stuck it to GC and a good deal on monitors

Everyone complains about GC.........but everyone also loves that GC has the item they want in stock so you can check it out, take it home with you instead of waiting for someone online to ship it, etc... Believe it or not it costs money to have an item in stock. There is freight to get the item to the store. They have to pay someone to receive the item into inventory. They have to pay rent for all the shelf space that it requires to have all this stuff in inventory..............and then they have to pay no less than three employees (two at the management level no less) to deal with some shit head customer who wants to "stick it" to them because they are committing the evil act of having a conveniently located store with plenty of inventory at fair prices I guess?
You did get a good deal, although there was still cost involved.....maybe not a cash cost, but nothing is free. The number one cost was having to deliberately act like an “asshole” (your word), make a shameful fool of yourself in public and treat people who didn't deserve it disrespectfully. Is there a karmic cost to such behavior? I don't know, but there is certainly a cost to your self respect (if you have any). How much you're willing to sell your self respect for is subjective I suppose, some people just don't have much human decency and put a much lower value on this sort of thing than others. The second cost is your standing with the employees of your local store (which you obviously shop at despite your apparent disdain......which is really weird if you think about it). In the future these guys will see you coming, they won't want to help you, they will be less likely to give you good deals, they will all try to avoid you until you launch into another childish fit, thus forcing them to deal with you. Would paying a little more money this time, but being respectful to the employees have ended up saving you more money in the long run? Maybe had you done that they would see you as a good customer and be inclined to help you out and give you good deals in the future, thus saving you more money in total than you saved in this deal alone. Who knows, it's impossible to say for sure. Perhaps it's something to consider though.

I try not to go to GC after they accused me of dropping a brand new guitar that i brought back the next day. The neck was pulling away from the guitar as well as the top layer of lacquer pulling away from the tuning pegs. I'm not new to Les Pauls and kept it in its case for a few hours before pulling it out etc.. The next day after noticing all these things I brought it back in to another GC that was closer to my house. The idiot manager accused me of dropping it saying that, that's the only way this could be happening. Low and behold after saying how insulted I was that he was saying this. Afterall I just bought a 2300 dollar guitar that is crap apparently! He finally called the other GC store and they looked at all their similar models and they were actually doing the same thing. I told the manager be careful next time before you accuse a customer who has bought over 15k easily from you because that is the last time I buy a guitar from them. Sadly they do have some of the best deals. I've avoided them for the most part and go to sweetwater for everything i possibly can.

It's not all about how little you can pay for something. Sure, we all want more "stuff" for the money we have, but there needs to be balance. Pay a man/woman a fair wage and he can support his family and spend money in the community. It's the constant "low ball" pricing that drives profits out of businesses, and drives wages down. In the long run we all lose. And no, I'm not pro-union. I'm pro balance and reasonableness. If we were all willing to not be greedy (good luck, starting with me, human nature being what it is), from the CEO to the union worker to the guy trying to see how much of a steal he can get something for, we would fare much better in the long run.

I've had my share of deals at GC, particularly when they used to have list sales and blow some things out WAY below cost (bought Yamaha digital piano in box for $800 that I sold for $1600 on Ebay to a guy 5 miles away....custom shop Strat for $900 and on and on and on). None of those sales exist now. After the economic meltdown they were selling their used stuff and letting you use discount coupons on them. Bought a bunch of stuff cheaply that way.

That said, I wouldn't force them to price match some ridiculous Walmart price. I'd just buy it from Walmart (not that I buy anything from Walmart normally). And I wouldn't be an asshole in the store just to get my way. I've bought plenty of stuff from GC and I think it is a balance as previously noted. If I want them to exist so I can have things on the shelf and in town when I need them, then I should be willing to deal fairly with them. I will absolutely take advantage of sale stuff and under-priced used stuff. They're still doing fine on that, but I don't make them price match stores that have zero overhead on the same item. I find the quality of staff to vary vastly, but I've encountered plenty of decent people working there just trying to get by on a crap salary in a weird retail environment and see no reason to treat them badly.

I've had some clueless moments and mediocre service at times, but I've never felt screwed in any deal by them and their return policy is quite generous and shipping is crazy reasonable. On used stuff shipped from wherever, you can return locally and get full refund including shipping. Try that on Ebay or CL or wherever that has a used inventory remotely the size of GC's (Actually I don't think anyone can touch the size of their collective used inventory).

Here's the thing:

If they're not going below cost, a vendor should give the deal if they can. If they can order more, what's to lose?

But it's always been kind of an unwritten rule - when a vendor gives you a huge discount or hooks you up, you don't turn around and tell all his customers "hey guys don't pay that! I paid THIS!!".

I think this mentality we see now on deal and gear sites is what has made many shops much more hesitant to price match or give discounts to customers. However, on the same hand I've gotten excellent treatment at local shops simply by showing my face often and buying stuff. What kind of excellent treatment? That's the thing - I don't blab that kind of stuff on the internet. They're doing me a favor, I do them one.

But in the long run I've learned to vote with my feet. I don't throw fits in music stores. Music stores can throw their own fits when I stop blowing way too much of my money there. However, I'd never hold it against a vendor for not being able to match an exceptional deal. It's the regular prices, support, and treatment that get my business. Not hot deals. Coupons and deals don't build loyalty for customers OR vendors.

TLDR: All I could hear in the OP is "I threw a fit in a music store". And it made my day a little sad. Glad you got your speakers you could have gotten at Walmart without embarrassing yourself or ruining anyone's day.

Man. I sure was full of myself when I made that post .
FACT is , GC got screwed by their own policy .
Walmart sells them cheaper , GC has a price match GUARANTEE .
END OF STORY.
The tried to say I wasn't eligible for price match because I would have to wait for walmart shipping.
If I ordered from GC.com , I would have waited for GC shipping .
This is normal for GC .
example
Guitar Center Lowest Price Guarantee Scam Corpus Christi, Texas | iBeChris.com - Chris Elliott
Same exact situation .
Next time I go to that GC ( there are 3 in my area ), I probably won't see any of those same people. GC around here has very transient employees .

you haters/knowitalls crack me up . keep it coming

I vote this thread as having the most overreaction ever!!

What's the problem?? This guy held them to their price match guarantee. He didn't back down & got his way. Good for him.

It was a transaction between adults, get over it. You guys crack me up!! lol

I vote this thread as having the most overreaction ever!!

What's the problem?? This guy held them to their price match guarantee. He didn't back down & got his way. Good for him.

It was a transaction between adults, get over it. You guys crack me up!! lol

How can it be overreacting if people just say their oppinion?
If you come on a forum and tell a story like this, you really have to expect all kinds of replys.
Flaming people for having another morale or oppinion is a bit low IMO.
I don't really have an oppinion on this, I think i would just have bougth the wallmart instead of making a fool of myself.
And if I did make a fool of myself in public (wich i actually make a pride trying not to do), I would deff not go on and brag about it afterwards.
Maybe its my age, no idea. I also don't get the whole reality tv thing where you turn yourself into a national fool and feel proud of it.
Might be some generation thing.
Anyways you got a good deal so gratz on that.

Man. I sure was full of myself when I made that post .
FACT is , GC got screwed by their own policy .
Walmart sells them cheaper , GC has a price match GUARANTEE .
END OF STORY.
The tried to say I wasn't eligible for price match because I would have to wait for walmart shipping.
If I ordered from GC.com , I would have waited for GC shipping .
This is normal for GC .
example
Guitar Center Lowest Price Guarantee Scam Corpus Christi, Texas | iBeChris.com - Chris Elliott
Same exact situation .
Next time I go to that GC ( there are 3 in my area ), I probably won't see any of those same people. GC around here has very transient employees .

I never said it was bad that you got the deal you wanted; you don't need to justify that to anyone. Hell, you don't even need to justify the way you treat people in the interest of getting your way either......that's between you and you. YOU started the thread to brag about how you were an asshole and abused people who didn't deserve it..........we didn't drag that information out of you, you happily volunteered it. You have revealed the type of person you are; unfortunately you were thinking that you would get a different reaction from people. I'm sure when you started the thread you thought that everyone would congratulate you on sticking it to the man and admire you for putting them all in their place to get your way. Well it turns out most people aren't impressed (for obvious reasons). If you don't like the opinions then don't start the thread. If you're gonna start a thread to brag about what an asshole you are then be prepared for people to think you're an asshole. I'm not sure why it even bothers you? This is obviously the type of person you want to be.

I don't even need more monitors, but I'm going to Guitar Center to buy a pair of these for the Wal Mart price!! lol

If these stores advertise that they will price match any other major retailer, then I'm holding them to it!! They always say they will as long as the other major retailer isn't just slashing prices on some blowout deal. Wal Mart is not advertising it as a major blowout deal, it's just their regular price.

Stay tuned..........

Haters?! Wow, TheSphincts, I don't think anyone was hating on you man. Nor do I think those that disagreed with your tactics are knowitalls. In fact, the older I get the less I think I know and the more gray complex issues become. So, please just take it or leave it. If you can see any truth in the other side, humbly learn from it. If not, take a mature view and ignore. No need for name calling.

How can it be overreacting if people just say their oppinion?
If you come on a forum and tell a story like this, you really have to expect all kinds of replys.
Flaming people for having another morale or oppinion is a bit low IMO.
I don't really have an oppinion on this, I think i would just have bougth the wallmart instead of making a fool of myself.
And if I did make a fool of myself in public (wich i actually make a pride trying not to do), I would deff not go on and brag about it afterwards.
Maybe its my age, no idea. I also don't get the whole reality tv thing where you turn yourself into a national fool and feel proud of it.
Might be some generation thing.
Anyways you got a good deal so gratz on that.

oh ole ,You mad bro ? cause flaming people for having another morale or oppinion is a bit low IYO. so why do YOU do it ? yyou mmake a ffool of yyoursself in public all tthe ttime IMO

How come no one recognizes the fact that I brought you ungrateful bitches a GREAT deal on some good monitors ?
I guess no good deed goes unpunished .

dont care to get involved in the moral integrity debate going on. Its pretty well-covered

I just think its hillarious that that there is this argument over whether "The Sphinct" is an arsehole or not :D

oh ole ,You mad bro ? cause flaming people for having another morale or oppinion is a bit low IYO. so why do YOU do it ? yyou mmake a ffool of yyoursself in public all tthe ttime IMO

How come no one recognizes the fact that I brought you ungrateful bitches a GREAT deal on some good monitors ?
I guess no good deed goes unpunished .

I am mad becus i dont share your oppinion?
I'm sorry but i simply dont see what you mean i flame about.
But hey, Ill live :)
Also wish you a very pleasant day Sir.

dont care to get involved in the moral integrity debate going on. Its pretty well-covered

I just think its hillarious that that there is this argument over whether "The Sphinct" is an arsehole or not :D

Oh no, noone is agrguing that. He stated that himself :D

Back
Top Bottom