Suhr/CAA PT50 Tone Match.

octatonic

Experienced
I had a go at doing a tone match today with the Axe FX 2 and my Suhr/Custom Audio Amplifiers PT50 head.

Here is the audio file:

http://www.jamesrichmond.com/misc/pt50_match/pt50_match1.mp3

First up is the original recording form the PT50, then the tone match.

Technical details:

Guitar: Suhr Modern with SSH+ bridge pickup and Gotoh Floyd.
Amp: CAA PT50, Channel 2, Gain 6, Bass 3, Mid 6, Treble 6, Level 4, Pres 4, Feedback at 11 O'clock, Whomp Off.
Cabinet: Zilla Fatboy 2x12 with Celestion Gold and Vintage 30 (Celestion Gold was miked).
Microphone: Sennheiser e609
Preamp: Groove Tubes ViPre at 1200ohm with Medium Fast Rise Time
Converter: Apogee Rosetta 800

Here is the Axe 2 patch: http://www.jamesrichmond.com/misc/pt50_match/pt50_match1.syx

What do you think?

Last edited:
I think it's "dead nuts". One of the tightest, most accurate comparisons I've heard yet. Excellent job!

Oooohh. I did not realise that it was a tone match in there..... That´s... that´s..... i´ll send my $$$ to G66 now !!!

Glad you like it guys.

Forgot to mention that I ran the Axe FX through the ViPre (at line level) as well on the way back into the Apogee converters to record it.

Listening back to it again and again. My compliments. It could very easily pass as the amp but you accidentally bumped the mic or even brushed a knob ever so slightly. Outstanding!

It does sound & feel different in the room going from one to the other but yeah I agree that the recording is very close with high-gain chord progressions.
IMHO it doesn't quite hold up with single notes- there is something with the note attack that doesn't quite nail it.
I'll try to do a comparison of that later.

This wasn't the first tone match I did of the PT50.
Initially I tried it with an SM57 and it came out quite honky.
Switching to the e609 and it was a lot smoother.

I wonder if there isn't a lesson here- try to use a relatively flat (if there is such a thing) microphone.
I have a bunch of other microphones that I will track with and see if it makes a difference.

Holy crap Jim - that's awesome!! (not sure I agree with brushing your knob while tone-matching though - unless you have an extra set of hands of course)
:)

Did you shoot an IR of the cab?

Hi,

Yes, I took two tone matches, one with my Custom Cab IR and one without.
I posted the one without for people to use.

Is there any facility to dump captured user cabs out of the Axe FX 2?
I didn't think there was.

For the sake of completeness here is a link to the patch with my custom cab in the signal path.
Can't imagine this being of use to anyone but I guess if you captured a Celestion Gold with an e609 you'd get most of the way there.

http://www.jamesrichmond.com/misc/pt50_match/pt50_match_custom_cab.syx

Last edited:
Holy crap Jim - that's awesome!! (not sure I agree with brushing your knob while tone-matching though - unless you have an extra set of hands of course)

I'm glad you don't agree since I was only being sarcastic because of how close they sound. :razz

Hi,

Yes, I took two tone matches, one with my Custom Cab IR and one without.
I posted the one without for people to use.

Is there any facility to dump captured user cabs out of the Axe FX 2?
I didn't think there was.

In the Utility menu you can dump the selected user cab to MIDI or USB. Axe-Edit should be able to do it too.

I'm glad you don't agree since I was only being sarcastic because of how close they sound. :razz

As was I about knob-brushing my friend - just being tongue-in-cheek! It obviously means something very different here in the UK. Either that, or I need to take my mind out and wash it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom