Suggestions Needed for settings to record Ovation acoustic through Axe-FXII

DFauvre

Inspired
I am recording a singer/songwriter album. I just bought the Axe-Fx II....it's a monster!! : ) I need suggestions on settings for recording with an Ovation acoustic. Do I drop out the amp and cab? I want as close to a real acoustic guitar sound as possible adding in reverb and chorus. Also would like suggestions for recording a bass. I assume the processing in the Axe FX is going to much better than using a chorus and verb in Logic? Also, what settings do people use when recording off the PU of an acoustic? The amp if one is used at all is problematic as it can make the acoustic PU sound like a weird electric guitar...thanks for any help.:)

Lose the amp and cab. When you mic up the acoustic for the recording (make sure you spend the time to find the 'sweet spot' for the microphone, or it won't sound good), do a tone match while you're at it and use the resulting TM block as your acoustic pre when going direct. Unfortunately there is a bug in the TM block in V10 so to do this, you'll need to revert to 9 or wait for the V10 bug fixes to come out.

Lose the amp and cab. When you mic up the acoustic for the recording (make sure you spend the time to find the 'sweet spot' for the microphone, or it won't sound good), do a tone match while you're at it and use the resulting TM block as your acoustic pre when going direct. Unfortunately there is a bug in the TM block in V10 so to do this, you'll need to revert to 9 or wait for the V10 bug fixes to come out.

Great suggestions. I would still like to have someone tell me where to get presets for direct recording of acoustic guitars through their PUs. Someone has to have done this already.

Also, when I want to create new presets, how do you decide which presets to overwrite? how do you erase them?

There are some IRs of the fishman aura pedal floating about on the forum somewhere, and these sound quite good for going direct with an acoustic. They won't sound as good as a tone match to your own guitar and may need some EQ on top, but they are reasonable.

To start a blank preset, copy the final preset 'bypass' into the preset slot you wish to replace and go from there. Personally I tend to replace all the bare amp tone presets, and keep all the crazy effect ones - these can be really useful in teaching you how to use/achieve certain effects and sounds.

Back
Top Bottom