Studio AX8 question

roflo

I am about to pull the trigger on a AX8 to record line direct in my recording studio. My question is using the analog stereo outs going line direct with a great set of mic pres and some fantastic converters, will the AX8 deliver pro quality guitar sounds for clients to record with going line direct? I know it would be optimal to record in the tracking room with miking amps/reference speakers but many times its so much more time efficient and easier to go direct line in. So before I pull the trigger I wanted to get some real players responses who have used the AX8 recorded line direct (no amps or miking) and for them to give me their opinion if a pro sound can be achieved . I know the Axe fx 2 XL+ is a bit more versatile but budget is a concern at this point in time........thats one of the pitfalls of owning a commercial studio ......is money budgets.
I have never owned a Fractal unit so excuse such a newbie question. Thanks guy!

It sound the same as a axe-fx II

You will get great result direct, as good as plug in a 57 in front of a cab but way more tweaking ablility.

It sound the same as a axe-fx II

You will get great result direct, as good as plug in a 57 in front of a cab but way more tweaking ablility.

Nice, thats what I want to hear. I have a bunch of amazing amps and i know nothing can beat the real deal but there are many instances in the studio where calling up a preset and doing a few minor tweaks can really help out under tighter recording budgets. Miking cabs trying different amps /cabs getting correct phase and room miking , all of that takes time and a lot of clients get very impatient under the clock and going direct can be a life saver in a session, but only if it sounds amazing! Thanx for the quick response......anyone else have real studio recording experience just recording direct? Your results when mixed?

You can even choose to go out via spdif to have perfect uncolored sound direct to board.

Go to the recording section of the Axe FX forum to hear many examples of AxeFX/AX8 direct to board.

Here is our latest demo (most songs in Danish) with AX8 straight into analog inputs of Focusrite 18i8

I am not nearly as pro as some of the guys here

Nice Smittefar....I assume that's you with the Strat and singer as in your avatar.....Good Band.....Your Start kind of looks like mine...Like the Solo at the end Too!

Thanks - Yes - I am the guy with the strat - The entire demo is recorded with my two PRSs though. The outro solo is actually the guitar theme for the song, so I cannot take credit for the composition.

Thanks - Yes - I am the guy with the strat - The entire demo is recorded with my two PRSs though. The outro solo is actually the guitar theme for the song, so I cannot take credit for the composition.
Well you played it and the feel and tone were NICE,,,,,,,,,,,,

Pull the trigger. Do it. I was in the same boat before purchasing the AX8 - wanted it for recording applications. It has surpassed my expectations. Pristine audio and I don't even use spidif! I was listening back to a few sessions the other day and I couldn't tell which take I had used my real Mark IIC+ and which was the AX8! I actually use the AX8 the opposite as it was intended I think - primarily as a recording tool and occasionally in a live sound application. I did take the unit out of the house the other day over to a friend's house. We had fun comparing the AX8 (through a real cab) with his IIC++ and JP2C. We will have to throw my Mark V into the fray as well one of these days! If the AX8 can impress a couple of die hard Mesa fans like us, the sky is the limit! Good luck and have fun. Peace out...

Pull the trigger. Do it. I was in the same boat before purchasing the AX8 - wanted it for recording applications. It has surpassed my expectations. Pristine audio and I don't even use spidif! I was listening back to a few sessions the other day and I couldn't tell which take I had used my real Mark IIC+ and which was the AX8! I actually use the AX8 the opposite as it was intended I think - primarily as a recording tool and occasionally in a live sound application. I did take the unit out of the house the other day over to a friend's house. We had fun comparing the AX8 (through a real cab) with his IIC++ and JP2C. We will have to throw my Mark V into the fray as well one of these days! If the AX8 can impress a couple of die hard Mesa fans like us, the sky is the limit! Good luck and have fun. Peace out...

Wow......these kind of responses are amazing from real amp guys, to hearing recordings of nothing but primarily direct line recorded AX8 guitars. Has anyone here owned both an AX8 and the Axe FX2 XL ,and outside of the 2 amp thing does each unit sound the same. I have heard it does, but wanted to check with people who have owned both at the same time.......keep those direct recordings coming and all your direct studio AX8 guitar stories also......super cool guys, looking forward to joining the Fractal family!

I've owned both the II and the ax8 - On my last record, all elec guitars were recorded direct. - here's one example of a medium gain kind of tone, which i think some modelers have struggled with if you want an idea, there's two elec guitars in there, a tele and a hollowbody with a filtertron:

Recently sold the II and i'm now ax8 exclusively. I can;t tell the difference, the only downside is the decreased processing power of the ax8 yields fewer total blocks available, so some of my super effect heavy patches had to be modified.

If you've never owned a fractal product, you will not miss what is lacking in AX8 compared to axfx, unless USB audio means anything to you.

If you've never owned a fractal product, you will not miss what is lacking in AX8 compared to axfx, unless USB audio means anything to you.
You can also record digitally via the SPDIF on the AX8 too, as long as your audio interface has the right spigot for it!

You can get great tones from the AX8, but the Axe Fx would be a better option in the studio. You can record via USB, record from two amps at the same time, and also re-amp a lot easier.

I recorded the entire Supernal Endgame CD Touch the Sky Vol II with an Ultra. You can check it out at 10 T Records. Go to the artists page and you'll find Supernal Endgame. You can find samples there.

I used the Stereo output 1 directly to the board. An added bonus was the ability to name the presets once I got them dialed in. I could then set up the Fractal to reproduce the same presets I used for the album in a live performance setting. I had many comments such as "Wow! It sounds just like the album!" \m/ (^_^) \m/.

I've owned both the II and the ax8 - On my last record, all elec guitars were recorded direct. - here's one example of a medium gain kind of tone, which i think some modelers have struggled with if you want an idea, there's two elec guitars in there, a tele and a hollowbody with a filtertron:

I enjoyed that!

Hi,

I am also wondering what would be the best way to record AX8 direct in. Here are some questions:

a) Because the AX8 has somewhat less CPU power than the AXE-FX, I guess it would be wise to apply any reverb in the DAW after recording and spare the CPU power for other effects in AX8?

b) Does any the SPDIF connection provide significantly better results than the traditional audio output (stereo XLR or 6,3mm)?

c) Would it be wise to do the post CAB equalization mainly in the DAW rather than in AX8. With this I mean, would it be wise to record a little "too bright" sound and then smoothen it afterwards at the DAW? This way the sound wouldn't at least be accidentally "too muddy" in the mix and re-amping could be avoided when you have frequency content to work with in the DAW?

Any other advices?

Back
Top Bottom