Suggestions for headphone distribution systems

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Just thought I'd check the collective wisdom here.

My band would like to explore the world of in-ear (or above-ear) monitoring during rehearsals, and possibly eventually on-stage.

We don't know anything at all about these systems, and we don't want to spend a huge amount - this is our first trial, and we may not like it or adapt well enough.

Ideally, we'd like to each have our own submix. Our console allows that (i.e. multiple submix outs), so we need a central "brain" that can take it all in and then send those different submixes to our headsets or in-ears.

What are our options? What do we need to go wired, and what do we need to go wireless? Any great bang-for-the-buck solutions you can recommend? Aything we should avoid?

Thanks!

If your mixer console allows multiple aux outputs, you could get started with a multi channel headphone amp.

There are some relatively inexpensive ones that support multiple inputs (make sure you validate that - many have multiple outs but not inputs).

This, plus some long headphone extension cables and headphones will get you started on the wired route.

For wireless, you'll need a wireless IEM unit for each band member. That's probably at least $400 per person to get started.

Back
Top Bottom