Suddenly have lots of Input hum?

Paperjace

Experienced
I booted up my Axe FX today and noticed that there is a LOT more hum than usual on the front input signal. The input light meter on the front panel shows the bottom green light constantly lit whenever I have a guitar cable plugged in. (see below pic) The patches I have are using the built-in noise gate and I had to turn the Threshold up WAY more than normal. I used to be able to have it set to about somewhere between -60 to -50db, but now I'm having to set it to around -30 to -20db. My Input Gain on the I/O settings hasn't changed for the past year or so, but now I have to turn it way down pretty far just to make the hum go away. I've tried 3 different guitar cables and two different guitars (active and passive) and I still have the same hum issue. I get the impression that something is messed up on the Axe Fx? I updated to 8.02 Quantum today first thing today so I didn't get a chance to see if it the signal was fine on my previous firmware (7.00q). I've been using the same outlet and surge protector since the day I bought the Axe FX.

Do I need to open a support ticket or is there something I'm missing?

ojFnQ1u.jpg

Does the noise get reduced or disappear with guitar volume knob at 0?

What's Input 1 Mode set to?

Is there less noise using rear Input 1L?

Does the noise get reduced or disappear with guitar volume knob at 0?
No. Doesn't matter if the guitar volume knob is at 0 or if a guitar is even plugged in. The pic I took doesn't have a guitar plugged in. And the end of the instrument is not touching anything to make it hum.

What's Input 1 Mode set to?
Left Only.. Front input.

Is there less noise using rear Input 1L?
Yes. Seems to work perfectly on the Rear Input 1L jack. The front one is acting strange, though

I've tried downgrading back to 7.00q, but it's still having the same issue. Not firmware related.

Turns out I need to buy a new input board. Not sure what I did to make it screw up. I hope this isn't a frequent issue....

In several years on the forums, I've seen very few posts (count on less than one full hand) with this issue, so I don't think you need to worry much.

Just be careful not to spill the secret sauce. ;)

Installed the new input board and everything works perfectly now. Very easy to install; no soldering. I didn't see anything in particular on the old board that may have caused it. Anyway, case closed.

Finally got to play with v8.02 after coming from v7.xx. Wow holy shit! Everything sounds so thick and nasty. I love it!

Had that problem too several month ago. I killed my input board at an open air festival. There was a problem with grounding and potential difference. Look at the input board, there are several SMD parts, one is blown for sure. Easy fix change the whole input board or the broken resistor or capacitor.

Back
Top Bottom