Suggestions for monitor to dial tones in bedroom?

JoeyBTL

Inspired
Hey guys. So, I have an Axe II and with my band I always use a Mackie HD1221 for practice and live and I love it, it sounds great, all that stuff. At home I have a set of M-audio BX5a's and I just run an xlr to the back of one of them for my home jamming. Obviously they don't sound nearly as good as the HD1221 does and lately I'm just tired of not being able to properly dial in my tones at home (the 1221 stays at my drummers house). The M-audios sound somewhat decent but they just aren't close enough and I end up spending too much time trying to tweak things they won't even translate the same way to what it will actually sound like. I can even plug the Axe into the front of my Fender 212R and the dynamics come through a lot better. The eq is way off but it just reminds me of what I'm always missing at home.

I haven't really looked into different FRFR powered monitors in forever because I love my HD1221 and it suppresses my GAS so I'm not really up on whats new and good in the speaker world and what the best options for me might be. I'm not looking to spend a ton since its just for bedroom, so I don't need tons of volume, I just want something that can actually represent the Axes tone so I can be happy playing and dialing in the way the Mackie would. I don't mind spending for quality but I'm just hoping its not necessary to for what I want. Another HD1221 would be perfect obviously but I feel its a bit overkill in size and price. Maybe around the $3-400 range? If theres something worth it thats a little more I'm open to options.

One of the best options I've seen with the research I did seems to be the Alto TS110A. The price stands out the most. It seems like its a little cheap for what its putting out. But I'm not dead set on a full size PA speaker. Would you guys recommend just getting a single studio monitor like a KRK or something? I'd just like the best option, the right option for me for the money.

tl;dr - powered monitor for accurate bedroom tone dialing?

Thanks!

IMO you're not going to find anything that's going to translate perfectly to the HD1221, especially at a low price. If I were you I'd just get another HD1221 or transport your current one back and forth and play it at low volume at home.

Id rather not take it back and forth so I'm not considering that as an option. And I know it's not going to be the EXACT same sound as what will come through the Mackie but Id like something close.

It's likely that your problem is caused by levels, not by your choice of monitor. Even your HD1221 will sound thin at bedroom levels, compared to how it sounds at gig levels. Dial your tones at volume; you sort of have to accept that they won't translate so well to bedroom levels (unless you dial in a second set of presets for the bedroom).

I completely understand that the levels affect the tone. I know that. I'm not looking for something that recreate my exact sound of a cranked HD1221. I want something better than the m-audios. I've played on the mackie a Ton at bedroom level and it sounds a lot better, like it should. I get what everyone is saying but in the same way, the tone you dial in at band level won't be near the volume of the PA system it will be going through at a gig, so it's never going to be the same. I understand all of this and am just looking for opinion on monitor suggestions at a good price that will do a pretty decent job. It doesn't have to be as awesome as the mackie, just maybe flat enough to get the job done for me so I can fine things at practice.

With the fact and acceptance that it won't sound the same between bedroom and band and gig due to levels, any studio monitor in the mentioned price range will work I think.

With the fact and acceptance that it won't sound the same between bedroom and band and gig due to levels, any studio monitor in the mentioned price range will work I think.

Well that's what I figured on as well and it's why I went with the m-audios but they leave a lot to be desired haha. It's not just as simple as an eq curve that I'm saying it's missing, it's just everything I know the axe is capable of as far as dynamics and feel and subtle things about different amps that I'd like to be able to try out before I go to band practice and crank it. If I need to adjust minor things to make it more to my liking at band volumes I'll do that, but I'm not gonna sit in front of everyone and try out every cab and amp combo and build an entire patch right there just because it "should be done at the correct volume" you know what I mean? I'm not trying to come across rude to anyone but I understand and accept the situation here, I just am looking for some opinions on good monitor choices and peoples experiences with them, whether it's a studio or PA speaker.

I can't imagine I'm the only person who works on patches at home using a different monitoring system than at their band space and that everyone sits infront of cranked monitor for hours working on tones. I obviously don't mind playing at band volume with my band and to even check how tones sound but I'm not really into doing it for extended periods of time and blowing my ear drums.

Subtle things and dynamics happen because of volume.

If 0-100 is the full range of loudness ranging from no sound to loud rock band, of course you can have more range and dynamics when you can play up to 100.

If at home you can only play from 0-14, of course you won't hear the subtle things with such a smaller range of possibilities.

Granted you don't have to play at 100 all the time to get dynamics or make tones.

But I have no problem playing quietly and having dynamics and feeling the "amp magic" at lower volumes. But of course with a bit more volume I can get more of that stuff.

In the approximate price range you've outlined, I recommend KRK Rokit 8's. It sounds like you're aware that near-field studio monitors are going to sound different than your wedge no matter what, but you are unhappy with the dynamic response of your bx5a's. While I've had a generally better experience with the KRK's than with the comparably priced M-audio speakers, I think your biggest factor is going to be the difference between 8" and 5" woofers. You really lose a lot of guitar "oomph" with the smaller speakers. Most nice ladies will tell you they prefer the 8" Rokits also ;P

Back
Top Bottom