Stuff to remember - Trying to reproduce exact recorded tones

browlett

Experienced
I had mentioned something similar today in a reply to someone on the recordings page here on the Fractal forums. I thought that the general idea was worthy of discussion here for the sake of people who are new to using the AXE FX direct (FRFR) and also to just share tips. With regards to trying to "nail" certain tones that you hear recorded somewhere, it's really easy just to think to yourself, "Oh - He's using a blackface with jensen speakers (or whatever). I can recreate that in the AXE FX exactly." ...and, then proceed to build a patch using those exact amp models and cabinet IR's. You then tweak a little and play, but find yourself disappointed and confused that it doesn't sound like what you were trying to copy.

Your tone may sound good, but it's "different" from the exact thing that you were after. The difference may be the high end. It may be the saturation of the gain. It may be that it doesn't "ring" the same way. It may not sound as powerful. It might drive you crazy trying to figure out why a patch with a JCM800 block into a Marshall 4x12 IR doesn't sound like a live Guns 'N Roses clip from the late 80's that you're trying to match. The thing that it sometimes takes people a little while to realize is that a recorded tone has many more factors involed than just the types of guitar, amp, and cabinet used. The sound of the original recording that you're hearing and comparing your sound to may be influenced a camera mic, recording device, or numerous other things. If your goal is to sound the same, you may have to try and figure out what's different about it and start asking yourself what can be tweaked in the AXE FX to get you closer to that. This might even involve using a different amp block or cabinet sim than what you think the original artist had used. For example - whenever I can't get something to sound close, I often will try a different cabinet IR. If you can't seem to get that distinct sound, maybe the IR that you're presently using has too "dark" of a coloring to reproduce the sound that was captured in the original (or vice versa)?

It sometimes takes a while to wrap your head around all of this. For example: In the case of someone who's trying to match what they hear on a live demo or lesson from their favorite artist, they shouldn't necessarily be trying to just create what his rig may have sounded like that day "in the room". Rather, they should be trying to mimic what got recorded for his demonstration, which you may even be hearing on Youtube or something similar. If that's what you think sounded good, that's what you should strive for. But, who knows how that person's amp/speaker was mic'ed up (if at all) that day? What kind of mic(s)? How many? At what angle(s)? These will all affect what we're hearing. Trying to copy the end result isn't as simple as just figuring out which amp and speaker someone used and dialing up "the same thing" in the AXE FX. If you were there and standing off to the side while a live gear demo was actually being performed, you may have heard something different (tonally) from what we hear when we click on a link to that clip online. Anyway, my hope was to start a discussion about people's similar experiences and see if we can compile some useful advice for people who are new to the whole concept of trying to use the AXE FX to recreate their favorite recorded or live tones. Does anyone else have something to add?

I would like to add that certain tone on the record that someone is trying to dial in Axe
is most likely effected by mastering which usually means bit of compression, EQ and such.
Another very important thing imo is that guitar tone within band mix doesn't always sound the same
when played alone, some tones blend nicely and and fit in whole picture while they might be not so great when you
play channel solo, and the other way around.

Excellent points. It all confirms the idea (for me) that you have to let your ears guide you. Just because setting something up a certain way seems to make sense to you before you do it, it doesn't mean that it's going to be perfect or even the right way to get what you need. You have to try it out, think, adjust, and be open to trying different or unconventional things. And, don't be afraid to mess around with the advanced parameters in the amp blocks (and elsewhere in your patches). Unless you save the patch again after changing everything, you won't erase what you had before. Also, one of the beautiful things about the AXE FX is that you can safely mess around with things like Power Amp Sag, Power Tube Bias, and B+ Capacitance (virtually) in crazy ways that would blow up your amp and/or kill you if you did the same things in real life with real amps. The point is that there is no harm in experimenting in unusual ways here. So, why not do it and see what it sounds like?

Another reason is double tracking, or triple tracking etc.

I have heard two guitar tones I didn't like at all mixed together (not necessarily 50-50, but maybe 70-30 or 80-20) become totally different sounds..(that I actually liked). The different tones that were mixed have been as minimally different as just different types of mics in different spots on the speaker.

It amazed me when I saw it done the first time.

Time and time again, people fail to train and educate their ears, and this is the key to reproducing other people's tones.

"use your ears" is a useless term unless you've been learning how to pick apart and understand what you're hearing. This involves a lot of data: frequencies, ambience, mics, cabs, compression, pedals, guitars, pickups, other effects, even the player's general technique.

Look in the wiki for my little blurb on dialing covers. It goes over some basic stuff I do, and I'm far from an expert, but maybe it'll help. Just look up the tutorials and mine is there somewhere.

I appreciate this sort of topic and currently cant seem to get that last 5% of tone to match the sound I'm trying to get.

I've tried and tried but I just cant seem to find the answer to what will pull the "dullness" off of the tone.

To be completely honest, my experience in dialing in tones is fairly limited. I cant really comprehend a LOT of the advanced parameters in my Ultra.

On the other hand, my ears for picking stuff of the record and playing it "correctly" are much stronger, which is to say, I think what is missing in my tone IS within the Ultra itself.

Damn that pesky 5%.

Usually the final 5% depend on having the original mix playing along with you without the guitars.

If you try playing to master tracks you'll see that it's a lot easier to achieve the desired tone, without nowhere as much effort as when playing solo

I always thought it was interesting how hard people work to try to sound like someone else. That's part of the reason why I've been playing for 20 years and barely know any cover songs. lol

KeithM said:
I always thought it was interesting how hard people work to try to sound like someone else. That's part of the reason why I've been playing for 20 years and barely know any cover songs. lol

Well, if you've been playing for 20 years, by now you know there are two camps.

Those who only play the things they come up with

and those of us who have no problems with learning songs that they think are cool.

Different strokes and all that.

Back
Top Bottom