Studio Monitor Recommendations

Spongy

Hello! I’m brand new to this Forum. I just ordered my very first AxeFX 3 after many many months on the waitlist. I’ve been playing guitar for 33 years and am excited to start exploring the world of amp modeling.

I apologize if this has been asked a million times before but I’m wondering if any of you can recommend some great studio monitors to use with the AxeFx 3? This is for a small home studio I am currently building. I have a relatively small dedicated room (14x14) if that makes a difference. I’m literally open to any budget on these as I I’m looking to make a long term investment. I just want to get the most out of the AxeFx and wondering what you all use (or would avoid). Seems like Adams Monitors are popular on YouTube?? Also, any tips/tricks are welcome! Thank you all very much for your time and help!

Adam Audio A7X seem popular , but alternatives IMO in order are..

1.Yamaha HS5
2.Jbl Lsr305
3.Presonus Eris E5 Xt

For 8 inch , just go with 8 inch versions of those listed

Years ago I got Adams A7X monitors and Sennheiser HD650 headphones and, outside of occasionally pondering a subwoofer, I have not needed or wanted anything monitor wise since.

Well, I'm no engineer but I for one prefer to use the same stereo platform that I use for listening to music with everyday. I'm sure people would have good logic in why not to do something like that, but I know the way music is supposed to sound through it, and it saves a lot of time of recording, and playing back through different systems only to find there's too much bass, high end etc. Studio monitors are mostly flat by design, and therefore boring to my ears for my everyday use. But if you need critical monitoring then maybe they're for you

Distance from the wall? Private isolated house? Unthreated? Which volume do you expect to play at?

Thank you all so very much! This is not a separate house/dwelling or anything. It’s just in a finished portion of my basement. I expect to use it mostly at listening/monitoring levels. Every so often I will crank it up when the wife and kids are not home.

looks like a couple of you are using Adams. Not sure if the 8 inch version is worth it over the 7 inch version for a room of this size but I am more than happy to pay the $1000 per speaker if it is worth it.

I'm in a small untreated room, about 12' x 15' with monitors out from the wall about 1/3 the long distance. I recently replaced my KRK Rockit 6 monitors with the Adam A7X and the difference was more dramatic than I expected (extended low end, tighter sound in general even given the nasty room modes). So I'm a fan of the A7X based on that narrow experience.

Presonus Scepter S8s here, and very happy with them.

If budget isn’t a limitation, the Genelec 8050B is a great sounding, powerful monitor as well.

I got my Adam A77X here some days ago, 250 W each, 3- ways. It can however cut the volume to half the power on front panel. I'm still kind of testing and correcting some music in my DAW creations from the old one. Until now I think they are fantastic, really tight deep bottom and powerful tweeter. I'm a little surprised of the power of the low end, when I unboxed them, my first thought was I would need an extra woofer, but NO, not necessary.

Last edited:
I think Nuemann makes the best monitors for around the $1200 mark. If you do some research you will find some great reviews from Mike senior.

The Focal line has top stuff in all price ranges these days, including headphones as well as monitors. While the Trio and Solo stuff is amazing (and pricey (got a couple Solos here in chicago, ) their newish Shape and Alpha lines are great bang for buck

I had some awful Behringer USB monitors a few years ago and hated them. Since those were my first studio monitors, I assumed you had to spend $600-1000 to get something good so I sold mine and gave up for awhile. A few weeks ago I got a pair of Kali LP-6 and these sound pretty good, especially for $300 all-in.

I’m sure the suggestions above are a bit nicer but with a limited budget, I’m happy with what I got.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom