Studio Monitors or Headrush-108 for my Axe-Fx II XL+? Confused, please help!

guitarair

Dear adept Axe-Fx users,

Newbie here. I just bought my Axe-Fx II XL+. Now I am confused how to use my Axe-Fx, whether an FRFR speaker or studio monitors. I will be using it basically for home practice. I won't be gigging next few months, so my main purpose is home practice and recording. I can't afford to buy a good FRFR speaker/cab and also they are not available in my country. Musical instrument shops in my country don't sell FRFR speakers. But only one shop has Headrush FRFR-108. And also studio monitors of some famous brands are available here. I have done my research and gone through lots of posts here that made me more confused. Please help me make a right decision whether should I opt for a pair of decent studio monitors or Headrush FRFR-108. I will soulfully appreciate your help based on my entire situation and purposes. I have some specific questions:

1. A pair of decent studio monitors vs Headrush FRFR-108 (maybe a pair of them), your vote? And which one is better for an untreated bedroom?

2. If I choose Headrush-108, is it necessary to buy a pair of them for stereo sound? Or just one piece will suffice? I mean how much is the difference between one piece and a pair?

3. Is there any big difference between Headrush-108 and 112? I can't buy the 112 though as they are not available in my country

4. Is Headrush-108 truly FRFR? Is it a good match for Axe-Fx II XL+?

5. If I opt for Studio monitors which one will be better with Axe-FX between Yamaha HS80M, KRK Rokit8 and JBL LSR308? I am a progressive rock/heavy metal player. I heavily follow 'Dream Theater'. You can answer to this question based on my style of playing as well.

I apologize for asking too many questions. I will be forever grateful to you all if you help me take the right decision. Thanks in advance.

A pair of near field monitors might well be sufficient for home practice and recording. I'd even say they would be more profitable since they would meet every kind of monitoring needs in a more neutral way.
I for one use 8" Eris monitors from Presonus for both bass and guitar through the axe-fx and general DAW usage and I am very happy with this setup. Yet I would not advise monitors less than 8" if you want to get the oomph.

A pair of near field monitors might well be sufficient for home practice and recording. I'd even say they would be more profitable since they would meet every kind of monitoring needs in a more neutral way.
I for one use 8" Eris monitors from Presonus for both bass and guitar through the axe-fx and general DAW usage and I am very happy with this setup. Yet I would not advise monitors less than 8" if you want to get the oomph.
Thanks a lot for the response. I actually have both options in my hand at the moment, either a pair of studio monitors or Headrush 108. I mean I can opt for any of these two options and can afford to buy. I understand you suggested to go for the studio monitors as per my purpose. But yet again I am asking this - if you were given these two options and if you afforded to buy any of them (a pair of studio monitors like Yamaha HS8, KRK Rokit8 AND Headrush FRFR-108), which one would you choose for home practice and band rehearsal in a mid-sized room?

Glad to know that you are enjoying your PreSonus monitors. I can't buy them even if I want as they are not available in my country. I basically have 3 options if I go for studio monitors (Yamaha HS80M, KRK Rokit8 and JBL LSR308). All of them have 8" driver and are available in my country. Which one would you suggest among these three? Thanks again :)

If band rehearsals are in the game (which you didn't mention in the OP) then go for the Headrush, definitely. Not sure how they behave for standard DAW monitoring yet since they are designed for guitar amps simulators.

If band rehearsals are in the game (which you didn't mention in the OP) then go for the Headrush, definitely. Not sure how they behave for standard DAW monitoring yet since they are designed for guitar amps simulators.
True, I didn't mention about band practice. I said I would BASICALLY use the Axe-FX for home practice and recording my next album. Actually I can practice with my band with a PA system in rehearsal pad. So its not necessary or mandatory that I have to carry the studio monitors or Headrush to the pad (If I buy any of them). Still I am asking, just give me an advice, for home practice, sound-wise which will deliver the best overall sound and optimum sound of Axe-Fx, a decent pair of 8" studio monitors OR Headrush 108? I am confused again because I can afford to buy both, I mean a pair of studio monitors like Yamaha HS80M, KRK Rokit8 and JBL LSR308 or a pair of Headrush-108. So I cant take the final decision lol. Thanks again for the reply.

For home practice and recording I would definitely recommend studio monitors. For band rehearsals you can go through the PA and maybe get one Headrush for monitoring at some point.

For home practice and recording I would definitely recommend studio monitors. For band rehearsals you can go through the PA and maybe get one Headrush for monitoring at some point.
Thank you so much for your valuable advice. I have three options if I go for studio monitors- Yamaha HS80M, KRK Rokit8 and JBL LSR308. All have 8" driver. I will really appreciate if you help me choose the best one out these three. I mean which monitors will give the best and optimum sound from the Axe-Fx. Another qustion- do you use any studio monitors for using Axe-Fx or have ever played? Thanks in advance.

I am using JBL LSR305 studio monitors and I am really happy with them. They're amazing for the money. I had the KRK Rokit 5 before and besides having technical issues, I always found them to be a little too heavy on the bass.
I haven't heard the HS80Ms myself but from what I have read, they're really awesome, so I'd go with either the JBLs or these.

As a practical matter, most studio monitors are not designed to be transported. In fact they rarely even have grilles to protect the driver(s).

I am using JBL LSR305 studio monitors and I am really happy with them. They're amazing for the money. I had the KRK Rokit 5 before and besides having technical issues, I always found them to be a little too heavy on the bass.
I haven't heard the HS80Ms myself but from what I have read, they're really awesome, so I'd go with either the JBLs or these.
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response. Those Yamaha HS80Ms have been sold already lol So I can't buy them anymore. So now I am struggling to choose between PreSonus Eris E8 and JBL LSR308. Any suggestion?

I have a CLR Neo but rarely use it at home. I use my Adam’s A7x’s the majority of the time when practicing and recording at home. I find it makes creating patches for recording easier because what you hear recording is what you hear playing back.

I use the Yamaha HS8s and have been fully satisfied.
Yea I know most of the people say good things about Yamaha HSs. But Yamaha is slightly more expansive than these monitors I have mentioned. Do you know about PreSonus Eris E8 and JBL LSR308? Any advice?

I have a CLR Neo but rarely use it at home. I use my Adam’s A7x’s the majority of the time when practicing and recording at home. I find it makes creating patches for recording easier because what you hear recording is what you hear playing back.
I see. Thanks for the response. I wish I could afford to buy Adam monitors. These Adam monitors are not even available in my country. So I have to choose between PreSonus Eris E8 and JBL LSR308. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom