Suhr PT-100?

RDH

Fractal Fanatic
lf I understand correctly the PT 100 is based on a tweaked 100 watt Plexi with a master volume. Any suggestions anyone might have to mimic the PT 100 would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Cliff??

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 4.44.33 PM.jpg Not to unduly promote a competitor, but just yesterday, Universal Audio released their Pete Thorn (jeez, that dood gets around) PT-100
sim, and I was checking it out just now when I saw this post...it sounds really good in my initial noodling...but I do have it set up using my III preFX.....

Last edited:
Yes I saw that, kinda what got me interested in this. Would be awesome if got a model of it!

I believe that there are significant differences between the OD-100 ( CA3+ ) and the PT 100 !

IIRC - John describes the Clean channel as his 'ideal' American style ( Fender ) clean .... For the Crunch Pete asked for something as close as John could get to the SL 68 ( Plexi style w/ lower filtering ), and obviously including a Master Volume .... Channel 3 is voiced essentially the same as the crunch channel, but it engages an additional gain stage. And CH 3 has a separate set of Gain and Level controls. Finally ..., for years the Boost was achieved by engaging an additional Tube stage, but the latest version has done away with that in favor of a "high-voltage" MOSFET boost ....

I think the best way to achieve this would be with 3 different amp models.

Thanks for the input and info! I mostly use fenders for my cleans, plexi’s for most of my crunch and leads( BE/HBE, Jcm 800, #34on some) try to keep it simple. I like Pete’s tones a lot. Messing with the master volume on the Plexi, I’m unsure what tweaks to do? Seems the master sounds and works best to me post pi. I know the transformer needs a tweak and probably preamp, but I have no idea where to go with it?

View attachment 49055 Not to unduly promote a competitor, but just yesterday, Universal Audio released their Pete Thorn (jeez, that dood gets around) PT-100
sim, and I was checking it out just now when I saw this post...it sounds really good in my initial noodling...but I do have it set up using my III preFX.....

To be totally honest, and judging from clips alone, I'm not that impressed with the PT100 plugin. Everything sounds a little too saturated and quite "flat" (no depth, not 3D). Maybe it sounds better when you're actually playing it.

To be totally honest, and judging from clips alone, I'm not that impressed with the PT100 plugin. Everything sounds a little too saturated and quite "flat" (no depth, not 3D). Maybe it sounds better when you're actually playing it.

I agree ... ! But I follow Pete on almost every social media platform and he's mentioned quite a few times that he's pretty impressed w/ the "feel" of the plug-in too. Based on that .., I kinda figured that YouTube's compression is messing with the quality of the tone ?

I agree ... ! But I follow Pete on almost every social media platform and he's mentioned quite a few times that he's pretty impressed w/ the "feel" of the plug-in too. Based on that .., I kinda figured that YouTube's compression is messing with the quality of the tone ?

Of course Pete says... :) He’s an endorser.

I really admire Pete, but his name is on it, I Don't know that he'd say too much negative about it.

I admire Pete for figuring out how to make a living playing guitar, and for always making equipment sound good. He’s the only YouTube star with his own guitar model I’ve ever seen playing a different guitar.

Owning a PT 100, and comparing to the plugin, I can tell you that the UAD plugin is close to the real thing. If I had to find a weakness, it's probably in the choice of IRs included. There are a few good ones, but I found myself bypassing and using my own IRs. If anything, I find the UA amp plugin a little strident for a lack of a better word. The real amp has a little more juice in the midrange.
That being said, the closest approximation to the real thing I hear in the Axe3 to the PT is using the CAE models and changing the tone stack to Plexi (or 800), change the tone stack frequency center and couple other tweaks.. Rhythm for Ch 2 and Lead for Ch 3. This gets me super close because when I disable the PA and run the preamp only sim into the FX return of the PT 100, it sounds and feels almost identical. YMMV. I will have to check out the Hook models...
Like any amp--real or modeled, speaker/IR choice has a big impact on the end result.

I'd be curious to know what frequency center you're using ?
And the 'other tweaks' that you speak of too ? ;)
I like around 700K. But, you can adjust based on the guitar and IR your using. Tweak the preamp Hi cut above the stock setting and negative feedback as well.

I have also found 3 IRs that I really like and they are the same on Pete mentions in his video of the plug in. 76,77,78.

I reworked the PT 100 preset and to my ears it's pretty much dead on to the real amp/cab. It has the tone and feel of the real set up.
I took @bradlake's advice and used the Hook model as the base and tweaked it by ear. I haven't spent much time with the Hook models, but I gotta give you props man, that thing is very good!
I'm posting some of my IRs of the matching 2x12 cab as well to mix and match if you wish.
Give it a try and hopefully you'll dig it. I'm loving it!

Attachments

• Suhr PT 100.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 328
  • U2-0020_PT 212a.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 314
  • U2-0021_PT 212b.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 308
  • U2-0022_PT 212c.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 306
  • U2-0023_PT 212d.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 308
Back