Studio Monitors: Anyone using Behringer B3031A Truth or Behringer B2031A Truth ?

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
I'm not looking for the 'ultimate' in studio monitors - but want something that doesn't sound completely false and crap (I do a good enough job at that before it gets as far as monitoring!) So, 'mildly' false and not too crap and cheap is a good enough benchmark for me.

Does anyone out there use either (or has tried both) the Behringer B3031A or B2031A monitors?

I see the main difference between the 2 as the tweeter size - a 1 inch in the 2031As and a 2 inch in the 3031As.

I like the idea of the large 8.25 woofer and the overall response range looks ok .... but are they shit or not?

I can see what looks like a pair of 2031As sitting on Mark Day's desk on his not too older videos - so if he stuck with them and managed to record all that good tone they can't be all that bad .... or can they??

I'm using the smaller B2030As and I do like them, but "don't know any better".. Which is fine for me ;) I did add a 10" Rokit sub a while ago, though. I tried to match the bass and highs levels to my AKG K271s and now I'm fine switching between those and the Behringers depending on the situation. So, good enough for me at least.

EDIT: One thing I'd like to improve is how they sound when I get up from my chair and step a bit further away (playing)... but that's probably got more to do with their position in the room/small size/nearfield design than anything else? Maybe I need another pair or something..

Last edited:
> Step a bit further away

Unless your room has decent acoustic treatment, you'll always get all sorts of anomalies as you move around the room (nodes/standing waves reinforcing and cancelling each other.) That's the same for any monitor, even near fields.

Just try to be sure your normal listening position is 'neutral' (i.e., not in a major node) if you can't treat the room...

TT

Heard good stuff and some bad about the behringers. All in all it seems like a good bang for the buck :)
I use yamaha hs50m. Really digg em!

Yes ... the other contenders could be the Yamaha HS80's ...... but my pocket likes the sound of the Behringers. Might as well try them I guess seeing as I can send them back if I don't get on with them.

Thanks for the feedback (no pun intended)

I use B3031As and I have been very happy about them. Note: I don't have much experience with studio monitors.

A year ago before I bought them, I did extensive research in the Internet trying to understand what is the best bang for the buck. It seemed that they were better than almost anything with double the price.

I did some A/B'ing and this was all based on my opinion of course, but the Behringers did really well vs most of the competition. I ended up with the HS80M's out of everything though; I thought they had the most direct connection to the music if that makes any sense. Doesn't mean they were the most pleasant to listen to all the time, I just thought they'd work better for mixing. What I considered to be great seperation between instruments could be seen as being a bit too forward sounding to others.

What I considered to be great seperation between instruments could be seen as being a bit too forward sounding to others.

IMO, this is exactly what makes vintage Yamaha NS10m's easy to mix on.

In general your mixes will have the opposite problems as your nearfields and mix room.

So the midrange push of the nearfields tends to make your mixes a tad midrange shy in the same bands. Voila.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom