Studio monitors, should i upgrade?

juanpmoran

Inspired
Hi!

So i´ve mixing and just powering my AXE FXII since forever through a pair of Prodipe Pro 5 V2 (250 €), now i´m wondering if i should upgrade to a pair of Neumann KH120 (1.200 €).

Is it enough with the pair of monitors i already have or the upgrade will make my face melt with the awesomeness?¿

THX!!!

Good speakers will make you happy every time you listen to anything. I've only heard good things about those Neumann's.

I don't know anything about those Prodipe monitors, but I will say this: even the best monitors will deceive you if your mix room has issues. Depending on what acoustic treatments you have and what your room is like, you may have better success investing the extra money in bass traps or other treatments. Just a thought.

Anything is an upgrade from KRK Rokit's - they are terrible speakers!!!...I wouldn't buy any other KRK's though!!!
Well, when i compared them to Yamaha hs8, the krk sounded far better and less agressive... Anyway i'll probably stick to krk but upgrade to vxt8

Well, when i compared them to Yamaha hs8, the krk sounded far better and less agressive... Anyway i'll probably stick to krk but upgrade to vxt8

The krk sound better...but way too colored imho. Would go for the hs8 any day...but that only my oppinion :)

If you can afford the Neumanns I can't think of a reason not to buy them, unless you can afford even more expensive ones :laughing:

They are speakers and not monitors....they are way too coloured ...and so thats why they sounded "better" ........in reality they are producing very far from what they are supposed to be monitoring.....

Probably, but mixing on something that kills your ears is not for me ;)

Then I would look at something other than the HS8"s. I have the Presonus Eris E8's that I run my AX8 through. I really like them and they are very popular on the board. KRK's are infamous for coloring your sound and being wildly inaccurate. They design them to be so they sell more monitors.

I don't know anything about those Prodipe monitors, but I will say this: even the best monitors will deceive you if your mix room has issues. Depending on what acoustic treatments you have and what your room is like, you may have better success investing the extra money in bass traps or other treatments. Just a thought.
Yes i have no acoustic treatment on my "mixing room", im gonna buy some auralex and check with my current monitors. THX!!

The cheap Behringer measurement mic and free Room EQ Wizard are a wonderful way to really see what's happening in your room.

Look into real bass traps if your studio is more like a typical bedroom studio. Foam surface treatments don't really do anything for bass frequencies, and that is a more likely area for serious problems. IOW, use Auralex with traps, or just traps.

Back
Top Bottom