Such a Great story...

After the holidays, I'm going to adopt a cat, and maybe a dog as well. But I'm going for an older one, and one that's been overlooked. The shelter in our town wouldn't have been able to keep a dog that long, which is a shame, but we have a large blue-hair population around here, so they have a constant stream of pets coming in that their owners can't take with them when they go into retirement homes. They have to run lots of promotions, wherein they waive all the adoption fees.

After the holidays, I'm going to adopt a cat, and maybe a dog as well. But I'm going for an older one, and one that's been overlooked. The shelter in our town wouldn't have been able to keep a dog that long, which is a shame, but we have a large blue-hair population around here, so they have a constant stream of pets coming in that their owners can't take with them when they go into retirement homes. They have to run lots of promotions, wherein they waive all the adoption fees.
When I was reading your post I was like blue-hair?? Never heard of that breed before....then I continued reading. 😂

You're a good man. :)

I'd definitely go older. We have taken in 2 cats and 3 dogs in the past 17 years. All of them are gone now. They
were rescued, and a couple were from older people that had to go into an assisted living facility. I was so smitten
with those older, chilled out dogs that I forgot what a young pet was like. So we fostered an abandoned pup who
damn near killed me as the only adult in the house. It was worse than having another child, to be honest. No rest.
Had planned on adopting her after the fostering period was up, but no f'ing way after living with her for 6 months.
She's on a friend's farm now with other animals and happy as heck. :)

Nothing better than a happy ending doggo story.
I love the ones where they rescue an abused/neglected dog, and you see the poor guy/gal gradually resume being a happy pet! Doesn't get much more heartwarming than those stories, or more anger-provoking that people actually treat helpless animals like that, especially dogs, who just wanna love their humans unconditionally!

You're a good man. :)

I'd definitely go older. We have taken in 2 cats and 3 dogs in the past 17 years. All of them are gone now. They
were rescued, and a couple were from older people that had to go into an assisted living facility. I was so smitten
with those older, chilled out dogs that I forgot what a young pet was like. So we fostered an abandoned pup who
damn near killed me as the only adult in the house. It was worse than having another child, to be honest. No rest.
Had planned on adopting her after the fostering period was up, but no f'ing way after living with her for 6 months.
She's on a friend's farm now with other animals and happy as heck. :)
You too!!
Yeah, I can't do the young/high-energy pet thing any more either. Partly because of what they require, but also because of how much an absolute mess I was when my last cat of 17 years, that I got as a kitten, died of kindey failure. God that was difficult!

You too!!
Yeah, I can't do the young/high-energy pet thing any more either. Partly because of what they require, but also because of how much an absolute mess I was when my last cat of 17 years, that I got as a kitten, died of kindey failure. God that was difficult!
There like our Children always a sad day in Mudville. When we lose one of are children never gets any easier. Got to love the little dummies.

The first one I took to a gig the day I found her, and was sure I could pass her off onto some cute lady. No chance! :)
You get attached to them quickly, especially the ones that have unique personalities. My guy (TC, short for Trash Cat, named by my step-daughter because he, well, got into the trash) somehow learned to head-butt me. Probably had something to do with my positive-reinforcement of his raising up on his heels when I'd give him his treat (the ones where you'd shake the bag, and no matter where they were sleeping in the house, they'd come running... :tearsofjoy:) All I had to do was lean down, and he'd rear up and bang me on my forehead. (Then look at me as if to say, "Ok, I did the trick. Now where's my treat?")

Tonight on the forums, I was left jonesing for a juicy cheeseburger, and a new pet.

We have known our dog since he was 2 days old, my sister in law was fostering a mom who had just had 9 pups and when my wife saw ours it was done she had to have him. I had no idea how hard it was gonna be up multiple times at night to take him out, and there were a few times when I really wanted to just send him back because it was hard dealing with it but almost 3 years in now and he’s awesome. Still acts like a jerk sometimes lol but we love him, and honesty I’d go full John Wick if anyone ever hurt him.
6-BFBE20-F-5-E72-451-D-9-E5-B-314-B1-A1-B5520.jpg

We have three rescue cats. I love them all so much, get all mushy thinking about it. They're all so completely different, but so great, each in their own ways.

Was on my way to play a little guitar before bed, but got kidnapped by Oliver, had to sit on the couch so he could sit on my legs. Have a pic, but it keeps not attaching, oh well. Worked from my laptop, here he is!

Attachments

• oliver.jpg
    oliver.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom