Suhr Guitars

Kdog

Inspired
I've heard great things about this company. I own a lot of guitars but none of them are Suhr.

Can you Suhr owners shed some light on the playability of these fine guitars?

I really want a vintage modern.

Who is the best Suhr Dealer to buy from? I live in MD

Thanks
Kyle

I can't recall my dealer - bought one via eBay, but like PRS's, the quality on Suhr's is so consistently good that you needn't worry about it. I love mine. I also had John rewind a Tele neck pickup for me back in the day (when he worked for the Fender Custom Shop) and it turned out spectacularly. I think the only thing you really need to 'worry' about with Suhrs is the body style and the woods you want. Everything else is a no-brainer. Go get 'em!

FWIW, I bought a HSH configuration, and had the neck humbucking coil tapped by my tech (using a push/pull pot on the tone control). Turned out great.

Pete

My suhr is the best guitar I've ever played and has some of the best pickups I've ever heard. I've had hoards of PRS, Gibson, fender and, for me, the suhr blows them all away. Playing a modern with a HSH and coil tap configuration. The biggest thing to say about them is the absolute attention to detail. Every little thing from the angle of the routing to the neck joint carve to the placement of the pickup switch is well thought out and executed. The suhr makes me want to play. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on Suhr. Best guitars i played. Had a GG modern which was really nice, and then i got a Suhr Classic strat which suits my style better. Plays like butter and sounds great.
Only thing i am considering is noiseless pickups, maybe zexcoil, but havent decided yet.

I have two of them, an alder Standard six string and a Modern 7. Absolutely fantastic guitars all around. The attention to detail is up there, but for the price a few things could be a tad more.. well, attentive. For example, my $1400 Carvin CS has threaded inserts for the cavity covers, whereas my $2500 Suhr has drilled holes with wood screws. I know it's an insignificant detail, but I was surprised by it when I first popped the covers off. The inside of the cavity on my 6 had some splintering and some bits of wood and sawdust/splinters that were covered over with shielding paint as well. Again completely superficial, but just looking to answer your question. The cavities on my Carvin look quite a bit cleaner than the ones in my Suhrs, and a lot of the little sniggles with the Suhrs could have been solved with a few strokes of sandpaper on the bench before the shielding and clearcoat was done.

All in all I'm happy with them. With any guitar - especially ones as expensive as these - the key is to play one first. I bought both of mine through Matt's Music:

Welcome to Matt's Music!

And he was great to deal with. I've been there in person, and the shop is spotless and everything is extremely well cared for. He's the guy to go to IMO.

I have a Suhr Pro Series guitar. It's a great guitar. Very resonant. I also have an Anderson Drop Top. The neck on the Suhr is a bit beefier than the Anderson. Both guitars are in the same league with each other, but the Anderson is my main stage guitar.

Last edited:
I have a pro series modern with the original neck profile .780-.820 I like this profile much better than the gg profile that they are releasing the moderns with now. I also have a pro series s2 but the neck is just a touch chunky for my liking. I still prefer my PRS wide thin neck though (shame they don't do stainless frets)
The suhrs are both really resonant guitars and sound fantastic.

When I saw the Number 19..My first thought was....that was the guitar of my dreams. Then i tried for weeks to get on a waiting list for one and they said they were sold out.
Here is the number 19 View attachment 15105 incredible inlay. Jaw dropping. After they told me the price . I was Ok with not being able to get it. Looks like Suhr is the way to go. Vintage Modern w/ roasted maple neck is most likely my number one choice.

I really like the two single coils with the rear hum too. That would be the best configuration for me. And from what I have read in this forum is that the single coil pickups are best for the Axe Fx 2....Is this true? Or opinion.

I just bought this one suhr_GG1.jpg should be here in a few weeks, just fell for the top which is a lot darker and more heavily figured than most GG's I've seen, hope it plays good. Def needs black speed knobs.

Can't go wrong with a Suhr!
I've owned 14 of them and still have a bunch I use all the time.
It is all in how they are spec'd. Try as many as you can to find out what neckshapes, pickups etc you like.
Playability is all in the setup, but guitars in this league with great fretwork and so on are easy to set up just the way you like them. Same with comparable brands like Tyler and TA whom I also like a lot and play regularily.
Suhr is by far the one of these brands that lets you choose the most options though, for example: If you have a neckshape you love Suhr can copy it for your guitar!

I've owned 14 of them and still have a bunch I use all the time.

Damn, you win. I have two Suhrs, a Modern and a Classic Antique. They are fantastic guitars, they're my favorite 6's. I also have a Mayones Regius 7 which is also amazing, very playable just like the Suhrs.

I just tried some Suhr guitars last week, a GG Modern, another modern with a smaller neck profile and just as I ran out of time I checked the neck feel of a 80s shred tiger stripe which I wish I had had the time to play further. Even if the 80s tiger playability wise was perfect for me the look although very nice wouldn't be something I would want personally.

What I can report was all of the guitars were built to a fine level of detail and quality. I think what I would be looking for is a combination of different features which then would lead me down the custom route and so on.

I still need to try the Suhr classics, this may be the feel I may need but more on a modern with the extra frets.

My conclusion is that they are indeed good guitars if you find one to suit you or have it built.

My only Problem is If I buy one. I will not be able to test it out. I would have to just eye one up and order it. There don't seem to be any Dealers in a 100 Miles Radius were I live.

Plenty of Fender , Ibanez, Gibson, PRS dealers. Just no Suhr.

I really like the two single coils with the rear hum too. That would be the best configuration for me. And from what I have read in this forum is that the single coil pickups are best for the Axe Fx 2....Is this true? Or opinion.

As with everything else when it comes to sound, it's personal taste and preference. But for me, I definitely feel this is true. I've had my trusty JEM and AT100CL for a good while (AT100CL is all buckers, JEM only has a SC in the middle), and used those with the Axe until recently. Don't get me wrong, they sound great with the Axe as well, but I kinda felt that the last little magic bit of 'sparkle' was missing.

Then I bought an American Deluxe Strat a couple weeks ago, and the Axe truly came alive for me. The clarity and definition I felt was missing with the other two guitars were there in spades with the Strat :)

I have a Jem 7v too. Feel the same way you do. Dusted my Tele off and my Strat. Sounds magical through the Axe.

I have a Suhr Modern that is my Frankenstrat. Black cherry alder body with roasted maple neck and Indian rosewood fingerboard. Floyd Rose with locking nut, and I have EMG Xs right now, but I'm going to with some PAFs or some other sort of passive pu in the future. The guitar itself is flawless. Very light & ergonomic, very easy to play. The only complaint I have about Suhr is their headstock shape, but that's aesthetic and I'm sure there are plenty of people who like it.

Definitely opinion. I use both singles and humbuckers with the Axe and get excellent results with both. What I find is that certain amp models work better with single coils, and other amp models work better with humbuckers - just like real amps.

Back
Top Bottom