Suddenly can't figure out FXL block

vangrieg

Fractal Fanatic
I swear it worked for me before, and now it doesn't. I'm puzzled.

I use my AFX for guitar and some vocal processing. My mic is connected to an external preamp, and then the signal goes to Input 2. Input 2 is set to "Left Only". So far so good. But I also connect my Axe FX to an amp and a cab on stage. Since this isn't an FRFR cabinet, I need to have no cabinet simulation there. So I'm using Output 2 Left for guitar, and Output 2 Right for vocal. Output 2 is set to "Stereo". Since the whole vocal chain is in Row 4, that row's Balance is panned hard right in the FXL block, and all other rows are hard panned left. And, like I said, it used to work fine.

But now I get guitar signal in Output 2 Right, no matter what Balance settings I have in FXL.

And, to add insult to injury, I also cannot upload the preset here, keep getting this stupid "An error occurred" message which isn't very helpful. So trying to attach a screenshot here to explain the basic routing and the FXL settings. Any help would be appreciated!

15jSRT8.jpg

Last edited:
Does FXL Pan 2 audibly do anything if you adjust it while holding a note?

See what happens if you delete FXL, add it again, and make those settings without using the global block feature.

Does FXL Pan 2 audibly do anything if you adjust it while holding a note?

It changes balance, but in a weird way. If I pan it hard left, there's signal in both Output 2 L and R, but R is lower, about half of L. If I center it, the signal is in both L and R, but so strong that Output 2 clips. If I pan it hard right, it disappears from Output 2 L, and goes to Output 2 R, but at a higher level than Output 2 L when panned left. Hope that's not too confusing a description.

See what happens if you delete FXL, add it again, and make those settings without using the global block feature.

Tried that, and reset the block. Same thing. BTW, the preset I exported has global blocks unlinked. I tried it, too, before sharing it here.

Are you plugging into the exact rig of PA and guitar cab now?

Well, if you're asking about right now, Output 2 isn't connected to anything, I'm just monitoring the VU meters. Generally, the rig is the same except the power amp is a Matrix instead of a tube amp.

Last edited:
Was anything plugged into Input 2 L when you tested this? Without doing that, the FXL acts like a mixer block and you get a feedback loop in row 4. The pitch block is likely summing to mono which explains why you see the R channel activity.

Was anything plugged into Input 2 L when you tested this?

Hmm, no.

Without doing that, the FXL acts like a mixer block and you get a feedback loop in row 4. The pitch block is likely summing to mono which explains why you see the R channel activity.

My head hurts.

So you're saying that when nothing is connected to Input 2, the FXL takes the signal from other rows in the grid, ignores the row balance settings, and sends it to whatever block is next?

Is there a way to avoid this, hmm, feature? I don't ALWAYS connect my mic to Input 2, and don't want any loose cables hanging there.

Thanks for your help!

Oh, and I just noticed that when I turn the FXL block's Balance hard right, signal disappears from Output 2 R (????), and only stays in Output 2 L, like it should have done without any Balance adjustment. Don't know what would happen to the mic signal though, and cannot test it right now. Is there a system to this madness? Or am I being mad, missing something obvious here?

So you're saying that when nothing is connected to Input 2, the FXL takes the signal from other rows in the grid, ignores the row balance settings, and sends it to whatever block is next?

Is there a way to avoid this, hmm, feature? I don't ALWAYS connect my mic to Input 2, and don't want any loose cables hanging there.

It doesn't ignore the row balance settings, but your left-balanced guitar signal is getting to the pitch block, which can output wet signal in both channels.

There's currently no way to avoid the auto-switching aspect. You may want to consider using a small adapter e.g. 3.5mm to 1/4" as a dummy plug when not connecting the mic.

It doesn't ignore the row balance settings, but your left-balanced guitar signal is getting to the pitch block, which can output wet signal in both channels.

Ah, I see now, thanks.

There's currently no way to avoid the auto-switching aspect. You may want to consider using a small adapter e.g. 3.5mm to 1/4" as a dummy plug when not connecting the mic.

Feels kind of weird to have to do it, but that's a cheap enough and effective solution, I guess. Thanks again!

Feels kind of weird to have to do it, but that's a cheap enough and effective solution, I guess. Thanks again!
it's auto-sensing. i think the idea is that if you want a certain function from the FX Loop, you'd plug something in at that time. so for designing the preset away from the actual gear, you'll need to plug something in at that time :)

i think the idea is that if you want a certain function from the FX Loop, you'd plug something in at that time. so for designing the preset away from the actual gear, you'll need to plug something in at that time

Yeah, I get this idea, I think. Why would I ever want the FXL block to act as a mixer though?

Yeah, I get this idea, I think. Why would I ever want the FXL block to act as a mixer though?

The auto-sensing may have been designed with traditional series FX loop use in mind, similar to how many amps work. If you removed whatever was in the loop, it would be preferable to have signal pass through the block instead of a silent preset.

for discussion, the AX8 does not have auto-sensing. so a preset with FX Loop block in series and nothing plugged in at In/Out 2 is silent. so this requires a Bypass of the block, or removal (replace with shunt). either way could be preferred depending on the situation.

for discussion, the AX8 does not have auto-sensing. so a preset with FX Loop block in series and nothing plugged in at In/Out 2 is silent. so this requires a Bypass of the block, or removal (replace with shunt). either way could be preferred depending on the situation.

Well, that obviously sounds like a more reasonable approach from my perspective. :)

I guess this block just needs a third bypass mode.

Back
Top Bottom