Success getting harmonic feedback at low to moderate volumes?

LeonC

Inspired
I'm curious re: those that say they have no issues getting harmonic feedback at low to moderate volume using an FRFR speaker. I'm new to this and I'm using an Atomic CLR (neo). I'm curious as to specific AX8 models (amps, cabs, pedals, whatever) you've found that lend themselves to harmonic feedback through an FRFR type cab.

I'm currently having success (using a Les Paul std)--though it takes a while for the feedback to "arrive" using a 100W Plexi model, with the two drives dimed (mids and treble pushed up a ways) and the master vol dialed back a bit, with a Rucks pedal in front (6.2 on drive 7 on tone) and 4x12 Cali cab sim.

Last edited:
You should be able to get sustain feedback at any volume with enough gain. It's a function of gain and volume - less volume means you need more gain. You can also boost the range you want your feedback to occur in using mid boost EQ.

Last edited:
I appreciate your interest and input.

I am hoping to find some more specifics, however, based on experimentation.

Okay I've done a bit more experimenting for the last couple hours. I've tried about 25 different amp models, many of which are known for "high gain" kinds of sounds...but a handful which aren't per se (e.g., champ, Class-A 30W). I've been trying two cabs -- the Cali 4x12 (F065) and the 1x12 Division 13 Mix (F084). Again, I'm using a Les Paul std and an Atomic CLR neo.

Interestingly. I've had the best luck so far with the combination of the Class-A 30W Hot with the 1x12 Division 13 Mix cab.

Of course there almost countless permutations. But it would be interesting to hear of specific results from anyone else who's experimented with this.

You should be able to get sustain feedback at any volume with enough gain. It's a function of gain and volume - less volume means you need more gain. You can also boost the range you want your feedback to occur in using mid boost EQ.
And proximity of pickups to speakers...

We only have one wedge on stage, but I'm having no problem getting quality feedback. Using BEv2 and FET boost. I've just gotten a CLR Neo and find that I'm having to tweak a bit to avoid ugly microphonic sounding feedback. Anybody got specific tricks there?

I use a FreqOut pedal. What is cool about it is when I step on it and generate the artificial feedback effect, it can easily transition into a real feedback, even at pretty low volume levels on my CLR and with proximity, I can keep that feedback sustaining infinity with the pedal held down.

The pedal is an integral part of my rig and has made feedback effects much more controllable, sustainable, and musical

Totally worth trying one and they can be had pretty cheap these days

That sounds really cool. Wonder if FAS could create this? I'm committed to AX8-only rig (case only fits AX8 and CC pedal), so I don't want to start adding pedals.

Agree, yeah, I'm not going to add a pedal. Getting away from that was a big part of the reason I came to FAS.

As I mentioned above, I've had the best luck so far with the combination of the Class-A 30W Hot with the 1x12 Division 13 Mix cab. May want to give that a try Macfly and see how it works for you. With the bridge pickup on my LP, I can get this to spill into great harmonic feedback at volumes that I can talk over (loudly, heheh, but not yelling) ;)

You can give this preset a try a try, it will need some tweaking but basically it's an old preset that has been floating around here for a few years that simion built for the Axe FX II and Mark Day did a demo with,

I converted it to work on the AX8. The comp and pitch blocks are the meat and potatoes of the deal so you should be able to copy the blocks and fit it into to your preset, assuming you have an expression pedal.

Attachments

• Feedback Simulator v13.syx
    12.7 KB · Views: 34
You can give this preset a try a try, it will need some tweaking but basically it's an old preset that has been floating around here for a few years that simion built for the Axe FX II and Mark Day did a demo with,

I converted it to work on the AX8. The comp and pitch blocks are the meat and potatoes of the deal so you should be able to copy the blocks and fit it into to your preset, assuming you have an expression pedal.

This looks great. I can't go to in-ears until I find a way to get feedback.

traditional feedback is physics. volume needs to get back to the source (guitar pickups). it needs to get fed back.

traditional feedback is physics. volume needs to get back to the source (guitar pickups). it needs to get fed back.

Exactly. The lazy man's approach (me, that is): is to use a hollow body or sem-hollow body guitar and take a step toward or away from the speaker to enable or curtail it. The strings are vibrating at the body resonance, and the pickups are picking it up. One can further adjust this feedback/resonance somewhat by resting the picking hand forearm on the lower bout to deaden the resonance. Works with any amp or amp model, really: it's a matter of getting the guitar itself to resonate in the sound field of the speaker, using a guitar that resonates at frequencies you enjoy, and setting the amp to distort or sustain these frequencies to taste. Skill at muting unplayed strings is de rigueur, but If the stage level is more or less constant, it's reasonably controllable.

I bought a guitar with a Sustainer circuit. Problem solved at all volume levels. :)
A fine choice with a solid body guitar or for really predictable results.

Here's the preset I mentioned in post #9 above. I have a handful of "generic" presets that I use for a wide variety of songs, amplified by my Atomic CLR Neo--this is one of them. There are a few things in here that may not appeal to many people and may or may not work for you...but who knows? The scene that I use for feedback is Scene 3. I have an expression pedal hooked up to Extrn 1 for this too.

Using my Les Paul (w/PAF style low-output pickups), I can get all kinds of feedback at quite reasonable volume levels. I can get the feedback to shift between various intervals (octave, 5th, 7th, 3rd) by changing the guitar's orientation relative to the speaker. E.g., we play the STP tune, Vasoline, in one of my bands. It starts out with some crazy feedback. I use this preset to cover that intro, easing into it with a "volume pedal" (expression pedal set up to control volume on extrn 1).

As I mentioned above, the amp model is the Class-A 30W Hot cranked into the 1x12 Division 13 mix cab. I also have two OD pedals in front, in parallel -- the Timothy and the Ruckus.

BasicRockScene3.png

So I think the real active ingredients are the cranked AC30, the Div 13 mix cab, and the two OD pedals in parallel in front. Also, having the volume pedal behind the amp gives you control over easing the feedback, if desired. (I often like the vol pedal in front of the amp, however, so I have one there which is used in other scenes in this preset...like I said...this may not appeal to everyone.)

Attachments

• Basic Rock.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom