Stupid question probably, but is there anyway to simulate a Talkbox that doesn't sound like crap?

@Moke created one of the most convincing presets. Check his site.

Or use an external pedal, from Boss or TC Helicon. The last one is a steal, also providing synth sounds and vocal enhancements.

You need to use the formant block, and somehow attach it to a modifier. You can control it with an expression pedal. However, I find it really hard to control my expression pedal with enough finesse to make this sound natural. In my Living on a prayer preset, I use the Sequencer to control the formant block.

The Formant as a basis works fine, but it needs some fine tuning to create that characteristic voice-through-a-small-speaker sound.

Last edited:
@Moke created one of the most convincing presets. Check his site.

Or use an external pedal, from Boss or TC Helicon. The last one is a steal, also providing synth sounds and vocal enhancements.
To my ear the Boss Vocoder, The TC Helicon and EHX Talkbox pedals all do a pretty bad job of nailing the overall tone of a talkbox. There's something quite magical about that tone, that fizzy nasally growl, it's instantly recognisable to me. Sadly, I'm not feeling it with the demos I've seen on those pedals. I bet FA could successfully tackle a good talkbox simulation (if anybody could) if they had the time and inclination. I've been hoping for one to come along for years, I'd be happy to pay for it too, but everything I've seen and heard has been a let down.

Wonder if you could shoot an IR of an actual talk box and then combine that with the formant block and get a decent result.

There was someone on here a while ago that had an Alice In Chains Man In The Box preset for the Axe-Fx II that sounded convincing. I think it used the Vocoder. If I can find it, I'll share the link.

Is the man in the box a delivered preset? I have one on my axe 2, dont recall downloading it but maybe I did. Its close... I think having footpedal control would get you mostly there

Is the man in the box a delivered preset? I have one on my axe 2, dont recall downloading it but maybe I did. Its close... I think having footpedal control would get you mostly there
It’s a factory preset in the Axe II.

There's a talkbox simulator in the TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 that is pretty darn good. It works like a vocoder, in that there's no nasty tube, and you have to actually sing/talk into the mic and then it does magic with that signal and the guitar signal and sends the results to the PA... but it sounds like an old school talkbox. That's what I've been using for Livin' on a Prayer, but I just got an AX8 so I'm interested in checking out Moke's preset when I get home.

Kind of a different question. Can you set the wah on the axe3 to do different vowel sounds to give a talk box like approximation? That would be close enough for my purposes.

I've got Moke's Livin' preset and it does a pretty good job. From that I recall, it does a better job than the Man in the Box preset that shipped with the original Axe-Fx. Not perfect, but it is fun.

As an aside, a friend of mine had a Line 6 Vetta and somehow he was able to nail the talkbox effect for the solo from Rocky Mountain Way.

Back
Top Bottom