Studio Monitors Setup Question

guitarkhw

Just got my FM3 and plan to just use studio monitors for my speakers. Question is, can you set up the monitors to play FM3 and have audio from my laptop through the monitors at the same time so I don’t have to unplug and connect when I go from one to the other? If so what is the setup? Will the usb hookup from the laptop to the FM3 do the job if the FM3 is connected to the monitors or is another connection needed. Appreciate any help. Hopefully it’s not to dumb a question.

You need to get XLR to TS cables so you can connect to monitors through output1. This will allow you to play along to backing tracks or whatever. So sound from both FM3 and Computer. Output2 is an either/or situation, not both simultaneously. You will need to have the FM3 on any time you want to send audio to monitors from computer though as it becomes your sound card.

Out 1 XLR to the studio monitors which usually have XLR as well. Set the FM3 as the audio output device over the usb connection. Use the USB audio volume in the Setup menu to control overall volume, but easier from there to use the apps to control volume.

OK sorry to bump this, but all I need to do is run XLR out from "output 1" to hook it up to my studio monitors. Output 1 alone carries the Stereo signal from the FM3 correct. If that is the case then this cable should work for hooking to my iLoud monitors (they have L & R RCA inputs):

Amazon product ASIN B07J5WW49Z

Someone correct me if I am wrong but to get stereo from the XLR of FM3 out1 you need 2 XLR cables: 1 for left and 1 for right.
The XLR connections itself are mono, only the pair makes it stereo.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but to get stereo from the XLR of FM3 out1 you need 2 XLR cables: 1 for left and 1 for right.
The XLR connections itself are mono, only the pair makes it stereo.
Correct! You need 2 cables one for left and one for right for stereo.

OK sorry to bump this, but all I need to do is run XLR out from "output 1" to hook it up to my studio monitors. Output 1 alone carries the Stereo signal from the FM3 correct. If that is the case then this cable should work for hooking to my iLoud monitors (they have L & R RCA inputs):

Amazon product ASIN B07J5WW49Z
The FM3's XLR outs need female connectors, that's a male connector on that cable. You'd still need to run out 1 L & R to get stereo.You wouldn't be able to get stereo out of one XLR output.

Can you get 2 XLR female to RCA cables?

Last edited:
I'm picking up a pair of these right now. Is there a reason why you'd want to go w/ an XLR/RCA converter cable over just using TRS/TRS? Is there some sort of sound quality issue? I know if I plugged into like an FRFR I'd want to use XLRs, but I would assume XLR/RCA isn't the same quality.

Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Back
Top Bottom