Suggested preset or amp settings for Vocal/Vowely PAF tone? I do have Austin Buddy LIVE GOLD preset pack....

Lkdog

Power User
As title suggests- searching for that vintage vocal vowely PAF lower gainish at point of breakup tone. (don't want the Peter Green thing which is too out of phase, but do want a single note tone with a vocal quality).
I have a 2001 Les Paul R8 with 57 Classics, and a Heritage H535 semi hollow with PRS 5708 pickups, and a Jaros Chambered carvetop with SD Antiquities.
All PAF type humbucker pickup guitars.

I get lost in the myriad of choices in the amazing Austin Buddy preset pack to be honest.LOL.
Also get lost in the very good FAS factory preset chocies.
More mids? Less mids? More treble? Less treble? Less bass? Bright switch? a certain drive pedal? LOL.

I do get close sometimes with the Magic 6 Fender settings on the bridge pickup or middle pickup setting.
Also likely has to do with my technique to some degree which always needs work.
I use a Fender Heavy pick. Use 10s or 11s string sets.
My pickup height tends to be lower than Gibson spec. Don't ask me why. LOL.

Maybe someone has a suggestion as to where to explore with one of the classic basic Fender amps.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you want a vocal-sounding tone, start with a vocal-sounding IR.

You can make your tone more vocal by using a broad peak at 800 Hz on the Amp block's Input EQ.

You can fine-tune the vocality from subtle to cartoonish with the Formant block.

If you want a vocal-sounding tone, start with a vocal-sounding IR.

You can make your tone more vocal by using a broad peak at 800 Hz on the Amp block's Input EQ.

You can fine-tune the vocality from subtle to cartoonish with the Formant block.

Thank you! I will experiment.

1) What is considered a vocal sounding CAB/IR?
2) I have no idea what the FORMANT block is but will check it out. LOL.

I am kind of clueless as to tweaking in the AXE FX vene after all of these years as you can tell.
I find that I get closest right now out of the box with the Les Paul R8 with the 57 Classics.
It has a little more nasally tone on the bridge.

Here is the basic tone I am looking for as words may not describe it as well.
Maybe a little more gain than I like, but the vocal quality is there in spades.
Its the Duane Allman Stormy Monday thing.

http://www.jimwagnerpickups.com/fillmore_set.html

The first clip Gibson R8, JTM 80 watts with JBL n Mullands.

1) What is considered a vocal sounding CAB/IR?
That depends. What do you consider a vocal-sounding tone? Find an IR that brings you close to that, and your work is at least half done.

A lot of those vintage blues tones have a wonderful 'comb filtered' sound, maybe from using a mix of mics at different distances, close, room, back of an open back cab, etc...

Try putting a 'Filter' block in front of the Amp, set to 'FF Comb'. 'Delay Time' around 4 ms (+/- 1) and 'Depth' to 50% to start. Going though small increments on the 'Delay Time' makes big changes in the 'voicing'.

A lot of those vintage blues tones have a wonderful 'comb filtered' sound, maybe from using a mix of mics at different distances, close, room, back of an open back cab, etc...

Try putting a 'Filter' block in front of the Amp, set to 'FF Comb'. 'Delay Time' around 4 ms (+/- 1) and 'Depth' to 50% to start. Going though small increments on the 'Delay Time' makes big changes in the 'voicing'.
Thanks Moke. Been playing around with the full rez cabs a little also in the scratchpad.

OK. Both using the broad peak at 800hz on Amp input EQ or using the FF Comb filter had a desired effect.
Actually any EQ boost in that 800hz range on AMP input or output or a cleaner drive like a FET boost has some of that effect.

Very interesting.

Reactions: Rex
Not the vocal you’re talking about, but look up a preset called Poltergeist Pig for a Formant block sample. Have fun :)

Back
Top Bottom