Suhr Guitars

I own a GG. I was disappointed at the QC. A knob came off. Guitar didn't stay in tune. And the pickup selector soldering was short circuited.

All is okay now. Plays great, sounds great, looks great.

I have the 80s tiger. The aldrich pups are massive. Best rock sound ever IMO. The guitar is amazing. I have a fender strat and Gibson Les Paul and an ibanez prestige. The Suhr blows them away. It sustains for days and just seems so easy to play. It plays very easy it's hard to believe it is strung with 10s.

I have a Pro Series S2. It's my #1 guitar. HSS pup configuration. The feel of the neck is incredible, and it always sounds great.

Here's my new GG modern, I've had a lot of great guitars but this is easily the best, superbly resonant (hold it into you and you can feel your organs vibrate lol). Fit and finish are exceptional, just needed a tiny trussrod tweak, which is pretty good coming from UK winter to Oz summer, so has had quite an extreme climate change. Very impressed so far.

2uomnu9.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought a Modern carve top quilt. Gotoh Floyd. HH pup configuration. Anxious for it to arrive. Bought it from Matt's Music. Nice guy.

Last edited:
My only Problem is If I buy one. I will not be able to test it out. I would have to just eye one up and order it. There don't seem to be any Dealers in a 100 Miles Radius were I live.

Plenty of Fender , Ibanez, Gibson, PRS dealers. Just no Suhr.

Kdog if you ever end up in northern virginia, I have Suhr#19 if you want to see it.

Tom

For Strat and SuperStrat style guitars, they are of the best. Tom Anderson is in that mix as well.

I've owned a couple Suhrs, and the level of finish, quality, playability, and level of care in set up and the quality of woods - for the price - were second to none. Unfortunately, I'm just an old school Lester cat with a side-bent for ESP Horizons. So it goes. Sold my Suhrs, and the buyers happily have them to this day.

I think they're making seriously good axes with awesome QC. Sorry to read your experience above Yek. I think this is an anomaly in the big scheme of things.

Mo

A NUMBER 19???????

OMG....I love that guitar.....I love the inlay on the fretboard. Post a pic!

A NUMBER 19???????

OMG....I love that guitar.....I love the inlay on the fretboard. Post a pic!

It is THE #19. Apparently all of the series are one offs never to be made again. I bought it at the Suhr party which was superb by the way. Doug Aldrich, Pete Thorn, Andy Wood, etc. at a very intimate and superb concert

I will take and post some pics. I have three fenders, a les Paul, a PRS, a Tom Anderson and the Suhr modern. It is as others say, a top notch well built guitar

It is THE #19. Apparently all of the series are one offs never to be made again. I bought it at the Suhr party which was superb by the way. Doug Aldrich, Pete Thorn, Andy Wood, etc. at a very intimate and superb concert

I will take and post some pics. I have three fenders, a les Paul, a PRS, a Tom Anderson and the Suhr modern. It is as others say, a top notch well built guitar

# 19, that must be cool to have that one ? is this it...

I tried # 16 recently as it has a C profile neck, rather than the asymmetric profile on the Guthrie Govan model. I've narrowed down the neck profile that I would like if I get one built. But #16 just felt neck wise so right, for me.

This was #16 that I tried.

These guitars are just beautiful works of guitar art.

r.e. the suhr modern spec sheet: -
i don't see the scale length. anyone know - is it 25.5 or 24.75?

edit: nevermind, google search seems to confirm 25.5.

Last edited:
If you live in MD, Rocket Music is in VA and is a great shop. I bought one of my Moderns from Dan. He was extremely helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. I own(and am now selling off my collection of Jacksons and Charvels on eBay) 2 moderns. One is a basswood with .010's and the other is a spalted top mahogany body that one I got from Rocket and they set it up with .009's for me no charge. You'll get great prices and great service there. There are other high quality builders for sure, but I was drawn to the asymmetrical shape of the modern to try it and it just fits right for me.

The Suhrs are quite a change for me with the elliptical neck and 800-850 profile, 1 5/8 nut. It took quite a while to get used to the neck, but now I do prefer it. I've had custom shop jacksons and charvels, Surh just seems to be more personal and care more. And to my eye, the build quality is higher. Their customer service will go out of their way to make things right for you, no doubt. Having said all that, to me, good guitars are like good women, they all have something special to give you.

I had an Strat style suhr. It was a beautiful guitar and well made no doubt,but I never really bonded with it I guess so I sold it.

thats the one. To see all of those guitars at the factory party was incredible.

# 19, that must be cool to have that one ? is this it...

I tried # 16 recently as it has a C profile neck, rather than the asymmetric profile on the Guthrie Govan model. I've narrowed down the neck profile that I would like if I get one built. But #16 just felt neck wise so right, for me.

This was #16 that I tried.

These guitars are just beautiful works of guitar art.

Marinescene....That must have been quite a party.

I asked about the 19 months ago. Tried to order it to no avail. I got various emails from suhr saying they would be in touch. Finally after getting in touch w/ some contacts I was told they were sold out. I think you got something special there.

Enjoy it... Must sound amazing.

Recently joined the Suhr Club, bought GG Suhr modern......easily the best guitar I've owned to date, that includes Musicman Luke, PRS & Parker Fly.
I love it ..... Can't seem to upload a photo for some reason, says I do not have permission..Weird!
Allowed me to change my Avatar though

Kdog if you ever end up in northern virginia, I have Suhr#19 if you want to see it.

Tom

Hey Tom,

I was jonesing on that guitar earlier today. You must live right. Nice guitar, what was your address again? :). Actually, saying its a "nice" guitar is like saying Jennifer Lawrence is "cute".

ScruffyDoo - that is a sweet guitar. My ohh my. My only problem with them, and it would never stop me from buying one, is that they named it a Guthrie Govan. Mind you I love his playing, and he seems like a really nice guy in interviews, but I cant get past thinking about finding a three foot long squiggly hair in my soup.

OP - buy a Suhr. I have been playing for 45 years. I have 26 guitars currently, includong a couple of PRS Cu24, a BFR Petrucci, a stunning 91 335, a gorgeous Custom Shop Les Paul Class 5, and several great Strats. I bought a Suhr Standard off of a board member here a couple of months ago. I havent touched another guitar since. It is incredible. Go for it.

Joe

Last edited:
I ordered a Suhr Classic in 2007, and was absolutely blown away by how quickly it was finished (1 month ahead of schedule). Easily one of the best guitars I've ever played. It's a keeper!

I should mention this is a custom color on the body - I provided a picture of the body color I wanted, much lighter than the normal sonic blue, and Suhr matched it perfectly. I think it is beautiful!

Specs:
Lightweight alder body, thin skin, not aged, custom color faded sonic blue
Even C fat neck, BRZ fretboard (dark straight grain), SS frets
510TS-FE1 bridge, Gotoh Kluson gears
FL pickups, SSC system, normal control layout
2007%2520Suhr%2520Classic%2520full.PNG

I've test-driven a few Suhrs in the store and loved everything about them, but always had other financial priorities. I was tempted by the Rasmus line which was made by an overseas provider, but Suhr ended the relationship because of quality control issues last year. They now make a line called Satin in-house which uses the same components but a different wood (African instead of Honduran mahogany) and comes with only a natural finish. At a price point of under $2k, I pulled the trigger the other day, should be in in next week. H-S-H, split-coil, jumbo SS frets, etc. I'm psyched, and I already am saving up for the guitar after that!

Back
Top Bottom