Suggestions on what you've done to enjoy 18.03

I wish the guys at FAS could put a fix in on this. But I don't know if they know exactly what it is. There are a lot of people with similar issues. I decided to go back to 17.04. I thought I had it licked but something wasn't right. I'd love to explore and enjoy 18 but right now I'm staying in 17 land and enjoying it.

DANZI & JT2: As I've been reading this thread today, I remembered experiencing something similar to what you're describing somewhere in the first few v17.xx releases. What I did, and was suggested by another forum member, was to get a fresh download of the firmware update to reinstall it (might as well go with 18.04 now). As it turned out, it was the downloaded file itself that was corrupt in the first place, and after I did this everything sounded as it should. It drove me nuts until I did as was suggested with the fresh download.

You should try it, it's worth a shot. Then if neccessary update all amps, or system parameters even, and if you need to even start a fresh preset from scratch as others have mentioned. Your issue definitely sounds like it is more than a dislike of the changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT2
Hmmm...not sure what you mean by this? I know there are different plate lengths in 12AX7s, for example, but where are you accessing this parameter in the AFX?

Axe-Fx II Firmware Release Notes
Added “Preamp Tube Type” parameter to Amp block. “Modern” (default) selects a triode characteristic representative of modern production tubes. “Vintage” selects a characteristic typical of tubes produced in the 50’s and 60’s. “Long Plate” replicates the softer saturation characteristic of so-called “Long Plate” triodes.

DANZI & JT2: As I've been reading this thread today, I remembered experiencing something similar to what you're describing somewhere in the first few v17.xx releases. What I did, and was suggested by another forum member, was to get a fresh download of the firmware update to reinstall it (might as well go with 18.04 now). As it turned out, it was the downloaded file itself that was corrupt in the first place, and after I did this everything sounded as it should. It drove me nuts until I did as was suggested with the fresh download.

You should try it, it's worth a shot. Then if neccessary update all amps, or system parameters even, and if you need to even start a fresh preset from scratch as others have mentioned. Your issue definitely sounds like it is more than a dislike of the changes.

I'm up for the changes. Anticipated some great new stuff. But it didn't cut it. Blanket over the cab kind of sound. I checked everything and couldn't find it. I'll download a new 18.04 folder and do it again later. Hope your right.

I too am up for change and don't have a problem messing with things (within reason of course) time permitting. Going to try the new update now and reset as well. Can anyone tell me...if the reset doesn't help, will loading up the old FW with my presets and system settings get me back to where I am right now? (I'm still on 17.04)

No one on the beta team (which is quite large btw) or here at the company has experienced this so we can't fix what isn't broke. There was an issue that was fixed in 18.04 but other than that everything is working as intended. I think some people just don't like the improved realism, and that's fine. If you look up that poll that was done recently those people represent 3% of the users. If you don't like the improved realism, stick with what works for you.

Let's take a simple poll : Does G3 (V18) has that extra AMP mojo over G2 (V17) - View Poll Results

Understood. But the difference between 17 and 18, for Danny and I are quite dramatic. Something just isn't translating to the firmware the way it should. I'm not giving up yet.

I too am up for change and don't have a problem messing with things (within reason of course) time permitting. Going to try the new update now and reset as well. Can anyone tell me...if the reset doesn't help, will loading up the old FW with my presets and system settings get me back to where I am right now? (I'm still on 17.04)

If you downloaded the new presets I believe you have to go back and load the older ones. Not quite sure where they are. Al Grenadine has a boat load of good stuff here axefx.fr
but I don't know which presets to load for 17.04 from Als' site. Maybe someone will chime in.

dang Jersey dudes...always causing trouble...

LOL! Not by choice, I promise! :)

If you downloaded the new presets I believe you have to go back and load the older ones. Not quite sure where they are. Al Grenadine has a boat load of good stuff here axefx.fr
but I don't know which presets to load for 17.04 from Als' site. Maybe someone will chime in.

I probably didn't explain it right. When I do a reset after a FW update, does this do anything destructively that can't be fixed by reloading 17.04, my system file and my personal presets? I'm not concerned with any of the factory presets as none of them are good for *me*. I just don't want to do some reset and find out that what I have that works, no longer sounds right due to something destructive that can't be changed...understand what I mean?

Reactions: JT2
I had issues with a couple of earlier firmware updates and resolved them by fully wiping the system to factory settings. There was a sysex file posted a while back (can't find it at the moment) that would clear all of the memory. I'm not sure if this is still a valid approach, but I would recommend checking with support. I was experiencing amp sound that was just not right and after a full clean and reflash the issue was resolved. I have no idea what caused it, but I suspect there may have been some uninitialized or improperly set default values that were affecting the modeling.

If you're pretty sure that your ears aren't just playing tricks on you, then it's definitely worth a shot.

I probably didn't explain it right. When I do a reset after a FW update, does this do anything destructively that can't be fixed by reloading 17.04, my system file and my personal presets? I'm not concerned with any of the factory presets as none of them are good for *me*. I just don't want to do some reset and find out that what I have that works, no longer sounds right due to something destructive that can't be changed...understand what I mean?

I'm not 100% about that. I'm from NJ so's sumone smatter den me can anwswer that for yous.

If you save all your presets before updating using fractalbot, if you decide to go back, you just import your presets again and all will be exactly as you left.

Ok, anyone having the problems I mentioned in this thread.....update to new firmware, utility/reset tab, reset system params....I can't believe how drastic the sound difference is. It's either a fixed FW 18.04 or the reset. I'm back to sounding like me and it even sounds a little tighter in my opinion in some instances. This is by far more workable for me...wow....I can't believe the difference. I didn't even lose any gain, which the last time I did the update, I lost gain and picked up this boxy low mid sound. Not the case now. Thank you all once again for everything!

By the above I'm assuming you got 18.04 sounding good for you !!! super if that's the case. I have no idea what might've gone wrong I have always just updated FW never bothered with reset system params any of that.

Ok, anyone having the problems I mentioned in this thread.....update to new firmware, utility/reset tab, reset system params....I can't believe how drastic the sound difference is. It's either a fixed FW 18.04 or the reset. I'm back to sounding like me and it even sounds a little tighter in my opinion in some instances. This is by far more workable for me...wow....I can't believe the difference. I didn't even lose any gain, which the last time I did the update, I lost gain and picked up this boxy low mid sound. Not the case now. Thank you all once again for everything!

Glad your back on track Dan. That boxy low mid sound is exactly what I've got. I'll try again tonight.

Axe-Fx II Firmware Release Notes
Added “Preamp Tube Type” parameter to Amp block. “Modern” (default) selects a triode characteristic representative of modern production tubes. “Vintage” selects a characteristic typical of tubes produced in the 50’s and 60’s. “Long Plate” replicates the softer saturation characteristic of so-called “Long Plate” triodes.

I often use long plates in amps with difficult heating lead dressing, such as the late "Rose Morris" type Vox AC30s with PCB design, not because of the saturation behavior , more because they don't pickup hum as the other short plates dual triodes do. Same goes for the earlier H&K Cream Machines, Crunch or Metalmaster tube tools.

Best long plate IMO is the JJ ECC803....

That's good news! Did you try the Brit800 and Brit800 mod?

That's good to hear but at the same time puzzling. It is starting to look like the key is doing the System Reset.

Good to hear Danny! :D

Just to chime in for info purposes really, I had similar issues when I updated to the first 18 beta. All the body in my favourite presets was lost and they sounded empty and boxy with no sustain. It felt like I had accidentally turned down the volume on my guitar or bypassed the amp block. I just reverted back to 17 and waited for the official release of 18. I updated again when this was released but encountered the same issue so I figured it was just a case of starting from scratch and I managed to get some of the meat back into my tones but tbh it still didn't feel quite right, at least not as nice to play as 17 was. Even the new factory presets sounded kind of average. After reading through this thread I installed 18.04 and did a system reset at the same time and bang there it was back to full meaty goodness and sounding fabulous again which was a hell of a relief because I was starting to think I was either going mad, or simply didn't appreciate the new 'reality'.

I have an XL (and before that a std and MKII) and religiously follow the correct update process using fractal bot. I've never experienced this before so it must be some kind of very random glitch that occurs occasionally?

Back
Top Bottom