Studio AX8 question

When recording, it is essential (IMO) to be able to adjust the levels of reverbs and delays in the mix phase. However, I am also a believer of getting the sound right in the first place. So when I record, I record four tracks simultaneously (using the FX loop): A completely dry DI track, and then a W/D/W setup. I.e. I record the amp tone just after the cab block, and then I record the FX with no dry sound to a stereo track.

Here's a screen shot of the preset
Screenshot%202016-04-16%2015.23.57.png

The DI track and the dry amp tone goes to the FX loop and are recorded from there. The reverb and Delay go to the main output and are recorded there. There might still be situations, where you choose to scrap the recorded reverb and delay, but now you have it and it is ready to use. You could also choose not to record the reverb and use a studio/VST reverb for that. Delays are often an integral part of the sound, whereas reverbs might be more part of the mix.

If you set up a preset for recording a single song, I doubt you will ever have CPU trouble. I run into CPU trouble, when I try to do presets that can do everything, but I rarely use that many FX for a single song.

I don't use spdif, and I am very happy with the results coming out of the analog outputs.

I agree that when in doubt, it is probably better to record to much frequency content and remove it in the mix phase rather than going the other way.

I'm with Smittefar. Usually I record guitar tracks dry and use plug-ins on the DAW for reverb/delay (FAS sells a reverb plug-in). Also all kind of stereo enhancements is done after recording. From a frequency perspective all you need to do is to make use of the available headroom during recording. This will allow you to to adjust the sound through EQing by simply damping instead of boosting missing frequency ranges.

You can even choose to go out via spdif to have perfect uncolored sound direct to board.

Go to the recording section of the Axe FX forum to hear many examples of AxeFX/AX8 direct to board.

Here is our latest demo (most songs in Danish) with AX8 straight into analog inputs of Focusrite 18i8

I am not nearly as pro as some of the guys here

OK stumbled on this thread and b-lined for the video.. nice production, fun to watch, great guitar tone too... & u r in Denmark? very cool!

Back
Top Bottom