Suhr Aura

Wonder what the neck profile is like on this one. Never owned any Suhr guitars, and don’t know much about them.

I love the asymmetric slim taper on my Les Paul Standard, loathe the more “authentic” thicker neck profile on my Custom, even though it sounds great. I’ve been thinking what to replace it with ever since I got it.

Wonder what the neck profile is like on this one. Never owned any Suhr guitars, and don’t know much about them.

I love the asymmetric slim taper on my Les Paul Standard, loathe the more “authentic” thicker neck profile on my Custom, even though it sounds great. I’ve been thinking what to replace it with ever since I got it.

I'm a 60's slim taper guy myself. The standard is as thick as I can stand.

Here's the specs that Matts Music listed during the NAMM launch ....

SERIES – Limited Edition
MODEL – Aura - 20th Anniversary LE
BODY WOOD – Okoume
BODY TOP WOOD – Figured Maple
BINDING – Tinted Ivoroid
FINISH MATERIAL – Thin Skin Urethane Gloss
FINISH COLOR – Aged Cherry Burst, Caramel Burst, Tea Burst, Gold
HEADSTOCK – Aura
NECK PROFILE – Historic C .880" - .995"
SCALE LENGTH – 24.625"
NECK JOINT – Long, wide tenon neck joint
NUT WIDTH – 1.687"
NUT MATERIAL – Unbleached Bone
# OF FRETS – 22
FRET SIZE – Heavy
FRET MATERIAL – Nickel Silver
RADIUS – 10"-12"
NECK WOOD MATERIAL – Khaya
FINGERBOARD MATERIAL – Indian Rosewood
PICKUP CONFIGURATION – H/H
NECK PICKUP – Thornbucker
MIDDLE PICKUP – N/A
BRIDGE PICKUP – Thornbucker Plus
PICKUP SELECTOR – 3-Way Toggle
CONTROLS – V / V / T / T
ELECTRONICS – 50's Wiring with 150 Style Capacitors & CTS Pots
BRIDGE – Tone Pros NVR-2 w/ tailpiece
TUNERS – Suhr Locking
HARDWARE FINISH – Nickel Chrome
OTHER – COA signed by John Suhr

It's based on a real 59. Why wouldn't it be?

The funny part is ; historically , Gibson necks were all different , regardless of the year , since the necks were shaped by hand.
My friend has an original 1958 Les Paul , and it has the thinnest neck I've ever played.

No, that’s not what I’m saying. Of course tastes differ. They aren’t doing a reissue anyway - what with those tone woods. It just always saddens me to see otherwise fine guitars with bats for necks.
Wait until the first 100 are done, then I bet you can order them with thinner necks ;)

Dunno, I'd be down for a high quality Suhr-made LP. Gibson quality has gone way downhill in the recent years, after they refocused away from making quality instruments and towards milking their lawyer/collector clientele. They're kind of like Leica nowadays: storied heritage and has its moments, but way too much for what it is. Suhr is pricy, but you're getting truly high end product.

Too bad they're only making 100 of these.

Dunno, I'd be down for a high quality Suhr-made LP. Gibson quality has gone way downhill in the recent years, after they refocused away from making quality instruments and towards milking their lawyer/collector clientele. They're kind of like Leica nowadays: storied heritage and has its moments, but way too much for what it is. Suhr is pricy, but you're getting truly high end product.

Too bad they're only making 100 of these.

I agree about Gibson QC issues , but get the price on this Aura first , then compare it to the same priced LP.
I would guess you're looking at Gibson reissue prices.

No matter the price level, I just don't trust Gibson anymore. I do trust Suhr, and I have several of their guitars, they're all second to none. Their pricing is like a pro boxer hit to the liver though, I acknowledge that. :)

No matter the price level, I just don't trust Gibson anymore. I do trust Suhr, and I have several of their guitars, they're all second to none. Their pricing is like a pro boxer hit to the liver though, I acknowledge that. :)

That's the only bummer for me when it comes to a Suhr guitar, their pricing for a nice guitar is in the stratosphere pun intended. People shouldn't have to pay 3-4k for well equipped guitar that comes off an assembly line from any manufacture.

Back
Top Bottom