Suggestions for *lightweight* but quality expression pedals

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
What are good *lightweight* dependable durable expression pedals?

I would like suggestions on lightweight (plastic?) expression pedals that are durable, dependable and have quality function.

Main use would be a fly rig that would be small and light. I *love* my Mission expression pedals but they are heavy as hell.

Suggestions?

I bought a Dunlop DVP3 Volume X, (small version!) the week before Fractal announced their exp pedal. It is way lighter than my Vox Wah, the lightness even surprised me. But it's still cast metal. To say it's light as the lightest I have... Not so sure. Pro dependability might not come in plastic weight. DVP3 has way larger travel and is very smooth. For Wah the travel may be too large.

My Roland EV-5 is extremely lightweight and has been with me for 25 years, albeit it resided in a drawer for most of that time. Still, if it would only serve parttime, for fly gigs... If you'd need two, three of these might still be lighter than two DVPs, and you'd have one spare. Three would also still be cheaper than two DVP3s. At least over here they are.

Just guesstimating, BTW, I haven't weighed or researched them.

I bought a Dunlop DVP3 Volume X, (small version!) the week before Fractal announced their exp pedal. It is way lighter than my Vox Wah, the lightness even surprised me. But it's still cast metal. To say it's light as the lightest I have... Not so sure. Pro dependability might not come in plastic weight. DVP3 has way larger travel and is very smooth. For Wah the travel may be too large.

My Roland EV-5 is extremely lightweight and has been with me for 25 years, albeit it resided in a drawer for most of that time. Still, if it would only serve parttime, for fly gigs... If you'd need two, three of these might still be lighter than two DVPs, and you'd have one spare. Three would also still be cheaper than two DVP3s. At least over here they are.

Just guesstimating, BTW, I haven't weighed or researched them.

This one? Amazon.com: Jim Dunlop DVP3 Guitar Volume Pedal: Musical Instruments

What is your opinion of it so far?

This is exactly why I ditched my Boss FV. I really noticed the difference in weight when I put my EV-5 back on my pedalboard. I've used that pedal for quite awhile (Boss FV in between) and its done the job for my volume, shimmer, whammy..etc. I still have my mission for wah.

I'd say m-audio ex-p as well. If you're asking for plastic, you know you can't stand on it... Another drawback is the attached cable, but 1 less thing to lose or forget! You could buy 1 spare at their pretty low price. Maybe a local music store would negotiate an even better price than online?

Looks like it. Just took mine off the board to weigh it, it is 1211 grams. That would be about 2.66 pounds.

Now the pedal is off the board, yet the velcro is still on the board...

:roll

I hope the glue will stick again... The DVP has a fubber bottom. Tape doesnt stick too well.
I love the pedal. It's very smooth, huge travel, great for volume and precision setting.

Anyway. Roland EV-5 = 400 gr, less than a pound. I took the second potmeter out because it kept wandering.

Vox Wah reissue: 1534 gr. Slightly under 3.4 pounds

Wow. You can really feel those .7 pounds. I thought it would be more.

I've been working out. :D

Ah. The dvp1 has an XL version. The 3 doesn't. yet.

Last edited:
Used to have 2 Moog EP2's (I think it's now EP3) and was very satisfied with these. Good feeling, just not too loose nor too tight, and sturdy so that you're not afraid of breaking them at first touch. Also they're a bit higher as most PVC Expression pedals, which was good in my feeling. Right what a guitarplayer needs IMHO. Very reasonable pricing.
Sold them as I bought a Behringer 1010, just not to carry around any off-pedal loose stuff any more, but really liked them better as the on-board pedals of the FCB.

Looks like it. Just took mine off the board to weigh it, it is 1211 grams. That would be about 2.66 pounds.

Now the pedal is off the board, yet the velcro is still on the board...

Ah. The dvp1 has an XL version. The 3 doesn't. yet.

heat it with a heat gun before and it'll get super sticky...

heat it with a heat gun before and it'll get super sticky...
You mean the velcro glue, I presume? Don't fancy heating the rubber underneath the DVP.

Sounds like an idea. If I can pull it off too easily tomorrow I'll try it. Thanks!

My vote would be for the Roland EV-5. Perfect for a fly rig - compact without feeling too small, and only 400g. For a plastic pedal, that thing is damn durable in my experience. I bought mine used 4 years ago and it has seen constant use since then, often copping my full weight. I've had metal parts get loose and rubber parts crumble on my mission pedal, but the EV-5 has been consistent the entire time I have owned it. I've had no problems with the 2nd potentiometer wandering.

YMMV.

another +1 for the EV5. I have one since 1990 approximately and it still works as good as the two others I got when I bought the MFC, which says a lot. I've use it with probably more than 10 guitar processors in rack or pedalboard form.

I hope this is not a hijack but I have an observation which might help inform Scott. I've had a couple of heavy Ernie Ball expression pedals for years. A friend recently gave me a Boss FV-50 H. I was looking at what to do to make my pedal board lighter and it fit the bill perfectly. I'm noticing that my tone is brighter with the Boss. I don't want to change my tone one iota.
My first thought was just adjust the presets a bit and all will be cool. But then I thought yea screw around with it and what if you just can't quite get it back. I could just save the preset as is first, I know. I don't know why I was caught off guard at the tonal change. I've been using the EB's for fifteen years. You guys that have been swapping out gear all the time are probably going "duh".

I use an EV-5 also,

but here is another suggestion not mentioned above:

AMT EX-50 - Mini Expression Pedal

amt-ex-50-mini-expression-pedal

Back
Top Bottom