Suggestions for semi-hollow body guitars

lscottk

Experienced
I'm looking to purchase a semi-hollow body guitar. I've owned a few over the years, including a 67' ES-345, 2 different Ibanez AS-100s, an Ibanez AS-200, an Ibanez LR-10, and a custom built Heatley with a chambered body and no "f" holes. My favorite of the bunch was the LR-10. Unfortunately I had to sell nearly all of my guitars due to financial hardship. As I recover financially I am rebuilding my guitar collection. Next up is a 335 style guitar.

I'm looking for suggestions. I've got about $1200 - $1500 to spend. I like fatter necks. I'm looking for a more classic 335 tone for blues edge of breakup type tones, as well as tones with a bit of grit - think Larry Carlton. The prices on the LR-10 have gone up significantly, plus the neck profile is thinner than my ideal. Looking at used instruments rather than new.

Does anyone have a favorite that they would recommend I check out? I'm especially interested in lesser known brands that offer great bang for the buck.

you're described a Heritage H-535 exactly. I have one and it's better than any Gibson 335 I've played.

edit: exactly except for the price issue.

Last edited:
@bradlake I got a a wolfe version of the 535. It's the only guitar now that's never in it's case. I also got two others: a H575 and an H150

@lscottk there is a pretty clean 535 on Reverb now for $1850. It's a little over your price range, but you may be able to come to a deal somewhere between. Imho, a used Heritage may be the best guitar value there is.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I was looking at Heritage as well. I'vennever played one. They look like great instruments. How would you describe the neck profile?

I was checking out the Wolfe Guitars website. There are some beautiful instruments there, for sure. Pricing is a bit more than I wanted to spend, though. Perhaps I'll wait until I can put additional money into my guitar fund.

@Randy4Guitars, what differentiates the Wolfe version from a standard build?

I was checking out the Wolfe Guitars website. There are some beautiful instruments there, for sure. Pricing is a bit more than I wanted to spend, though. Perhaps I'll wait until I can put additional money into my guitar fund.

@Randy4Guitars, what differentiates the Wolfe version from a standard build?
They claim to be the largest Heritage dealer, and have a close relationship with them and do a fair amount to spec....the 535 I got from them is a custom build made for a longtime Wolfe employee..don’t know the details of @Randy4Guitars axes of course.....

Attachments

• 35C648B0-F031-4E1D-8281-17FE065624D0.jpeg
    35C648B0-F031-4E1D-8281-17FE065624D0.jpeg
    688.5 KB · Views: 14
That's a beautiful sunburst. It looks to mint... The thing is, at $1850 I'm tempted to look for another LR-10. I loved the one that I had. Other than the neck profile, which was okay, but not necessarily my favorite.

I like thicker neck profiles. How would you describe the neck thickness on your Heritage?

My 555 is just like playing a vintage Gibson. They are made in the old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo using the original Gibson tools. If you like vintage Gibson guitars but can’t afford a vintage Gibson, then The Heritage is for you. The neck feels great just like a late 50’s, early 60’s Gibson.

I have two Heritage guitars. I have the H-555 we have been discussing, and I have a Sweet 16. The Sweet 16 is a fabulous jazz box. Pretty much everyone who has played it wants to buy it. It’s definitely not for sale.

My 535 looks exactly like @bradlake 's lol.

I'd say the necks on all my heritages just feel right. The 535 isn't too thick but it's definitely not too thin. I had an Artcore Ibanez a while back and I recall the neck on that was definitely thinner than my 535, but it played well and stayed in tune. Not sure if that compares to your LR10. From memory I'd say the 335 neck was beefier but it's been a while since I've held a 335 so I may be wrong.

I was trying to find the Wolfe model "upgrades" and I can't find it. It's probably on his website somewhere or in those youtube vids, but I think it was his preferred tone pots, wiring, bridge, and wood selection. They are probably just different, rather than upgrades over the factory standard version, as my 150 and 575 are older standard models but are really nice players too. So I wouldn't say there was any quality issue with the standard stuff, it's just different. Some people like the old HRW pickups, some people hate them and so on. The listings on Reverb will probably have a good range of different options, but I wouldn't get hung up on that. I look for a good quality instrument that looks like it's had decent care.

The heritage owners club had a pretty active forum and they had all kinds of discussions about model differences, so you might want to check that out for more info.

Check out https://www.prestigeguitars.com/musician-pro-dc-vb/
I bought this model. I was looking for a 335ish guitar but I always found the neck a bit too “small” for me. I tried a lot of 335s before I happened upon the Prestige Guitars which are made right in my backyard. The description of the neck is in the link. It is a bit wider, has a flatter radius and what they call a “C” profile.

I ended up finding and buying a used one on Craigslist the day I was going to buy a new one and saved $600+ Can$.

This summer I was driving across from Quebec through Kalamazoo so I stopped at Heritage Guitars and had a great time getting a tour and playing all their models in”Rendal’s Lounge”. He’s a great guy and a real piece of Gibson history. I tried the 535 and although they are very nice guitars I have to say I have zero regrets in having bought the Prestige.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom