Studio Slip for FM9

Yes Mono discontinued both the Kontroller and 365. As soon as I saw the Studio Slip I thought it looks too thin. I am using an SKB SC2111 very inexpensive. A bit bigger than FM9 and super sturdy

Thanks for the pointer. I'll keep looking, but with quite a bit more caution. Also thinking about a Pelican style foam filled hard case.

Is there enough padding to not worry about the ev being up there
There is a good amount of padding (as much, or more, than the double-padded exterior). It's a soft case, so I do plan to be careful to not sling it around, drop the case; drop/stack stuff on top, etc... I'm loading this and my guitar in to my car (i.e. not loading this along with a bunch of other gear in to a van/truck.

Yes Mono discontinued both the Kontroller and 365. As soon as I saw the Studio Slip I thought it looks too thin. I am using an SKB SC2111 very inexpensive. A bit bigger than FM9 and super sturdy
Looks like a decent fit. Can you get an expression pedal (or two) and cables in the front pocket?

I have their 2316 for my pedalboard case. I like the hard foam but the front pocket is thin and doesn’t fit much. The shoulder strap was also weenie but I replaced it with a more heavy duty one.

AM-JKLUuV6D0sN1bJ6zQz0qgMeqpfkge5OLY9tov7lV3IVC2ElceArtrD09BI2xtuHhZcSTSZfRv7jcUDfO-WAjb8hHqzAO7wmPk9RnstZhcmcKhfHB0WQX2QP1D9nMjgwM313lVFspBq2NlVFvpeTpwICdZ=w1170-h879-no

You ordered the FM9 bag?

I did. I ordered the stock, pre-specced deluxe FM9 bag.

There's gotta be a difference here. Post a picture?

I'm pretty busy this weekend, but I'll post pictures when I can. I'll compare the padding on various gig bags I have lying around to the Studio Slips bag. Heck, I'll even grab some calipers and post measurements. The lousy Kaces bag I was using to carry cables until the seams burst has more padding.

If you haven’t already i would reach out to Studio Slips to double check, they’ve been very responsive and helpful for me.
I will do that as well, but I wouldn't expect much. The have a strict (and understandable) no return policy, and it seems very far-fetched that this would be an error, since all of the order paperwork indicates double padding.

Edit: Studio Slips acknowledged that the bags I received were manufactured incorrectly, and they remade them with the correct amount of padding. Their customer service is outstanding.

Although I would still consider the bags to be "light duty", it was a significant improvement.

Last edited:
As soon as I saw the Studio Slip I thought it looks too thin.
Did you look at a photo, or was the bag physically in front of you where you could put your hands on it?

I have several of their bags and they’re definitely well made and capable. Studio Slips doesn’t use a closed-cell foam padding, so it isn’t thick like what Mono uses, it’s a totally different design. https://studioslips.com/faq/#should-i-order-single-or-double-padding

And, it’s important to remember, these are gig-bags, used in cars and subways and walking to a gig, not designed to be tossed into the hold of an airplane or in a van underneath road-cases. They’ll work wonderfully being top-loaded or packed next to luggage.

Last edited:
Did you look at a photo, or was the bag physically in front of you where you could put your hands on it?

I have several of their bags and they’re definitely well made and capable. Studio Slips doesn’t use a closed-cell foam padding, so it isn’t thick like what Mono uses, it’s a totally different design. https://studioslips.com/faq/#should-i-order-single-or-double-padding

And, it’s important to remember, these are gig-bags, used in cars and subways and walking to a gig, not designed to be tossed into the hold of an airplane or in a van underneath road-cases. They’ll work wonderfully being top-loaded or packed next to luggage.
No it was not in front of me. I have owned their product before so I know what I am looking at when I see it. Mono stuff is also designed for use with cars, subways ect but I am sure you know that already

Looks like a decent fit. Can you get an expression pedal (or two) and cables in the front pocket?

I have their 2316 for my pedalboard case. I like the hard foam but the front pocket is thin and doesn’t fit much. The shoulder strap was also weenie but I replaced it with a more heavy duty one.

AM-JKLUuV6D0sN1bJ6zQz0qgMeqpfkge5OLY9tov7lV3IVC2ElceArtrD09BI2xtuHhZcSTSZfRv7jcUDfO-WAjb8hHqzAO7wmPk9RnstZhcmcKhfHB0WQX2QP1D9nMjgwM313lVFspBq2NlVFvpeTpwICdZ=w1170-h879-no
My buddy keeps an ev2 in the top pouch

Mine came in this morning. It’s a really well-made bag, that I think will equal the FM3+FC6 bag for portability. The FM3+FC6 bag is more of a cube because they’re stacked, whereas the FM9 bag is long and thin. Either would fit overhead on a plane, but the FM3+FC6 bag would also fit under a seat.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use either in the trunk of a car with luggage, or in a van or trailer with cases, as long as it was top-loaded, but that’s because these are gig-bags, not hard shell road cases. They’re made for transit systems, taxis, as carry-on in the cabin of a plane, etc.

I give it a 10 and I can dance to it.

Got my Studio Slips bag yesterday. I could see where the OP would consider it thin on padding. It's not like it has 1" of dense foam all the way around, but I think that it is adequate for what I need it for. It is a snug fit with just enough padding for me. I am not checking it with my luggage or stacking my power amp rack on top of it in the trunk. I think if it was more padded, I might not like it as much. It is well made and I don't expect that the stitching will ever come apart. The zipper pouch on the outside holds both of my full size Mission pedals and cables. Worth it for me!

The Studio Slip is anything but thin. It's very well padded.
Based on pictures - I wouldn’t describe it as “very well padded…”. Certainly not padded enough for the price, in my opinion. But YMMV.

The padding on mine is about the thickness of a sheet of felt. Did they make a manufacturing error with mine? How much padding on yours?
Based on these pictures in the other “FM9 Case” thread (sorry, I don’t have enough posts to post a link to it yet), I’m with you - looks like it’s pretty thin with not much thicker “pillowing” sewn in….

I've edited my posts regarding the Studio Slips FM9 bag. Once Studio Slips realized that they had made a manufacturing error on the bags they had sent me, they were quick to remedy the situation. I now have the double padded bags that I actually ordered.

Since my original posts, a number of other buyers have chimed in, and they've covered (pun accidental) the situation quite well.

The bag is well made, and protective in the event of careful handling. I won't toss it in the gig vehicle along with PA, instrument cases, mic stands, etc....something I did regularly with my former Mono bag. I'll use the Studio Slips bags. I just have to be a bit more cautious over where I stow the Fractal portion of my gear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom