Studio One/Axe as Soundcard/External Effect Routing

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79338

Hi all

I kind of posed this question before but I didn't pursue as I got rid off the outboard device. However I have purchased a new rack compressor, and an EQ of which I may buy a second. Ideally I want to have my Preamp, Compressor and 2x EQ as seperate external effects in Studio One.

I am struggling to set these devices up as an external effect in Studio One using the Axe FX.
I have :

• connected the compressor up to channel 3 physical input and outputs
  • added these into Studio One routing
  • set up the Axe Edit to have USB in-Out3-In3 (and tried many variations)
  • I then addithe PipelineX as an effect,
  • Set the input a d output in PipelineX

The problem is I just can't get the audio from Studio One to route to the compressor.

I am about to purchase a Focusrite Gen3 but ideally I would prefer to use the Axe as my soundcard.

Any ideas where I could be going wrong? I have looked at the routing matrix provided by one of the members but I just cannot get this to work.

Regards

Mike

Are you sending the audio to USB Outputs 7 & 8 in the DAW? Check the meters screen on the Axe III to see if there's actually signal coming into those inputs.

I am going to try again now to see if that works

I’ve tired working combining some outboard gear with a DAW (studio one and Ableton) and frankly find it just doesn’t work given the added round trip latency and gain staging issues. Couldn’t do any parallel processing due to the latency between the DA and AD round trip and couldn’t manage to dial any track delay in to resolve it either.

What I did was get a Soundcraft mtk 22 mixer/interface, send the daw tracks to dedicated channels of the mixer; which has 5 aux sends and also 4 mono/2 stereo buses you can route through. I then return those back to dedicated stereo channels or the main bus and record that back into the daw over usb.

this way I can do all my hardware effects (and nice analog eq) out of the box as a master bus/analog summing tool and everything is really easy to work with and there isn’t any added latency etc.

I think it’s the ideal hybrid of hands on analog workflow using hardware and still having the luxury of a DAW

not exactly what your asking, but long story short, mixing hardware outboard with a DAW will drive you crazy to make it work the way it should

Ah got it working, but some very strange behaviour.

You were right Fender, I was looking at it like a normal soundcard, never thought is USB as a return.

So what I have done is:

*Connected to Input and Output 3
*In Axe FX created InUSB-Out3-in3-Mixer for Mono-Out2

In Studio One I have set my Output to USB with no Input selected.

It now routes to my Compressor, but none of the Solo or Mute functions work as it is bypassing Studio one and coming straight out the Axe as Direct Monitoring.

Ssooooo close

@lqdsnddist

Not what I am looking for but a good suggestion as a consideration.

I am noticing the delay even without it returning to Studio One. Having Studio One calculate the round trip doesn't get around that...... admittedly I am only just trying this.

I only purchased some Klark Tecknik gear, it's so cheap if I have to create dedicated channel strips I will. I was trying more or less to not set the compression whilst singing but use a loop of my vocals along with the track.

What is frustrating is all the demoes showing this setup are either isolated tracks or whole tracks, neither of which would demonstrate latency. I can't find oue that shows a vocal being effected whilst playing against the whole track.

Maybe I am in the wind on this one.....although it does save me buying a soundcard.

By the way got some great results reamping my vocals into the Axe.....

Went old school. Tried to route the vocals from the track to the axe then back to a second track. Still nothing.

I have hit the compressor, getting it back seems to be a problem.

If you send your grid audio to the Out 2 block, you will hear the live output in your monitors if they are connected to Output 2. You'll need to use the Out 1 block instead and record via USB Inputs 1 and 2 if you want to monitor through the DAW. USB Outputs 3 & 4 should still be used for monitoring the main DAW output.

Last edited:
Oh the latency offset worked too so nicely routed as an External Effect.

Fender cheers bud.

The only limitation is that I use Output1 for Headphones and Wireless listening and Output 2 for monitors but for now the concept is there.

Some odd behaviour.

If you have InUSB-Out3-In3-Out1 it seems to output the original to the left and the compressed to the right.

Add an Output2 block, turn it off and leave it disconnected and it suddenly goes back to a mono vocal.....how strange.

Back
Top Bottom