Stupid noob questions

Aeser

Inspired
just got my unit and pouring through the manual but for some reason can't find answers for this:

1: right now i have the output 1 on the back, the humbusters, going to my studio monitors, and the axe fx connected to my computer via usb and using headphones connected to the axe fx front. It appears the output 1 knob on the front controls both the headphones and the monitor speakers. Is there a way to control the headphones and monitor speakers independent of one another as it has 4 output knobs and i would like to be able to turn the volume on the monitors down when using headphones and vice versa?

2: I noticed with this setup the headphones seem loud and like they have a lot of headroom while the monitor speakers appear very quiet AND the signal appears too hot and clipping, any idea why that would be and how i might fix it?

3: mainly using this for recording with my DAW and have a nice audio interface I'm fond of which also has built in processors which offset the CPU load by processing some plugins onboard the audio interface so i'd rather not forsake it for using the axe fx as an audio interface. If i just go sdpif from the axe fx to as tosling converter to optical in on the universal audio apollo twin, I can just leave the monitors hooked up to my UA apollo interface and monitor everything from that and record and monitor everything in my studio like normal and just select the optical input on the apollo as the input on my DAW to record the axe-fx, right? Is there any downside to doing it like this? does it introduce any nasty latency? I figure it should sound as good as possible as there is no A/D conversion going on, just stays digital from the axe Fx to my computer/DAW?

Thanks!

Also:

4: I noticed straight out of the box when dialing up the first few factory presets, in axe edit it's showing the CPU as like 56-60%? that seems really high as this thing is supposed to have such a burly processor and i'm only using ONE amp without hardly anything on it, why would it take so much CPU?

For Point 1 above - run your monitors out of Output 2 - control headphone level with output 1 and that will give you the separation you’re looking for.

the 4 output knobs are for the 4 separate outputs, if you want independent control, you'll have to use independent outputs

for your second post, there isn't a whole lot of difference between running one amp or two, so its really not as high of a CPU load as you might think. You're probably using high quality modes on reverbs and several cabs in the cab block. Takes a pretty intense rig to max it out, I wouldn't worry

the 4 output knobs are for the 4 separate outputs, if you want independent control, you'll have to use independent outputs

for your second post, there isn't a whole lot of difference between running one amp or two, so its really not as high of a CPU load as you might think. You're probably using high quality modes on reverbs and several cabs in the cab block. Takes a pretty intense rig to max it out, I wouldn't worry

Ok cool so that’s a normal CPU load for that and I shouldn’t be concerned?

Awesome, thanks!

ok problem is output 2 is that microphone type connector only and i just have 1/4" cables for that hence going from the "humbuster" 1/4" outs on the back for output 1. I tried connecting them to output 3 but that volume knob does not appear to make any sound come out of the monitors.

there isn't a whole lot of difference between running one amp or two
yes - afaik, amps run on 1 of the 2 processors in Axefx3. The cpu indicators are only showing the cpu status of the 2nd cpu (the one the amps don't run on and where a lot of the fx processing runs).

ok problem is output 2 is that microphone type connector only and i just have 1/4" cables for that hence going from the "humbuster" 1/4" outs on the back for output 1. I tried connecting them to output 3 but that volume knob does not appear to make any sound come out of the monitors.

err i did the copy from output 1 for output 3 and now there's sound coming out from output 3 with that volume knob turned up but it's just dry signal with no amp modelling going on, whereas it is modelled on the headphones? i don't get this.

Have you looked at any set-up videos on YouTube by Chris at AxeFX tutorials, or Leon Todd? There is a ton of YouTube help available if you just try to search for it (minimally).

The gold standard just might be Cooper Carter’s instructional video series. Best hundred dollars you’ll spend for the AxeFx; ever.

RE: point number 2
- have you seen the sticky note on Output volumes?

I suggest you digest the manual bite by bite utilizing the sections that you need. Start with a super simple blank patches and build an amplifier (plus cabinet) blocks just as you would build a rig in the real world.

Just treat things like you know them in the real world and you will be amazed how far you got. But reading the manual is crucial for a product like this.

Doing it in a digestible actionable manner is another thing. Suggest you start simple; crawl, walk, run.

Last edited:
yes i did try to read the manual like i said in the original post but did not find the answers i was looking for (as mentioned it is a lot to digest). I'm a ways from making my own preset i'm just trying to figure out the very basics of setting this thing up to even hear it correctly and route it for recording and such.

yes i did try to read the manual like i said in the original post but did not find the answers i was looking for (as mentioned it is a lot to digest). I'm a ways from making my own preset i'm just trying to figure out the very basics of setting this thing up to even hear it correctly and route it for recording and such.

I understand; yes the manual is naturally deep and can appear overwhelming. That’s why I lead with the other suggestions.

Try Cooper Carter ... you will advance quickly and with clear examples all on video.

Cooper is one of the recognized experts (and artist) for FAS. It’s as good as it gets. @Cooper Carter

I looked at cooper Carter’s videos, he has a lot and they appear to be informative but I still didn’t find anything on the questions I asked above. Maybe I’m just retarded and not catching the answers but it looks like my option is to just research h till I figure out how to use this thing correctly/optimally.

I do not have an axe fx III yet so just guessing but you may have to put a output 3 block in your effects chain to get the sound you desire out of output 3. If I was you I would buy A couple of xlr cables. If you are doing much recording you will need them for mics anyways.

Have you added the appropriate output block in the preset? If you want to use output 3, you need an output 3 block.

<question asked while typing...>

Further, the output 1 knob will control output 1 and headphone out, that's just how the unit works.

You should be able to select in the Output section to copy output 1 for output three, that should be an option. In regards to the Axe into recording, if you want the simplest option output 1 into two channels of your interface via XLR (mic) cables. Then you’ll have sound and can record, and give yourself some time to learn the ins and outs of the Axe.

Also if you are running a UA interface you shouldn’t have much of a latency issue with the Axe, especially if it is thunderbolt, so that is a viable option as well. Either XLR or SPDIF would work for that.

err i did the copy from output 1 for output 3 and now there's sound coming out from output 3 with that volume knob turned up but it's just dry signal with no amp modelling going on, whereas it is modelled on the headphones? i don't get this.

If you dont connect the amp signal chain to the output, you wont hear the amp signal chain. Just like real rigs, you have to have it all connected to the proper output.

Back
Top Bottom