Stuck in a hotel room with my Axe and some headphones...

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
and it's driving me crazy! How does anyone play through headphones? Was hoping to dial in some tones, mess with some ir's, get a little practicing and recording in but man is it a tough go through these cans. So uninspiring...

AKG K240's, for the record...

I mean, it's only 3 days (today is the last day, thankfully)...but honestly, if i had to play like this all the time i don't know what i'd do. i guess it might be interesting to make some tweaks here and see how they translate when i get home to my CLR tomorrow...

Well the reality is that most people listen to music on headphones, earbuds or something along the lines of that. :)

I try to keep myself 50% headphones and 50% studio monitors. There are times when I work during the night a lot which means I'm only working with headphones. This way volume levels stay the same and I get less ear fatigue etc. To be honest I suggest people to invest in proper headphones. I think the Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones I own are extremely good for making even serious mixes. Obviously most of my work gets done with my monitors but I always check things with my headphones.

In the end it's all about getting to know your monitoring gear and trusting it. I think in this case the problem was that you're simply so used to having monitors instead of headphones rather than the headphones being bad. :)

Well the reality is that most people listen to music on headphones, earbuds or something along the lines of that. :)

I try to keep myself 50% headphones and 50% studio monitors. There are times when I work during the night a lot which means I'm only working with headphones. This way volume levels stay the same and I get less ear fatigue etc. To be honest I suggest people to invest in proper headphones. I think the Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones I own are extremely good for making even serious mixes. Obviously most of my work gets done with my monitors but I always check things with my headphones.

In the end it's all about getting to know your monitoring gear and trusting it. I think in this case the problem was that you're simply so used to having monitors instead of headphones rather than the headphones being bad. :)

oh i have no doubt that's what it is. tbh, I've NEVER played my Axe direct through phones like this. I'm certain it's more my lack of experience with this medium than the medium itself.

I always use stereo output when practicing with headphones - much more enjoyable experience.

Jlynn now living in Texas, Clark 1 month into his new ID.....given our lives are continually so full of change, not sure I like it in the forum!

Of course, wish Jlynn well in your new location, and Mikko with your new venture.

have a good one all.

thanks
Gilesy

When playing thru headphones, add some Room (don't be afraid to add quite a bit) from the Cab block. When playing thru headphones, you're missing out on all those early reflections that liven things up.

I have ATH M50s and love them for the Axe. In fact, I almost always use them when I'm playing at home.

I have some Senn HD650's and honestly it's hard to take them off. I'm guessing we all get used to our environment.

Hey Jlynnb1

I am in hotel rooms a lot. If you have the right cable Plug either the headphone out mini to RCA or outs 1-2 quarter to RCA into you hotel room TV aux in. If its a flat screen tv then it is stereo and the aux in is usually free for games. I use that or a very cool little $30 JBL speaker made for iPad/iphones It all works you can't play too loud in your hotel room or they will be at your door in a second. But the TV is more than loud enough. :) I wouldn't to any critical Tone tweaking but playing and adjusting effects is all food. :)

i guess it might be interesting to make some tweaks here and see how they translate when i get home to my CLR tomorrow...
That's totally worth doing. The experience you gain will be useful one day.

Hey Jlynnb1

I am in hotel rooms a lot. If you have the right cable Plug either the headphone out mini to RCA or outs 1-2 quarter to RCA into you hotel room TV aux in. If its a flat screen tv then it is stereo and the aux in is usually free for games. I use that or a very cool little $30 JBL speaker made for iPad/iphones It all works you can't play too loud in your hotel room or they will be at your door in a second. But the TV is more than loud enough. :) I wouldn't to any critical Tone tweaking but playing and adjusting effects is all food. :)

staying at aLoft...had I known they had that little media interface thingy I would have def brought the cables to plug in to it! When i get my new molded iem's i'll be interested to hear how the tones translate. they didn't sound BAD, just different....i have a feeling the cans weren't doing me any favors. tones that I'm very familiar with sounded dull and plasticy, i know it was the phones, because they DO NOT sound like that through my CLR.

My Beyer DT770 Pro's sound good, but it definitely is different for sure-I felt like you do now when I first used them-but got used to it. So I know what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom