Suhr Modern build Floyd or no Floyd?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I am in the saving and getting specs together process for Suhr modern. I have owned guitars with Floyd Rose terms since 84 (double locking ones came out in 83 and back then there were only made in the USA Floyd Rose bridges). If you have had many different guitars with Floyds you know they can be cool for crazy stuff but also when temperamental a pain in the butt.
I have a Suhr classic and enjoy the tuning stability and no head no hassle approach. But something tells me the Suhr modern set up will be amazing. So for those with Floyd equipped moderns, are they stable and consistent?? Also does anyone know if Suhr has a non locking bridge that handles a little more aggressive term work than the bridge they put on the classic?
Don

Last edited:
No input on the suhr, but I'm curious about your axcess. I have an axcess and the Floyd is rock solid. It never goes out of tune and is stable? Even when hauling out in different temps. Mine is not the lifeson, so I don't have the graphtech version. I wonder if that's the diff?

Personally I like non locking setups. It's nice to have one Floyd setup, but they are a pain if you need to change tuning etc.. One is enough for me I think.

Currently my custom shop Lifeson Axcess LP is temperamental as all get out with tuning and I really don't do the dive bomb stuff hardly ever.

Put a little Carmex on both knife edges. ( I put a dab on the end of a tooth pic, back the stud out 1/3 turn, apply, then return stud to possition. ).....Works wonders.
It has to be Carmex in the yellow tube.

I purchased my first Floyd back when Kramer was their distributer. Over the years I've had many types. Just recently got my long awaited Suhr Custom Classic with the Gotoh Floyd. I must admit I was skeptical and wondered why Suhr didn't use a real Floyd. I was relieved to find out that it's silky smooth and rock solid. I'm getting use to the ratio on the fine tuners. They don't seem as smooth as one of my original Floyd's but nothing to complain about.

Out of curiosity what's the problem with the Lifeson Floyd? It' been my experience that if new strings are stretched and then locked there are no problems.

I just bought my first Suhr Modern with a recessed Gotoh Floyd Rose earlier this year and couldn't be happier with it. I'm a relatively heavy tremolo user (up, down, flutter, etc.) and my traditional go-to guitars were Ibanez Jems. I own several Les Pauls but have always gravitated towards Strats/SuperStrats. I now gig with three guitars: Suhr Modern, Black Jem 7V for drop-D, and White Jem 7V for backup (standard tuning) if I break a string on my Modern. For every song I find myself playing my Jem, I can't wait to finish and get the Suhr back in my hands! They're wonderful instruments. I tune all three at the beginning of a gig for ritual's sake, but typically don't have to make a single adjustment the whole night - tuning stability is perfection on all three. I also prefer the playability of the Suhr Floyd to Jem Floyd, and greatly prefer the Gotoh screw in tremolo bar to the Ibanez pop-in bar with the replaceable white washers.

There was quite an interesting thread on another Forum, where John Suhr, was discussing that he found the build quality of the Gotoh Floyds more consistent. But also on trem stability, the non locking one they use is a Gotoh 510 and very good, but the discussion was also around that one of the better set ups that could be done was a Floyd with no locknut and locking machines.

That makes some sense to me as locking machine heads with big bends nut sauce with a properly cut nut will work well, at the other end the bridge the strings can still move during tremolo use and may or may not return to the same position. With a Floyd at the bridge the strings can't move, so would contribute to stability.

I'm currently putting together a Warmoth and using a Gotoh 510 the same as Suhr uses, but on another I may try the Floyd bridge and no lock nut combo.

Interesting that Guthrie Govan, has a Floyd and non locking nut on the Charvel prototype.

Interesting that Guthrie Govan, has a Floyd and non locking nut on the Charvel prototype.

I ran across that video last night. I was surprised to see that the new Floyd he has is a remake of the original ones with no fine tuners. Makes sense in this context. Pretty cool setup and he demonstrated that he could do just about anything with it and have no tuning issues.

I'm no Guthrie so I'll stick with my locking Floyd regardless. \m/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dq-G5qzf8Y

Last edited:
I have 4 moderns. 3 with Gotoh Floyd and 1 Gotoh 510. A floyd is a floyd. I have Charvels with Original Floyds. They are all a touch temperamental. IME it's still a $200 hardware on a $3k instrument. Suhr does a fine job setting them up, tho. I prefer Floyd to the 510 for bc it feels more comfortable/support for my right hand playing. Modern body shape feels at home. I had to get used to the eliptical neck but now nothing else feels right anymore. Weird, but cool!

H302 great perspective, thank you or sharing! A 200$ gear on a 3k instrument can make or break your psyche about that instrument tho. But as you say Suhr sets em up well. My dilemma is do I want a locking set up when I don't go that crazy with the term these days???

CS, I don't go crazy on the bar either. I feel constricted with a hard tail, tho. I don't even put the bar on. I've developed a habit of just grabbing the bridge and give it a wiggle here and there to accent notes as I'm playing along. It's weird, I don't even notice I'm doing it. Also it's as I mentioned for right hand stability/comfort. Feels like something is missing if I play a guitar w/o one. Are you far from Wild West Guitars? They seem to have a good selection of Suhr's. I love looking at new guitars! Not that I need another axe. Ha, Ha. I'm selling off my Charvels and Jacksons on eBay now. Since I've discovered Suhr's on a whim(didn't feel like driving to NY city to try one), I don't play the others anymore. They are great but just not me anymore.

My dilemma is do I want a locking set up when I don't go that crazy with the term these days???

Since you have a Classic I would ask do you ever find yourself thinking that you need more from that trem? Or are you wondering if the "Modern" will bring back the whammy beating monster in you? :) I beat the shit out of mine (the trem that is) and I've yet to have any issues at all. The setup on these things are amazing.

CS, I don't go crazy on the bar either. I feel constricted with a hard tail, tho. I don't even put the bar on. I've developed a habit of just grabbing the bridge and give it a wiggle here and there to accent notes as I'm playing along. It's weird, I don't even notice I'm doing it. Also it's as I mentioned for right hand stability/comfort. Feels like something is missing if I play a guitar w/o one. Are you far from Wild West Guitars? They seem to have a good selection of Suhr's. I love looking at new guitars! Not that I need another axe. Ha, Ha. I'm selling off my Charvels and Jacksons on eBay now. Since I've discovered Suhr's on a whim(didn't feel like driving to NY city to try one), I don't play the others anymore. They are great but just not me anymore.
I am far from everyone and everything. I live in the foothills near Yosemite. I may pick your brain about the neck profile to opt for. I think the key was set up. I have had so many Floyds with no tuning issues and the recent deal with my Lifeson Les Paul was just cleared up with a trip to a Gibson authorized shop to get it set up correctly (today). Being isolated I was so frustrated with it and ready to throw in the towel with locking rigs.

Since you have a Classic I would ask do you ever find yourself thinking that you need more from that trem? Or are you wondering if the "Modern" will bring back the whammy beating monster in you? :) I beat the shit out of mine (the trem that is) and I've yet to have any issues at all. The setup on these things are amazing.

With my classic I really do not even use the wammy. I need to try and lube the nut to see if it makes a difference as the 510 Gotoh does go out with even mellow trem work. Set up is key, and Suhr is certain to deliver the goods!. I think I am now leaning toward the double locking rig! What shop to go with now to get the specs together??

Hi I just ordered this Exact Guitar with a Gotoh Floyd, Suhr Pickups, and a Ebony Neck. Mahogany Neck and Body... Six months build time... :-(

Last edited:
If I had it to do over I'd just call Suhr customer service. Nail down all the options with them. Then go shopping. It was my experience that each retailer I talked to had a different idea as to what was possible and what options were available. Even the prices for options weren't even close amongst the 3 retailers I talked to. One place charged an extra $200 for a reverse head stock when it was a free option elsewhere.

I won't mention the name of the retailer I bought from because I got a fair price and they weren't that bad to work with. But I wouldn't recommend them either. Definitely iron out the details with Suhr before shopping.

If I had it to do over I'd just call Suhr customer service. Nail down all the options with them.

That's what I did I called Suhr and spoke to Don for about 20 minutes, he was great we went through all the options and he explained everything in detail and gave me his recommendations. Great service..

CS: your in a tough spot as far as getting around. But you must have some great scenery? Took a while to get used to the .800-.850/1.65 eliptical necks after playing Charvels for years, but it feels natural now. I have a Pro I picked up from the musiczoo that has a .780-.830 neck, the other 3 are .800s.

Rain: Wow, that guitar looks sweet! Worth the wait, I'm sure. Really like the Whale Burst fade. Ebony just sets off the abalone very nicely. Basswood? I like the Suhr tuners even more than the Gotohs but didn't think I would.

I have a:
Fireburst Burl Maple/Basswood 2012
Trans WhaleBurst quilt/Basswood 2013
Honeburst Spalt Top Mahogany 2012
Purple Haze Pro alder 2013

They each possess their own magic, it's pretty crazy. Would like a Swamp Ash some day. Just haven't found one yet. Needs to be a trans honey or natural. I want to SEE the wood!!! Hmm... that sounds wrong! LOL Yes, I've spoken with Don and he's been very helpful. Since they are a small shop, it does take a little bit for them to get back to you, but they WILL. John reminds me of Cliff. They both run class shops, have superior products, top notch customer service, brilliant minds, and are accessible!!! They should meet if they haven't already. I got tired of giving my hard-earned money to faceless companies over the years.

I ran across that video last night. I was surprised to see that the new Floyd he has is a remake of the original ones with no fine tuners. Makes sense in this context. Pretty cool setup and he demonstrated that he could do just about anything with it and have no tuning issues.

I'm no Guthrie so I'll stick with my locking Floyd regardless. \m/

Guthrie Govan on switching to a retro-style Floyd Rose on his latest Charvel prototype - YouTube

Thanks for the link, if I did that I would still keep the fine tuners. I am no Guthrie, either but then again who is :D

Back
Top Bottom