Suhr Classic T Pickups Sound Dull

bread

Power User
I have a Sur Classic T and the pickups sound really bass heavy and low output. Has anyone else had this experience with the stock pickups and resolved it somehow ?

I've adjusted the pickup heights and had the guitar set up by a professional luthier so its definitely the pickups that have this dull, bass heavy sound, very unlike a telecaster and other models I've tried. My main guitars have active Dimarzios (MM Luke 3) so will ofcourse, be far brighter, higher output etc but the contrast even between the Suhr single coil and my Fender Strat (with Mothers Milk passive single coil BKPs) is still a world apart.

Any ideas please ?

I have a Sur Classic T and the pickups sound really bass heavy and low output. Has anyone else had this experience with the stock pickups and resolved it somehow ?

I've adjusted the pickup heights and had the guitar set up by a professional luthier so its definitely the pickups that have this dull, bass heavy sound, very unlike a telecaster and other models I've tried. My main guitars have active Dimarzios (MM Luke 3) so will ofcourse, be far brighter, higher output etc but the contrast even between the Suhr single coil and my Fender Strat (with Mothers Milk passive single coil BKPs) is still a world apart.

Any ideas please ?
Tone control gone bad, or miswired? Wrong tone cap?
Your luthier would have caught those though.
What do they say?
Do they agree about the tone?

I recently acquired a Suhr classic T with those pickups and I would not describe them as dull or dark but this is my first tele style guitar so I don't have a proper reference.

Any ideas please ?
My Suhr Classic T is certainly not dark-sounding. I often roll-back the tone control a bit to keep things from sounding too strident.

If both of your pickups have the same problem, then I'd look into what they have in common ‐ wiring, pots, caps.

Did your Luther have anything to say about it? I'm sure he played through it before he gave it back to you.

Did your Luther have anything to say about it? I'm sure he played through it before he gave it back to you.

I did play it and it sounded OK through his old cronky valve amp but through the axe it sounds really dull

I did play it and it sounded OK through his old cronky valve amp but through the axe it sounds really dull
Weird, have you had the guitar for a wile Or is it new addition? You didn’t mention it in your post so I’m just to get a better frame of reference.

Weird, have you had the guitar for a wile Or is it new addition? You didn’t mention it in your post so I’m just to get a better frame of reference.

Had it about 2 years and it's always been like this.

Maybe it's that my other guitars are super bright ... who knows

Back
Top Bottom