Studio monitor for Axe-Fx III?

I had the JBL 305 and really dug them. Great set of cheap monitors.
When I upgraded to the A7X it was a bit like going from 1080p to 4K: you’re still seeing the same picture, but you’re picking up more detail. Especially in the highs and the mids. And their sweet spot is very wide.

Third on the Yamaha monitors.
I also have the sub as I mix full audio through them.
These are excellent products.

I have the same rig. It sounds great with reference material and synths. The sub also adds a lot of thump to the guitars, even with pretty aggressive low cuts. I've speculated that when some people have trouble translating their home monitor patches to a full PA, it's partly because they did their tweaking on monitors without a whole lot of low end.

I’ve been using Presonus Scepter S8s for years, and they are accurate and powerful. Presets made using them translate well to the CLR monitor I usually use for gigging. The Eris series are much lower in cost, but still sound great.

I’ve been using Presonus Scepter S8s for years, and they are accurate and powerful. Presets made using them translate well to the CLR monitor I usually use for gigging. The Eris series are much lower in cost, but still sound great.

+1

I use s6’s with a t10 sub and they sound near identical to my CLR (just less volume and not the same super wide dispersion of course)

The point is the room.. Treathed? Unthreated? Distance from the walls? In a 3x3 room youll never use more than a 5 inches cone which is also bigger in my opinion and expecially with a fractal or similar devices youll search a flat response.. Iloud micro will be fantastic in that situation.. I say again with the mtm you have the top.. Look at the frequncy covered.. A good alternative or maybe better than the micro are the eve sc203 or 205 if your room is big enough..

Would something like a QSC K12.2 or QSC K10.2 work as a studio monitor, or do you need something specifically designed to be a studio monitor?

Would something like a QSC K12.2 or QSC K10.2 work as a studio monitor, or do you need something specifically designed to be a studio monitor?

I don't know those, and they may "work", but I would always pick actual studio monitors even if it's only to keep you from constantly second guessing

I've tried using my CLR's as monitors and it technically works. They sound fantastic. But, there's a very slight hiss which is unnoticeable as soon they are a meter or so away. But sitting in a quiet room with the speakers something like 50cm from my ears and directly facing me, it's very noticeable when there's no sound, it's annoying. The QSC's would have fans in them as well which would be even more annoying than the CLRs. I think it's just one of those things of using the right tool for the right job and PA speakers like the QSC's are not built to be studio monitors.

I went from the Yamaha HS8 ( fine sounding) to the Eve Audio SC305...... But also tested the Adams A7x which sounds a bit to hifi for my taste .... some unnatural mid high frequency ....And the 5 inch series of Adams VS Eve Audio.... Eve sounded in all the comparisons much more natural overall !

with your budget definitely Eve Audio sc205 😀

I've tried using my CLR's as monitors and it technically works. They sound fantastic. But, there's a very slight hiss which is unnoticeable as soon they are a meter or so away. But sitting in a quiet room with the speakers something like 50cm from my ears and directly facing me, it's very noticeable when there's no sound, it's annoying. The QSC's would have fans in them as well which would be even more annoying than the CLRs. I think it's just one of those things of using the right tool for the right job and PA speakers like the QSC's are not built to be studio monitors.

The hiss comes from the master volume on the CLRs, not the input level controls. So if you keep the masters low, it makes a difference.

The hiss comes from the master volume on the CLRs, not the input level controls. So if you keep the masters low, it makes a difference.

Indeed, I tried to set the master as low as I could, and that certainly made things better, but not perfect - if I wanted to use them on the desk. I even emailed Atomic support and suggested that they added a low volume mode to be able to bring the master down even further, not that I really expect that to happen. For "normal" use it's not noticeable to me and the CLRs are pretty perfect. Which also goes back to my comment of using the right tool for the job.

It would also be really cool if Atomic could make a "studio clr" model with like a 7-8" coaxial speaker.

Back
Top Bottom