Studio Slip for FM9

In a very unexpected plot twist, the FM9 arrived BEFORE the Studio Slip. Fractal Audio is getting it done with the FM9 release.
Well... they can't make a bag before the dimensions are fixed, doing otherwise is a bad business decision when you're a small company, or two small companies.

I'm not sure how closely they're allied, but Studio Slips makes great bags, they're flexible on the designs, and they are well worth the money because they last a long time.

Well... they can't make a bag before the dimensions are fixed, doing otherwise is a bad business decision when you're a small company, or two small companies.

I'm not sure how closely they're allied, but Studio Slips makes great bags, they're flexible on the designs, and they are well worth the money because they last a long time.
They do make great stuff. This will be something like my 9th or 10th bag/slip from them. They protect a lot of my gear.

I just received my FM9 bag also. Very nicely made. My only complaint is that it picks up dog hair very easily :D
We have a chihuahua that is banned from my music room because he sheds all the time. I threaten to wrap him in duct tape daily just to pull all the loose hair off him. A damp washcloth will go a long way toward removing hair from the bag.

Just received mine, and I'm quite disappointed. I expected that the double padding would be on par with the solid quarter inch or so of padding on my Mono bag. Instead, the "double" padding amounts what feels like a sixteenth at most. Given the price, I expected better. I'm not even sure I'm going to use the thing...it doesn't seem very protective at all. Maybe if I figure out a way to rig an inner sleeve....

Edit: Studio Slips acknowledged that the bags I received were manufactured incorrectly, and they remade them with the correct amount of padding. Their customer service is outstanding.

Although I would still consider the bags to be "light duty", it was a significant improvement.

Last edited:
Just received mine, and I'm quite disappointed. I expected that the double padding would be on par with the solid quarter inch or so of padding on my Mono bag. Instead, the "double" padding amounts what feels like a sixteenth at most. Given the price, I expected better. I'm not even sure I'm going to use the thing...it doesn't seem very protective at all. Maybe if I figure out a way to rig an inner sleeve....

Did you order the deluxe bag or customize your own?

Did you order the deluxe bag or customize your own?
The stock FM9 deluxe bag. The shell of the Studio Slips bag is extremely well made. No complaints there.

The issue for me is that with my Mono Kontroller bag, there was enough padding that I never hesitated to put it with my AX8 or with the later FM3 + FC6 combo in with other gear. That design provided almost a half inch of padding on the front and back because of the multiple padded compartments, and about a quarter inch on the "weaker" sides. Unfortunately, Mono doesn't make an appropriately sized bag for the FM9...I believe that even the Kontroller is discontinued now.

The padding on the Studio Slips bag is so thin (total thickness feels about the same as a sheet of felt) that I'd worry that a hit from a stray mic stand or instrument case could take out one of the screens or a knob. I'm thinking of getting some sturdier packing foam to make an inner shell to compensate....but when I ordered, I never considered that it might be necessary!

Edit: Studio Slips acknowledged that the bags I received were manufactured incorrectly, and they remade them with the correct amount of padding. Their customer service is outstanding.

Although I would still consider the bags to be "light duty", it was a significant improvement.

Last edited:
The stock FM9 deluxe bag. The shell of the Studio Slips bag is extremely well made. No complaints there.

The issue for me is that with my Mono Kontroller bag, there was enough padding that I never hesitated to put it with my AX8 or with the later FM3 + FC6 combo in with other gear. That design provided almost a half inch of padding on the front and back because of the multiple padded compartments, and about a quarter inch on the "weaker" sides. Unfortunately, Mono doesn't make an appropriately sized bag for the FM9...I believe that even the Kontroller is discontinued now.

The padding on the Studio Slips bag is so thin (total thickness feels about the same as a sheet of felt) that I'd worry that a hit from a stray mic stand or instrument case could take out one of the screens or a knob. I'm thinking of getting some sturdier packing foam to make an inner shell to compensate....but when I ordered, I never considered that it might be necessary!
Yes Mono discontinued both the Kontroller and 365. As soon as I saw the Studio Slip I thought it looks too thin. I am using an SKB SC2111 very inexpensive. A bit bigger than FM9 and super sturdy

Back
Top Bottom