Suggestions to improve this tone. Any advice appreciated (Sweep/Cafo tone)

Hi everyone,

I have been reading a lot of posts about getting tight bass sound and about recording on this forum. It has been really helpful and just wanted to thanks everyone for their input.

Now onto the issue at hand, I am trying to record with my Axe XL+/ Logic x and output going to my Blackstar amp.

1)The cafo patch and clip is provided. Sorry for my sloppy cafo sweep but I feel like the bass is still muddy in the sweeps. How should I make it better?

2)The other clip is a general sweeping tone, I am looking for a malmsteen/ tosin abasi in between sweep tone.

Both the presets are provided along with soundclips.
What do you guys think about the tones? Please free to give honest opinion cause I am just a noob. Thank you.

Attachments

• Sweeping only.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
  • cafo .syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
I would start by using less distortion. Very difficult to get clarity with this much drive.
Use as little as you can and try different types. Perhaps a drive block that is somewhat transparent w a fairly clean amp block.
Experiment with high preamp distortion/ low master vol, and low preamp/high master. Depends on which amp model.

@Burn Witch Burn Thank you for the reply.
I am using the drive from the amp and not the overdrive pedal(using it to tighten the bass).For the cafo the input drive is at 5.63 and mv is at 2.79 using dasmetal. For the other one input drive is at at 6 using Friedman BE.

For both I am using ML Usa djent cabs: For cafo Misha Mix 3 and sweep using MLUSA DJENT MD421 18.

@Burn Witch Burn Thank you for the reply.
I am using the drive from the amp and not the overdrive pedal(using it to tighten the bass).For the cafo the input drive is at 5.63 and mv is at 2.79 using dasmetal. For the other one input drive is at at 6 using Friedman BE.
For both I am using ML Usa djent cabs: For cafo Misha Mix 3 and sweep using MLUSA DJENT MD421 18.

Hey man. Yes, but I don't think you're going to get your sound by getting specific settings from the forum. ...Too many variables (your listening environment alone could be playing many tricks on you - play in larger rooms if you can - and at different volumes). I would guess you are a younger player who is chasing speed. That's cool. Now is the time to work on that. (I could probably play faster at 19 years old than I can now). But there comes a time where other things become more important. ...Tone, making a statement, songwriting, etc. ...depends on the person. For what you're after right now, you have to take an honest look at your left and right hand and the coordination between them (as well as picking style & attack). I hear more distortion than tone in your clip. Not a knock, just honest. I think the next step on your quest lies in your hands more than the tight bass on the amp block or distortion, etc. Do it clean then add the gain.

By the way, it's great that you posted audio. Many posters on this forum don't. Listen to what the greats do. To my ears, most of them focus mostly on sustain and harmonic overtones when they reach for distortion (rather than saturation as a priority or mask for imperfections).

I think you have to dig in and experiment. ...perhaps for years before you find your voice - your GTR heroes would have never gotten their tone from an internet forum. No substitute for critical listening. Get into the quest, spin some knobs and listen to your own inner voice. If you can't find it in the Axe, you won't find it anywhere. Happy hunting. ...it's an ever-evolving quest, my friend!

Back
Top Bottom