Styx guitar sound from Pieces of Eight album

Excellent rendition of the song! Well played and vocals are spot on.

As for guitar sound, they sound like the mids are a little high, and a little too compressed/too much gain.

Yeah, it was hard sound to get, I couldn't get a crunchy enough sound for the rhythm and I used the Hiwatt which is a very bright amp and from reading about Tommy Shaw and James Young set up they used theis device that boost the mids but I couldn't figure out what frequency they're boosting. When I lowered the gain I was loosing the crunch and sustan so I added a compressor block. Good ears Rich G!!!!. I love Styx Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight album, amazing song writing, Production and they had 3 lead singers! After that their albums started having less good songs, just maybe 3 good ones

Heck eljodon, now ya got me wanting to revist playing this tune again!

Tommy's tone is thinner, but your's is "Grand". I'll be warming up this song, hope to try the patch when you have time to share it....and its Very appreciated.

I love their playing in Grand Illusiom and Pieces of Eight , i grew up in Puerto Rico so I knew of Bands like Styx, Boston. Ted Nugent, Kiss, Black Sabbath, etc. When I moved to US I wasn't aware of the guitar players that influenced tten, so I freaked out when I started to listen to Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton. Frank Marino, Uli Roth I'll post it but is a noisy patch, but I use a G string Decimator to help with the noise. Maybe you can make it better and shoot it right back to me!

Nice job!! Great album and era......if you get the chance to see Styx in their latest line up, (still awesome due to JY and Tommy) do so!!!

Back
Top Bottom