Bug? "Studio FB/FF Compressor 2" Knee Type Parameter works only with "Medium" Type

Petrocelli

Inspired
Both upward compressor types have a problem with the knee parameter:
In the Studio FB Compressor 2, when the knee type is changed from 'Medium' to 'Hard', no signal is reproduced. When switching to 'soft' it sounds totally distorted!
The Studio FF Compressor 2 also sounds ugly distorted with 'Hard' or 'Soft' Knee.

Changing the compressor knee should not have any such effect

Both upward compressor types have a problem with the knee parameter:
In the Studio FB Compressor 2, when the knee type is changed from 'Medium' to 'Hard', no signal is reproduced. When switching to 'soft' it sounds totally distorted!
The Studio FF Compressor 2 also sounds ugly distorted with 'Hard' or 'Soft' Knee.

Changing the compressor knee should not have any such effect
I confirmed this today with FB Compressor 1. I use the hard knee in lots of my presets, and it killed my entire signal chain - no output, after some ugly noise. CPU overall was at 68.

Attaching a mock preset. Add the Compressor block in right after the cab. These are my settings (from an Axe-Fx III shot of same preset, i imported into FM3).

I reconstructed the preset block by block to see what the issue was. Got to Compressor. The FF 1 default was working fine. Switched to FB 1 and soon as I switched to Hard Knee heard noise and my signal went away.

I know - this particular setting is a bit weird, because it's for a short slide part up the neck before the song's bridge and uses a Gate (the song Babe I'm gonna leave you by Zeppelin).

I have a bunch of presets that use these setting except usually the ratio is 4:1 - set like an 1176 used as a light limiter, after the cab block, with threshold dialed in to suit material and Level adjust after.

(Flagging @Admin M@ and @yek @Rex @iaresee)

This fixable?

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 6.45.33 PM.png

@BryantP @rglr

This compressors are working fine in the Axe- Fx III in similar presets I've made, but seems to be an issue on the FM3 in my tests.

Attaching a preset here. Install a compressor block after the cab, and try to enter the above settings. My unit will make some noise stop all audio, change ti hard knee.

CPU is under 70%.

Attachments

• GonnaLeaveU TL FM3-c.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
The team has discussed this issue and we can reproduce it. The consensus was that it's a rarely used parameter of a rarely used compressor and while on the list, is towards the bottom.
Understood. Good to know ya'll have it on the list.

I use this compressor in every preset in the Brit Rock Royalty #1 TonePack. To me, it emulates the famed 1176 compressors that act as guitar signal limiters on all the Zep albums (Andy Johns style).

It is working fine in Axe-Fx III versions thankfully, just updated all of those to Cygnus this weekend and discovered this when doing that for FM3 versions.

I will have to tell my customers that own the FM3 that no Cygnus update will be available for that specific Brit Rock Tonepack until this compressor bug is eventually fixed by Fractal Audio down the road.

Thanks Bryant for the head's up!

Back
Top Bottom