Studio monitor for Axe-Fx III?

All this said, I'd keep an eye out in the buy/sell forum here. After seeing all these posts, you know someone with a pair of monitors is going to have the GAS to upgrade theirs and you'll have a really well-kept pair of something for sale :D FYI - I got a pair of the ADAM A7x from someone here and I've been super pleased with them. I can't comment properly on the sound quality compared to others but I can say they have stood up to being on for days, weeks & maybe months now and are loud as hell if you want them to be. As someone else said - check the measurements - they are bigger than I expected - to make sure you have space for 7" monitors. I also agree with the advice to get the most for your $. It's a PITA to upgrade, so get the best you can now and avoid the upgrades if possible.

I've tried using my CLR's as monitors and it technically works. They sound fantastic. But, there's a very slight hiss which is unnoticeable as soon they are a meter or so away. But sitting in a quiet room with the speakers something like 50cm from my ears and directly facing me, it's very noticeable when there's no sound, it's annoying. The QSC's would have fans in them as well which would be even more annoying than the CLRs. I think it's just one of those things of using the right tool for the right job and PA speakers like the QSC's are not built to be studio monitors.

CLR is way quieter than the Friedman ASM was..... couldn’t stand to be in the room with that constant white noise/hiss.

CLR I can hear with my ear right next to it, but not on the floor thankfully

My Mackie and Presonus desktop monitors have the slightest bit of noise from a few inches, so likely anything will have some noise, just depends on your ear and listening position more than anything

I see a lot of forum members using Adam A7x.

Are any of you using the Adam A5x or A3X? If so, what are your opinions on them?

Also for Adam A7x users, what headphones match up the best with the sound of your Adam monitors (if any)?

Are any of you using the Adam A5x or A3X? If so, what are your opinions on them?

Also for Adam A7x users, what headphones match up the best with the sound of your Adam monitors (if any)?

My DT990 Pro headphones sound really close to my Adam A7Xs (250 ohm).

I am using Adam A5X with the Sub 8. I think they work well and been using them for a few years now. I also have my 2 CLRs close by and although the sound is similar, the CLRs just sound fuller and by comparison there's definitely something missing with the Adams. The other day I was doing some recording with the bass player in one of my bands and he commented on my sound that he thought that I needed a heavier, more impactful sound for this particular song and when I played the same preset through my CLRs he went - "yes, that's the sound, that's what you should be playing" and he was quite surprised when I said it was the same sound through different speakers. So there's definitely something missing with the Adams.

I'm pretty sure I want to upgrade but I don't seem to be able to make a decision and I can sort of make a case for a lot of different ones. I've sold off some stuff recently and been contemplating getting the Genelec 8341 "the One's" - thinking that well if I get those then I know it's pretty much as good as it's ever going to get. I really like the coaxial nature of the CLRs and that would be the same. And they are quite small (about the same depth as the A5x) for such a big speaker as well so wouldn't look massive on my desk, and with the GLM would be easy to tune. But - they are 4 times the price of the CLRs and are they going to be that much better.

The other coaxial alternative would be the Presonus Sceptre's which are much more reasonably priced. But are they really better than the Adams except for being coaxial, or maybe just being coaxial and a bit bigger is enough? I also do like the Adams so maybe going to the A7x's is just the step up I feel I need, or possibly the S2v's for a step up again. But especially the S2v's are quite a bit deeper than the others so might need a bigger desk.

I know that I really need to listen to them live, but there's no place in Sydney that carries all of them, and through this covid situation I prefer not to go to too many new places. And listen at a showroom is not going to be a complete like for like either, and I'd probably want to bring at least one CLR and use that as a reference and it's just been falling in the too hard basket. And the A5x's are definitely a good option as they are. The absolute ideal situation would be to get a few of those speakers for a couple of weeks and just keep one of them but I don't think that's realistic. Maybe I just take a punt on the Sceptre's and I'm sure I can sell them for reasonable money if I don't like them.

Sorry for the sort of thought-dump.

A lot of members on the forum like the CLR's for live playing. Are any of you using the PreSonus Spectre studio monitors at home or in your studio?

PreSonus Sceptre S8 Review vs Genelec 8050 ADAM A7 Comparison

PreSonus Sceptre Coaxial Studio Monitor Overview - Sweetwater Sound

I have an older pair of Event ASP8s and they are great monitors but I’m still on the waiting list. My question for the hive mind is, can you wear out your monitors by using them for hours practicing, which I’ll definitely be doing once my unit finds it’s way home? Would it be better to monitor through an amp or get a second set of monitors for running the AxeFx? Thanks in advance!

I also feel that my 990s are fairly similar to my Adam A7s

I would like to upgrade my Adams to co-axial, and I am looking more and more in this direction https://m.thomann.de/intl/ks_digital_c8_reference.htm?i11l=en_GB:DK.DKK:EUR

However they are fairly expensive and I can't find any reviews

These are also interesting, but again very few reviews are available https://www.aps-company.com/coax-en/
I am very close to getting the KS Digital C8s - Please, somebody stop me, if anyone has experience with those.

I was at Sweetwater last week. I had the chance to A/B several sets of monitors against the Yamaha HS8s that I have at home. We used high bitrate songs that I knew very well. Honestly I couldn’t find enough of a difference between the HS8, Adams AX7, and several other sets in the price range of the Adams to spend money on an upgrade. Neither could either of the sales reps that were helping me. It was disappointing because I had money burning a hole in my pocket. Yes, I realize it wasn’t a perfect experiment but I wanted to spend money and just couldn’t.

Back
Top Bottom