Studio Monitors, FRFR Cab, or PA for use with FM9?

I plan to buy an FM9 when it's in stock again, but I'll need powered speakers too.
Which option would be a better choice for playing at home?

Studio monitors
a FRFR Cab like the Mission Engineering Gemini,
or a plain PA system of some sort?

I prefer to stand up and move around a bit in my practice space,
so I figure the monitors, might not be ideal.

What advice do you have for me?

Hi there! I have the same doubt with the fractal AXE FX3; I'm using an Adam audio t7v studio monitor... but it doesn't feel right; IDK is about the quality, or is just not suitable for this kind of hardware

For home, studio monitors are the most practical solution since you won't be needing the high volume capabilities of PA type cabs. Monitors can still get loud enough.

I think the answer to your question depends on what you're main playing situation is mate. If you're a bedroom shredder and want good sound at reasonable volumes it's hard to beat a decent pair of studio monitors.

If you're after that "amp in the room" sound then in my experience the only way to get there is to use a power amp with a real guitar cab.

If you're playing out or gigging the PA speaker may be a good choice but the power amp + guitar cab works well in this context too.

I am a total newbie to the FM9, which I absolutely love so far. I'm a guy who has been around playing local bar gigs for decades. I'm very happy with my amp/effects live sound, but I'm looking toward future projects where I would use the FM9. I don't need to switch, but I'm inspired by the sounds I can get with this unit and I never start projects without an eye toward future live performance.
So, I've been using my powered Yamaha 10-inch monitors (I don't recall the model, but they have been recently replaced with an MKII model). I use the same speakers for FOH (when I have to bring my own PA) and stage monitors. I doubt they are ideal for the FM9, but then again, if I like the sound coming out of them, that is what the audience will hear. For at least my own on-stage monitoring though, I'd like to try something else.
I don't know when the Atomic CLR neo will come available again, but I have no way to try one in person. In fact, I can't really try any of these in person where I live. I like the looks of the Laney products - the 1 x 12" model in particular as the other is too heavy. There are some cool products in Europe, the GRGuitar GRG112A active FRFR speaker looks attractive as an option, but I can't tell if it would run on USA voltages and shipping would add a lot to cost. My leading candidate right now after reading everything I could find on the forum and elsewhere is the EV PXM-12MP 12. I could use it as a monitor when I wasn't using it with the FM9, which is a bonus.
What are your thoughts, recommendations, etc?
Thanks!
PS - I'm used to a guitar amp behind me, but I'm not seeking the "amp in the room" sound (and I could always eq an output to sound more like a cab if I wanted to), I just want a good representation of the output in a way I can hear and my band can too. We use vocals only in the monitors 95% of the time unless the PA is provided in a larger room. So I want to hear onstage in a familiar way.

If you're after that "amp in the room" sound then in my experience the only way to get there is to use a power amp with a real guitar cab.
I always had a question if I can get that punch and attack that I get from my Egnater combo if I crank the volume on my Focal monitors loud enough. I feel like I can get quite close to it, provided that real amp is not mic'ed..

I plan to buy an FM9 when it's in stock again, but I'll need powered speakers too.
Which option would be a better choice for playing at home?

Studio monitors
a FRFR Cab like the Mission Engineering Gemini,
or a plain PA system of some sort?

I prefer to stand up and move around a bit in my practice space,
so I figure the monitors, might not be ideal.

What advice do you have for me

I use a mission 2x12 powered by SD 770w solid state power amp
IMG_0385.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom