Studio One or Reaper or Pro Tools?

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Years ago, I was a Pro Tools guy.

I later switched to Sonic Foundry/Sony Acid. I loved that but now it seems kind of limited and crashes a lot. I tried Fruity Loops and while it may be great for techno, I don't find it very inspiring or handling audio as intuitively as Acid.

I am intrigued by Studio One because of the ir shooting capturing capabilities and Velodyne integration, as well allowing me to still create in loop based snippets, which seems where me headspace is at in getting ideas down quickly.

Last time I used Pro Tools was the early 2000's so I don't know if it's more stable nowadays.

I hear great things about Reaper too, but having never used it and it not having ir integration, I don't know if that's a good way for me to go.

Can anybody tell me their experiences with each and they like & dislike about each?

i don't do much DAW work, but i absolutely love Studio One and have switched to it. i was a Cubase user and it is quite similar, so that may be part of it. I never understood PT or Reaper.

I started with Cakewalk Home Studio and eventually migrated to Sonar XL and Producer versions. Later I started playing around with Sony Acid Latin, then moved to Pro and stayed with that from v3 to v7, then switched to ProTools (or TRIED to anyway). While I was still in transition a friend told me about Reaper. I made the switch and never looked back. Any issues I had with Acid and VST's/VFX instruments were resolved during the first hour after I fired up Reaper for the first time.

Still use both Reaper and Acid today. Acid is great for creating loops for simple parts, and Reaper is heads and shoulders above everything else I tried for a DAW, though I've never worked with Studio One (yet anyway).

YMMV

Reaper is working pretty well for me, but I'm definitely looking for something more user-friendly, and with more, easier to use tools. Samplitude is top of my list right now. Plus, is does native CD tracks with direct CD burning with IRSC.

I'm not really useful here, but I used various cubases to this day (element 8) and never opened something else :D
(Thanks to free versions with hardware when I was younger, thanks marketing)

I liked all the DAWs until I realised they were just gratuitously ripping off Pro Tools.

...So I switched to Pro Tools.

Greetings,

I'm a very satisfied REAPER user and have been for many years. As long as strong MIDI functionality isn't important, I'd definitely recommend it highly.

Cheers,

Alan

I liked all the DAWs until I realised they were just gratuitously ripping off Pro Tools.

...So I switched to Pro Tools.

So does the current version of Pro Tools crash on you or does it not crash? That was one of the reasons why I originally abandoned it, as I alluded to above.

I really don't care who is ripping off whom. I care about does the DAW crash and what people like about it or what they don't like.

Studio One 3 here.

I am far from a DAW expert, but have done some work in PT and years ago in Digital Performer. I find Studio One to be a quicker learn for people like me who aren't using it every day, and the Presonus company is much more helpful and involved with the user than most other companies. It's been a better experience.

I use reaper because it was affordable, I stick around bc it's open source and updates are free and (compared to other DAWs) fairly often. It's definitely gotten much easier to use in recent years as well

It's not open source, but you're correct about the frequent updates. Been using it for years and I wouldn't dream of using anything else. It has IR integration via the built-in Reverbate plugin, but I just use CabLab with it. Works like a charm. Reaper has a trial that you can use to see how well you like it. The interface and workflow is completely customization so there's something for everyone.

I use REAPER as well. Frequent updates, completely customize everything I want in it, lots of really great tools out the door, every VST plugin I've tried has worked flawlessly, and it is pretty user friendly. There are tons of videos, tutorials, and topics on the REAPER forum and youtube. Plus it was only like $60 if I remember correctly. I can't imagine using anything else since I've been using it for the last 3-4 months.

Edit: Also, there are tons of really powerful and great VST plugins out and about these days, have tried several and was very pleased with them, so ended up buying the full versions for anywhere from $5-$30. If you are on a budget and need powerful and useful tools for your DAW, you can't go wrong by using REAPER and some of the many VSTs on the open source market.

Last edited:
I do everything with REAPER. I left PT a long time ago and have never looked back (and this was coming off an HD system). Had enough of Digi/AVID.
DITTO !!
I also have Studio One (because it came with my Presonus console) but I prefer Reaper.. and now on my 3rd license renewal with them.

Pro Tools 12 Native on Windows here.

It is stable but working with loops is no where near as easy as Sony Acid. I'm also a big fan of Sony Acid.

I used to use Rewire to run my Acid sessions inside pro tools but have switched to using loops natively in pro tools. (and subsequently don't use nearly as many loops and its a bummer).

It's not open source, but you're correct about the frequent updates. Been using it for years and I wouldn't dream of using anything else. It has IR integration via the built-in Reverbate plugin, but I just use CabLab with it. Works like a charm. Reaper has a trial that you can use to see how well you like it. The interface and workflow is completely customization so there's something for everyone.
Ah, mistook it using open source components for ur being OS. D'oh!

Back
Top Bottom