Suggestions for new studio gear.

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
I pretty much play live and haven't recorded in a few years. I'm throwing together a studio in my basement in a house I just built. The room is total concrete for storm shelter purposes and it was so boomy that you couldn't hardly talk to anyone inside. I put acoustic sound panels everywhere and now it is tight sounding but I need some suggestions on newer recording gear that is mid priced. I am thinking the Yamaha HS8 speakers but don't know what recording software to use. Pro tools still a good choice? we will be using real drums at some point but I still want drum software like maybe Superior drummer 2.0. Also, I have a nice and new laptop but should I use a desktop instead? I have an interface but its just a 2 channel focusrite Scarlet so I might need a bigger one with more channels. what else am I missing?

I use Reaper for my DAW and so do a lot of others on this forum, I'm willing to bet. It's 60 bucks and just as powerful as Pro Tools. Download the trial and you'll see what I mean. Superior Drummer works well as does EZ Drummer 2, but you might wanna avoid certain expansions/kits that everyone and their mother uses, like Superior's stock Avatar kit. I use Equator D5's for monitors and they sound really great. FWIW. Never tried the Yamahas. I don't think you need a bigger interface if you're only recording one instrument at a time. Unless you're tracking real drums, that one will do you just fine.

Interface depends on how many inputs you need. I have an Apollo Quad, Babyface RME and a Focusrite Saffire 40. All good. The Saffire 40 is a nice value and great quality. Superior is a good program. Tweakable to a realistic sound. I have it, BFD Eco, EZ Drummer and Studio Drummer. I like the sounds of Kontakt Studio Drummer best. At least the snares and cymbals. I use Logic X on iMac and have Adams A7X for monitors. Lots of choices out there.

I would highly recommend Reaper. There are tons of VST plugins out there that work excellent with it as well. I run easy drummer 2.0 through it for drums and have no issues whatsoever. You did the most important thing already, treating the room for frequency build up and sound reflections. There are lots of VST drum programs out there that are great, so it pays to look around and research a bit to see what you need. I'm happy with ED2. Reaper itself is very powerful and every plugin I've tried trough it has worked flawlessly as well. It has tons of customizing features and capabilities.

I would highly recommend Reaper. There are tons of VST plugins out there that work excellent with it as well. I run easy drummer 2.0 through it for drums and have no issues whatsoever. You did the most important thing already, treating the room for frequency build up and sound reflections. There are lots of VST drum programs out there that are great, so it pays to look around and research a bit to see what you need. I'm happy with ED2. Reaper itself is very powerful and every plugin I've tried trough it has worked flawlessly as well. It has tons of customizing features and capabilities.
Thanks, I'm going with Reaper and superior drummer I think. Thanks for the feedback man.

Upsides of using Logic pro X is the drums are; included, easier to use, and just as good as superior drummer. Logic has free upgrades and the included plug ins are really useable.
For the DAW I recently upgraded to Universal Audio Apollo twin which is amazing!

Mancave/studios rule!

You'll love Reaper. The Reaper forum is super helpful and everyone there is really enthusiastic and friendly.
Thanks, I'm going with Reaper and superior drummer I think. Thanks for the feedback man.

Avoid the Lounge over there though. Complete and total cess pool. Fractal lounge is for discussing off topic things in a calm, rational, and civil manner. Not so over there. Some of those folks look for things to bitch about in every post. It's a freakin feeding frenzy. I've got thick skin, but that place is too much for even me. Don't need that crap in my life.

You've been warned. =)

Got everything set up and now trying to figure out how to get it all to work. Trying to get Superior drummer 2 into Reaper. The Yamaha HS8 speakers sound really good. I had my kids rap music running through them last night and they thumped my chest hard. No need for a sub at all. What is the best Metal expansion for Superior drummer? Metal foundry?

Got everything set up and now trying to figure out how to get it all to work. Trying to get Superior drummer 2 into Reaper. The Yamaha HS8 speakers sound really good. I had my kids rap music running through them last night and they thumped my chest hard. No need for a sub at all. What is the best Metal expansion for Superior drummer? Metal foundry?

Browse through your folders on the hard drive. There will be a dll file inside the superior drummer folders that needs to be moved to the plugins folder under the reaper folder. I'm not near my computer or I could screen shot it. After it has been moved, restart reaper, add a new track and select the FX for the track be superior drummer. I am sure I'm forgetting a few clicks here and there, but I don't have my laptop with me. Hope that helps some lol

Browse through your folders on the hard drive. There will be a dll file inside the superior drummer folders that needs to be moved to the plugins folder under the reaper folder. I'm not near my computer or I could screen shot it. After it has been moved, restart reaper, add a new track and select the FX for the track be superior drummer. I am sure I'm forgetting a few clicks here and there, but I don't have my laptop with me. Hope that helps some lol
Thanks so much. Hopefully I'll get it after I spend some time with it.

likewise you can click the "insert" dropdown from the top and pick add virtual instrument, when you do it this way it'll also ask you if you want to set up multiple outs for the program automatically so you can send different drums to each of them for independent processing :)

likewise you can click the "insert" dropdown from the top and pick add virtual instrument, when you do it this way it'll also ask you if you want to set up multiple outs for the program automatically so you can send different drums to each of them for independent processing :)

Ah yes, I forgot about that. I always set different drums that way for level balancing/compression/eq. I knew I was forgetting a few things without having my computer in front of me hahaha.

Given your hope to do drums in the future- get a Saffire 56 and a lightpipe unit
I think the liquid pres will get you pretty far too

however- it's all junk next to the Universal Audio Stuff-

Back
Top Bottom