Stupid idea that may work out!

Andy Eagle

Fractal Fanatic
A good customer kept bringing me J Customs to set up and as an owner of an RG 3120 and a S540 I am a fan.
In my head I always liked the RDG body but not the 26.5" scale so I didn't buy one, but all these beautifully made RGs made me want one .
Next problem was I hate thick poly paint and all but the very expensive $5k+one offs have it. Eventually I think fuck it I will make one. As a repair tech mostly I don't do scratch builds very often instead relying on a few trusted CNC shops to do the CNC work to my speck and send me the raw off the machine pieces.
So the spec was RGD body but 25.5" scale Gotoh1996 and pick up a Ibanez neck to save time. Baring in mind I have 25 guitars at the moment so don't need it at all and no time.
Ibanez in their wisdom changed the heel width in around 2003 from 56mm to 58mm so this may be a problem in finding the neck after I make the body which was the plan (going a bit off already).
Then Ibanez who used to sell me necks no issue have changed the policy to only direct replacement at authorised centres and return of the original so no necks available.
By now I had got a body cut in two piece swamp ash HH and 1996 fit. I did a 56mm heel (you can always take away easier than add). So finish sanded the body and prepped it in nitro sanding sealer for a vintage style nitro thin finish grain filled on the top only ( leaving the back and sides open pore .
Paint?
The wood is too nice to cover so;
Clear? nitro chips easily and this won't look shit with a few dings. Boring though .
Trans purple, that's the answer so I got some paint from my supplier and the pigment is too heavy to get the look I was after so trans purple burst flat polished top open pore back is the new (ever changing) plan. The reason is so that when it chips (and nitro will ) it can age gracefully. I didn't want it perfect because that is too thick in the paint and detrimental to the sound.
Relic (maybe) so I can not care about the chips and do a crazy thin finish? but a reliced Ibanez may just look shit?
So this is where I am up too.
Pics to follow.

Great looking project so far. I agree nitro looks good early on but tends to have issues with age/abuse...I prefer an automotive 2k clear.
Love the Gotoh GE1996T! Best quality licensed Floyd out there! I've used a couple on different builds.
I've run into the same issue trying to source a neck for an Ibanez build. Seems alot of guys are parting out used ibanez on reverb more and more. It's always hit or miss tho and if a decent prestige neck shows up they want crazy money for them. Please keep us updated and let us know if you find a reasonably priced source for quality aftermarket necks or if you find someone that sells OEM replacements.
😜🤘

Great looking project so far. I agree nitro looks good early on but tends to have issues with age/abuse...I prefer an automotive 2k clear.
Love the Gotoh GE1996T! Best quality licensed Floyd out there! I've used a couple on different builds.
I've run into the same issue trying to source a neck for an Ibanez build. Seems alot of guys are parting out used ibanez on reverb more and more. It's always hit or miss tho and if a decent prestige neck shows up they want crazy money for them. Please keep us updated and let us know if you find a reasonably priced source for quality aftermarket necks or if you find someone that sells OEM replacements.
😜🤘
Looks wise 2k every day but I don't like the tone of it on a guitar. I prefer the tone of a body with thin nitro over bare wood, just seems lively ,hard to explain.

Looks wise 2k every day but I don't like the tone of it on a guitar. I prefer the tone of a body with thin nitro over bare wood, just seems lively ,hard to explain.
I've seen other people say that too. Honestly, I really can't tell the difference. To me it's so negligible I'd still choose the 2k. That's the great thing about putting together your own though...you get to use what you want.
😜🤘

I've seen other people say that too. Honestly, I really can't tell the difference. To me it's so negligible I'd still choose the 2k. That's the great thing about putting together your own though...you get to use what you want.
😜🤘
I bet you could .

So many variables that give an instrument mojo. The type of clear coat is pretty far down on my list. I avoid the whole tone wood debate and this is pretty much along those lines. To each their own.
Anyway...I've been searching for necks since reading your post this morning.
Have you tried these guys?
http://www.edroman.com/parts/necksforsale.htm
I'm in the UK and these guys even without ED have a terrible reputation, maybe not justified.Thanks for the suggestion though. I may be able to bend an arm at Ibanez. And I do have a back up plan.

One build I did I just ended up putting a 24 fret indo neck from a s520 on a mij RG. I hated it. So I took it off, changed the profile to an asymmetrical radius, and sealed it with linseed oil. It is the fastest playing RG I own now. Been on there a couple years without needing adjustment so it turned out pretty stable. I figure I just got lucky cuz it's definitely hit or miss on indo wood quality... especially a scarf jointed one piece. Can't wait to see your finished guitar.

Great choice with the 56mm heel width, those slightly narrower necks feels so much better to me.

This is the plan B.
A roasted maple Indo neck trimmed to 56mm heel, fret dressed or refretted and the contour made the same as a Japan. Could almost have built one from scratch by the time I've done this though.

I'm in the UK and these guys even without ED have a terrible reputation, maybe not justified.Thanks for the suggestion though. I may be able to bend an arm at Ibanez. And I do have a back up plan.
I don't know about without Ed, but they have a bad reputation here, too.

Back
Top Bottom