suggested best SS Power Amp

dschaaf

Experienced
I am presently using my Mesa 2:90 with the II but am interested in looking at a SS power amp. I see quite a few have listed using the Matrix GT800FX...which seems a little harder to source.

Just looking for suggestions for what others would make the top list :)

Thanks,
D.

I use an old Marshall 8008..
they're 1U in the rack, heavy but a lot lighter than a valve power amp..
they sound great and they're real loud..
had mine for years.. it's been a real trooper..

I could only see them available online from the UK. Is there a US/Canada distributor? I am in Canada.... :)

Thanks,
d.

I did a lot of research on this topic and went with the Rocktron Velocity 300. I couldn't be happier. I'm running FRFR now, but the 300 remains in my rack just in case I need it. The only caveat is that the 300 is heavy!.

Service with matrix is freaking awesome!! They tell you everythin thats happening with your order and answer almost instantly any questions you have. I am having a blast with them, just yesterday they sent me my gt1000fx. They have updated me all the way before it was shipped.

Sorry - Matrix again .... I literally just got the Matrix GT1000FX an hour ago ... can't make comment on sound just yet as I'm in work .... but it's really compact, very light and the fans are whisper quiet (no load into the amp yet of course).

Ive heard nothing but good things about the Matrix series but I have a few friends that use the Carvin stuff.

You can order direct from Matrix, I live in the midwest and it took about 3 days shipping UPS from the UK. That's fast. Why go through a middleman when you don't have to.
Fantastic customer service. A++ all the way.

I like the rocktron sound and tweakability. I didnt like the poundage it adds to a rack. I also tried a crate power block, which sounds good with some stuff, but not so much with the axe2. This might sound silly, but my favorite is the EHX Magnum44. Size of a pedal, 44 loud watts, fits anywhere you can cram a pedal(and a small "stick of butter" power brick).

My old Carvin DCM600 has stood the test of time. I don't know if it sounds best to all tastes, but its loud, seemingly flat and has been very reliable thru the years. Would buy Carvin again if it died unless other options weren't 2-3X the $$.

I'm in (western) Canada.. my Matrix GT1000FX left the UK 2 days ago, UPS says it arrived in town this morning but still waiting for customs clearance. Funny though.. UPS tracking shows it arrived in the US (?) yesterday, at Philladelphia, then went through Louisville, Minneapolis and Sioux Falls yesterday before arriving in Canada today. Doesn't seem the most efficient route, but hey - 2 days is 2 days! Fast!

Back
Top Bottom