Sudden loss of sound with lock-up

carloszeke

Experienced
I have a series of 7 presets all based on basically the same architecture, changing only the cabs and amps. After installing FW15.02, and the latest AxeEdit, Bot, and Mac driver, I started to go through all of my presets one by one (with total amazement of the FAS magic). When I got to this particular series, I would play for between 10-30 seconds and suddenly the sound goes dead and the Axe is locked up, requiring a reboot. The problem seems to be limited to only the above mentioned presets. I deleted one of the two drives, and the compressor and the preset played for 15 minutes with no interruption. I do have other presets using two drives, but they don't exhibit this problem. The only write-up in the forum I could find relating to twin drives doesn't match my symptoms. I'd appreciate any one of you to test this and let me know what you think. (Yek, that includes you)

View attachment 22208

Have you tried writing down every non-default parameter and re-dial the patch? Maybe some initialization error.

That's a good idea. The only other thing I didn't mention was that I copied and pasted all 7 of them into blank locations in Bank A. No change! I am intrigued by that fact that removing 1 drive block and the compressor seemed to solve the problem. (I will do this again to verify) Of course, after doing that, it becomes a different preset, so that's not really a fix. I'm tempted to go back to FW15.00. It would be helpful to know if this is occurring on other machines.

(AxeEdit was NOT connected during any of this)

Tried the preset - used some of the new stock factory UR cabs (can't remember which now) switched mics to 'none' and played around 20 mins and had no issues.

What cabs have you loaded in your user slots (U072 and U001 I think they were?) - could one or both of those been problematic?

Tried the preset - used some of the new stock factory UR cabs (can't remember which now) switched mics to 'none' and played around 20 mins and had no issues.

What cabs have you loaded in your user slots (U072 and U001 I think they were?) - could one or both of those been problematic?

Max, thanks for your interest in helping me. Luckily, both user cabs came from AxeChange, so I can provide them to you now.

They are; Cab L:(179)EJ1250 Room Wood Floor R-101 w/ 58 Dyn mic
Cab R: (344)Edge No 1 and 2 AC30 mix w/ R121 mic
I have used both cabs extensibly on several presets.

Let me know what happens!

Loaded those cabs - preset seems fine - all I did was lower the levels in the 2 drives as I was getting some clipping ... I left the cab levels as they were.

I switched X/Y on the cab etc several times via Axe-Edit while testing .... still no problems.

Even though you say Axe-Edit was not connected, did you still have the USB connected from Axe to your Mac? If so, maybe try disconnecting the USB completely - it would then rule out any driver issue.

I'm having the same issue with some of my presets that contain tone matches (though I'm not sure that's the aspect causing the issue). CPU usage on these presets is not hight but after about 20-30 seconds - lockups. The lockup does NOT occur when usb is not plugged in to my Mac running Mavericks and OSX driver 167. This issue started to occur after I installed 15.2. The symptoms seem to point to a driver issue - hopefully it can be resolved. This is the 3rd thread I've seen with similar experience.

Ok… sprint and maxdown, I went back to the previous driver (the only other one that I had) It seems to be dated around March 2013. In addition, I shifted the compressor and the first Driver block one block to the left.
All 7 presets work fine now! (even with AxeEdit running) Damn!! I hate it when I can't put my finger on the fix. Without a smoking gun, I still anticipate that dreaded lockup! I don't want to reverse those changes to see if the problem returns, I'm just too busy right now helping friends put together an Italian restaurant. FAS made a statement on another thread that the driver is supplied by Apple and that it only facilitates loading via USB. If no USB activities are taking place than it is out of the picture (makes sense to me) Correct me if I'm wrong.
I want to thank you guys for your time and consideration. I am a happy Rocker now!

Last edited:
Mine was still locking up on Windows 8, so instead of going back a driver I tried going to the beta driver. Same thing - after 5 or 10 minutes it locks up (on the preset I posted in another thread).

I'm still not convinced that the driver(s) has anything to do with these problems. FAS has said it can't. Take Zwiebelchen's advice and try to rewrite the preset, maybe in a different location. As maxdown said, there "might be something problematic", something about that particular cab used in that particular preset.

Last edited:
I doubt it is the Mac/PC driver either, but it could have something to do with how the Axe is communicating with it (did something change with that in firmware 15?). However, let's say that has nothing to do with it, then the problem is in the preset. I have had trouble in 2 (but mainly because those are the two I've been using since I started having this problem). The one I was using for several months, but this started happening when I upgraded to 15.0. 15.02 came out shortly after, so I upgraded to that. overwrote all the presets with the new factory presets, then loaded my presets that I had previously saved. The problem was still there, so I took that preset and copied the amp and cab from a factory preset (Triptik Classic) to it (overwriting the amp and cab that was there). The problem is in that preset, as well.

So, does that mean the problem is with one of the other blocks in the preset or possibly the Y of the amp / cab? I guess the next thing to try is copy the preset and remove everything but amp and cab. If it doesn't do it, copy other blocks one by one until the problem is found. It's hard to be sure, though, because sometimes it does it in a matter of seconds after turning the Axe on and sometimes it is 10 or more minutes.

this started happening when I upgraded to 15.0. 15.02 came out shortly after. sometimes it does it in a matter of seconds after turning the Axe on and sometimes it is 10 or more minutes.

Same with my situation, It started with FW15.0, and the elapsed time before failure was random. As I said before, I have a very uncomfortable feeling about the fact that I don't have a smoking gun. After 30 years working in the electronics industry, it has always been unacceptable when something nonfunctional just suddenly starts working again. Thank God I'm not gigging right now, because I use "CutUp-7" for 2 songs.

Have you had it happen when not connected to USB? It was happening last night so I unplugged the USB and played for quite a while without it happening. Then, I tried plugging in the USB and I played for another 20 minutes without it happening. I thought there may be some difference in connecting the USB after the Axe and PC were both already running (I usually just leave it connected so usually the Axe communicates immediately when turned on). Again, this may just be coincidence, but I'm going to try connecting like that again the next time I play to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom