Studio speakers for Axe-Fx

gigawatt

Experienced
I'm on the fence between the Presonus Sceptre S6, Equator D8, and the Tannoy System 800/600. I'm torn between active or passive, and 8 inch or 6 inch woofer. They're going in a bedroom about 15'x15' with lots of curtains, I will be sitting very close to the monitors so will I feel some bass from the 6 inchers? Also, I like the coaxial design of each of these. If I went with the Tannoys I'd be using an ADA Microtube 200 amplifier. Thanks for any input.

I am also looking at the Yamaha HS7, seen many good reviews on them. Would they hold their own against the above mentioned?

Thanks Again!

This is a lot about personal choices and preferences. So people will normally tell you to buy the same as they have.

I'm no different.

I started out with KRK VXT8 and then I actually had Yamaha DXR10's as "studio monitors" for a while. While good enough for monitoring the Axe alone they are not adequate for generel monitors purposes (no surprise really).

Recently I bought a pair of Equator D8 MkII and I think they are keepers. I also contemplated Sceptre S8, HS8 and Dynaudio BM5 MKIII. If the Equators wasn't my cup of tea the Dynaudios were next on my list (because I know them from friends).

I know that in my room 6" is a little too little, so I wouldn't go for less than 7" anyway. But it is fairly acoustically treated which plays a big role here.

I'm not familiar with the Tannoys.

Thanks for the response.:) I was looking at the Equators closely, until I saw the peak spl of the Sceptre S8's is a whopping 116 dB!

I had a feeling I'd have to go with 8", bigger is better lol. Too bad they cost twice as much as the S6".

I was looking at the Equators too as mentioned above, but I could only find them for sale in England.

I have a feeling you're going to love the S8s. I've had mine for a while, and still think they are some of the best monitors of their size I have heard, regardless of price. Good choice. Check this video of 5aint's first exposure to them. His reaction to the Scepters is classic, and had a bit of influence on my choice as well.

I have a feeling you're going to love the S8s.

Well, just got a chance to listen to em today. Wow, the tweeters sound outstanding, not harsh at all coming from a horn. Smooth and detailed, and I was sitting just a little better than 3ft away. They also get VERY LOUD! Hehe, that's what I was hoping for :D, although I can't turn them up very often in an apartment :(. I don't really have anything to compare them to except my old Klipsch Ref 4's and Polk Lsi 15's, different animals. I got to check them out for about 10 min and was really liking what I heard. This is a recording I did and the 1st thing I played through them. I found a track on Youtube without guitars and converted it to an MP3… Then copied and pasted it into a Garage Band track and did all the guitars myself. I'm surprised it turned out as good as it did being an MP3 for background and not using studio monitors.

Anyway, here's the song. Let me know what your monitors (everyone, not just Rick), pick up and where the problems areas are. I have an idea, whata you hear?

The Presonus S8s are some of the least fatiguing speakers I’ve ever had. That smooth, accurate, and punchy sound just hasn’t gotten old in the years I’ve had them. I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying yours!

The Presonus S8s are some of the least fatiguing speakers I’ve ever had. That smooth, accurate, and punchy sound just hasn’t gotten old in the years I’ve had them. I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying yours!

Thanks Rick :)

"Least fatiguing," that's good to hear, surprising too considering they have a horn right in you face!

Yeah I like them a lot so far. I took a chance but like the overall "coactual" design, very classy looking, almost as classy as the Yamaha's and their white woofers. :rolleyes: I have to be careful though that my source material isn't turned up too loud when I switch them on! I didn't realize they were so big, well at least to security at my apt. complex… (Guitar Center packaged them in HUGE boxes). I haven't measured them but I bet they're bigger than specs say.

Are you using any of the filters on the back? I haven't gotten that far yet, they sound great without em, although I'd like to try the "acoustic space" feature cuz they are real close to two walls, one's in a corner! :eek:

Have you had a chance to listen to the recording I posted above? Would like to hear your thoughts :).

I assume that's you in your avatar picture? As the late great Harry Carey would say, "He's a good lookin' fella."

Yeah, that’s onstage in Galveston years back opening for The Beach Boys. It was a memorable night.

I’ve listened to the recording, but just on an iPad. I’ll be in my band cave on Friday prior to a gig and will give it a proper listen there! The speakers are a little larger than some, but the sound is worth it to me. They are on decoupling stands in my space, though not in the best location wall-wise. Still, I haven’t had need to use the onboard filters. I think they’re great sounding as is, and the clean reproduction had me listening louder than I thought at first. Once I backed them off to the same volume as I had been using, it became apparent how much I had been missing.

Listening reminded me of how people kept telling me “use this mic, it sounds just like a U87” and then I actually bought a U87i and was astonished at the clarity and what you can hear. I love hearing new things on the S8s in songs I’ve listened to for 30 years!

Last edited:
Listening reminded me of how people kept telling me “use this mic, it sounds just like a U87” and then I actually bought a U87i and was astonished at the clarity and what you can hear. I love hearing new things on the S8s in songs I’ve listened to for 30 years!

Sounds like I have a lot to look forward too! You have a U87i? Did you have to refinance your house? lol.

I’ve listened to the recording, but just on an iPad.

Did you have a nice set of cans you were listening to it through? If not I know of a thread here that might help :D.

I’ll be in my band cave on Friday prior to a gig and will give it a proper listen there!

Great, I'm interested to see if your hearing what I'm hearing. It turned out pretty well considering I didn't have the S8's at the time.

Yeah, it’s almost embarrassing. I was on a recording thing for a bit and decided I was going to have at least one or two good mics. That one resulted in a lot of payments. But it’s paid for now and I am telling you, there’s a reason top studios use them. Amazing clarity. Too good, in fact, for some vocals I’ve found. But a really good vocalist just shines on it. During my mic freak out, I also got a Bock Audio iFet. Not as wallet bashing, but a pretty spectacular sounding U47ish mic with two complete inner circuits. Sweetwater turned me on to it, and it’s a special mic.

Now, if someone will just gift me a Telefunken U47, I would be set for life. As lunatic crazy as I get on equipment sometimes, even I haven’t dove into water that deep. What a gorgeous sounding vocal mic, though.

Last edited:
I bought the E5's recently. Got a pair for $207. I haven't set them up yet because I'm moving next week and I don't want to get them out of the box etc.. But I might if I get bored this weekend (rain in Houston). I hear the E5's and E8's are really good for the price. I feel good about the purchase :).

bought the E5's recently. Got a pair for $207. I haven't set them up yet because I'm moving next week and I don't want to get them out of the box etc.. But I might if I get bored this weekend (rain in Houston). I hear the E5's and E8's are really good for the price. I feel good about the purchase :).

Hmm, can you refresh my memory, who makes the E5/E8's? Presonis? Geez $207 is a great price for just one monitor!

Presonis Eris E5. The pair was $207. Open box. Like I said though, I don't know how they sound yet, but imagine I won't be disappointed. I'd read in one of the threads that a few of the Fractal guys use the Eris (not sure 5inch or 8inch) and are really good for the price.

From what I read I may have to tweak depending on wall proximities. But after tweaking the AX8, I have a better understanding of how to apply the HP filters and deal with unwanted frequencies. Still learning.

From what I read I may have to tweak depending on wall proximities. But after tweaking the AX8, I have a better understanding of how to apply the HP filters and deal with unwanted frequencies. Still learning.

That's cool, congrats on the new Presonis speakers and good luck with them :). I know what you mean about walls, I had to put mine only a couple inches from the wall behind them (angled inwards) and one of them is in a corner! :eek: They have DSP filters but I haven't tried them yet.

OMG!! This is the first time I’ve ever listened to music through studio monitors. The vocal track on the first song I threw up is pan centered. I kept checking to see if my Mac Pro’s speaker were on and playing. The stereo effect is so awesome. This is incredible!!!

OMG!! This is the first time I’ve ever listened to music through studio monitors. The vocal track on the first song I threw up is pan centered. I kept checking to see if my Mac Pro’s speaker were on and playing. The stereo effect is so awesome. This is incredible!!!

Haha, at first I thought you were joking, especially when you said "threw up." That's cool, always happy to see a satisfied customer! (I used to work in customer service, old habits are hard to break ;)). JE-sus, doesn't the emoji shrink too?

Haha, at first I thought you were joking, especially when you said "threw up." That's cool, always happy to see a satisfied customer! (I used to work in customer service, old habits are hard to break ;)). JE-sus, doesn't the emoji shrink too?

Yeah..nope! I have had stereo hi-if systems, bad ass car audio systems. But the experience of sitting 4’ away from these and hearing the detail is an experience that’s long over due.

Yeah..nope! I have had stereo hi-if systems, bad ass car audio systems. But the experience of sitting 4’ away from these and hearing the detail is an experience that’s long over due.
Hey man, sorry I'm replying to an old thread, but I'm very curious how you like the Eris E5 for playing guitar through.

I just picked up JBL LSR305's. They sound great, but they are larger than I though for my small desk. Thinking about returning for the E5s.

They are surprisingly really good. There is some bottom end that's missing in the kick drums but for the guitar it's great. I find myself rarely firing up my Xitone because at lower levels or when recording the E5's are great. I found them 'open box' and got them very cheap.

Back
Top Bottom