Suggestions on Semi-Hollow Guitar Tones

Hello,
I started arranging a Axe-Fx III patch that I need for my semi-hollow guitar. My current patch is a Friedman HBE 2018 and Dizzy V4 Blue 2 with some overdrive and a bit of EQ. So far it's a decent starting point but still feel it needs additional work. Does anyone have suggestions on other amp combos and settings to achieve a solid hard rock type sound? Thanks!

Don't give up on those amps until you've spun through the cabs to see what you prefer.

I use that trick where you have two cabs but have a .06 delay on one of them to help fatten tone. Also can help tame the highs. Might be worth trying out.

Don't give up on those amps until you've spun through the cabs to see what you prefer.

Thank you. I've started to explore more of the cabs options as I've been moving forward in my learning. At the moment I've been running the Axe-Fx III into a my Mesa 4x12 Traditional cabinet and a virtual Mesa 4x12.

I favor some variant of a pre rola Greenback 4x12 (FAS or 3rd party) to rock with the HBE or VH4 (And many more amps). With higher gain on a hollow or semi hollow guitar, I reduce the low mid resonance of the instrument itself: typically minus a couple of db in the 300hz - 800hz region, though sometimes it needs to get fancier. Since the III has amp block PEQ: I'd give that a go, (on the AX8 its nice to precisely target it with a separate PEQ block: which has the advantage that its guitar specific and can move to just those presets the guitar is used with without fussing under the hood with advanced parameters).

With a 335 type guitar, I gravitate toward the classics. I've got a PRS hollowbody (so it's not exactly a semi-holow) and I go Marshall all the way for a hard rock tone. The PRS has 5708 pickups which are mid level output humbuckers that cut great and the Marshall's just work and take OD pedals very well.

I like the jubilee and 1987x.

I pretty much don't mind what model is on as long as the master is pretty much dimed. Try the vibrolux too. One of the great surprises of my life was finding out how good semi hollows sound with a ton of gain and crunch.

clean fat jazz tones...
giphy.gif

I pretty much don't mind what model is on as long as the master is pretty much dimed. Try the vibrolux too. One of the great surprises of my life was finding out how good semi hollows sound with a ton of gain and crunch.
That's going to be dependant on the model. Some amps are not designed to ever push the MV into distortion.

Back
Top Bottom