Studio monitor for Axe-Fx III?

I am selling my JBL LSR28p powered monitors. They're really quite good, and have a fair amount of flexibility. Anyone in NW Oregon who's interested in auditioning them, LMK.

I have both the CLRs (which I’ve used as monitors pole mounted) and the scepter S8s.

For studio/home monitors I prefer the scepters S8 - they have a bit more usable bass than the CLRs.

Last edited:
I have both the CLRs (which I’ve used as monitors pole mounted) and the scepter S8s.

For monitors I prefer the scepters S8 - they have a bit more usable bass as well than the CLRs.

Do you find that your patches translate well from the S8’s to the CLR? I am assuming based off your comment you would need to add in some low end on the CLR but overall any pros or cons on the sceptre vs the CLR? (I’m currently using JBL LSR305’s and hoping the S8’s will be a noticeable upgrade)

I‘ve had the CLR in the past and it was by far the best frfr I ever tried. I have a pair of S8’s incoming and am hoping with the coaxial design it will be similar. Good to hear you actually prefer the S8’s!

I had a a pair of the aps klassik 2020s but had to return them because one of them had woofer rattle. Also they are huge.. as are the A7x so definitely be smarter than me and double check your dimensions.

i now have a set of A5x with sub10. They work fine but definitely no real wow factor. I guess that’s what you want for mixing though. To be honest the APS sounded better by quite a bit in the mids. There was more detail. The downside is they sounded weak in the lows like they needed a sub.

Do you find that your patches translate well from the S8’s to the CLR?

Yeah they do. To me both are in the category of "you get out what you put in".

I am assuming based off your comment you would need to add in some low end on the CLR.

For a standard tuned guitar, not really as it is mostly around 40-80 Hz but very noticeable when playing music through them.
And their respective frequency response charts show that to be the case as well.

but overall any pros or cons on the sceptre vs the CLR? (I’m currently using JBL LSR305’s and hoping the S8’s will be a noticeable upgrade)

For monitoring, yeah I prefer the S8's, they are smaller (but still massive!), lighter, easier to position and have more bass extension. For PA purposes, CLR as it's more rugged and can get very very loud.

I like the gain staging system in the CLR better with separate input trim vs master controls. The S8's only have an input trim control - which I keep at the very lowest setting as the Axe-Fx III can deliver plenty hot signal.

Time will tell if the Sceptre's S8 amps fare better than the CLRs. My CLR amps have failed at least three times - note I bought the CLRs (cabinet style) when they launched (so original design) - I have no experience with the latest tweaked amp (which I believe lowers heat output) - I'm waiting for support to return my plates at the moment (it has taken months).

I‘ve had the CLR in the past and it was by far the best frfr I ever tried. I have a pair of S8’s incoming and am hoping with the coaxial design it will be similar. Good to hear you actually prefer the S8’s!

Once you experience a good co-axial design you can't go back :) - the super stable imaging is killer.

Last edited:
Are RCF ART 910-A monitors good for AXE FX III? I have got this one and it sounds boomy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom