Stuck at Crossroads: Focal 6be Monitors or Apollo Quad?

Muzick

Experienced
Hello everyone,

Over the past couple months I've been trying to balance my options:

1. Do I buy Focal 6be SOLO monitors? OR
  2. Do I buy the Apollo Quad Audio Interface?

At the moment I've got a pair of Blu Sky Monitors. When I bought them originally they cost $400 bucks, and they have served me well. Also at the moment I've got a Steinberg MR816CSX Audio Interface. It's also served me well but the mic pres are noticeably lacking in the dynamic range. Vocals sound thin compared to other interfaces my band has worked with. The apollo quad would be a nice upgrade, especially for the plugin integration, but my monitoring is intermediate... at best.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Really all I need an audio interface for is for a nice Mic Pre. Perhaps that would be a better option to consider? I've had the opportunity (and still have access to) to use a Grace 2 channel mic pre. WOW what a noticeable difference in the quality of vocals. However it was dependent on me going through the mr816csx as the Grace did not have computer connectivity. Even though I was going through a superior Mic PRE, would the Steinberg still limit it's quality?

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Over the past couple months I've been trying to balance my options:

1. Do I buy Focal 6be SOLO monitors? OR
  2. Do I buy the Apollo Quad Audio Interface?

At the moment I've got a pair of Blu Sky Monitors. When I bought them originally they cost $400 bucks, and they have served me well. Also at the moment I've got a Steinberg MR816CSX Audio Interface. It's also served me well but the mic pres are noticeably lacking in the dynamic range. Vocals sound thin compared to other interfaces my band has worked with. The apollo quad would be a nice upgrade, especially for the plugin integration, but my monitoring is intermediate... at best.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Really all I need an audio interface for is for a nice Mic Pre. Perhaps that would be a better option to consider? I've had the opportunity (and still have access to) to use a Grace 2 channel mic pre. WOW what a noticeable difference in the quality of vocals. However it was dependent on me going through the mr816csx as the Grace did not have computer connectivity. Even though I was going through a superior Mic PRE, would the Steinberg still limit it's quality?
Might as well invest in a good pair of monitors first and then get an audio interface I mean why not just get a good mic-pre if that is your main purpose. The Apollo is an amazing interface but using it for just one reason doesn't justify spending that much money on it. That's my take.

Might as well invest in a good pair of monitors first and then get an audio interface I mean why not just get a good mic-pre if that is your main purpose. The Apollo is an amazing interface but using it for just one reason doesn't justify spending that much money on it. That's my take.

Indeed. My only reservation would be great to have "near hardware quality" plugins. Even though I was set on grabbing the Apollo, I think the Focal 6be's would be more beneficial at this point.

Thanks,
Brandon

Indeed. My only reservation would be great to have "near hardware quality" plugins. Even though I was set on grabbing the Apollo, I think the Focal 6be's would be more beneficial at this point.

Thanks,
Brandon
Yea I think that's the right way to go.
Once you have the speaks then get the Apollo.
Good luck :)

Thanks for your advice immortal and matt. I think I'll go with the focals.

Thinking about this further, people always describe being able to hear the intricacies in music. While I can hear improvements in different vocal preamps with my current monitoring, hearing different eq values has been very difficult. IE: Should clearly be able to hear a 1dB cut or boost to X frequency range, but I have to sit there, A/Bing those changes for quite some time before I can convince myself, lol.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your advice immortal and matt. I think I'll go with the focals.

Thinking about this further, people always describe being able to hear the intricacies in music. While I can hear improvements in different vocal preamps with my current monitoring, hearing different eq values has been very difficult. IE: Should clearly be able to hear a 1dB cut or boost to X frequency range, but I have to sit there, A/Bing those changes for quite some time before I can convince myself, lol.

Thanks again!
You're welcome man.
Hahaha yea hearing different eq values is something that needs more critical listening which can be provided with really good studio monitors.
If you're looking for good mic-pres "Audient" make some really good stuff.

You're welcome man.
Hahaha yea hearing different eq values is something that needs more critical listening which can be provided with really good studio monitors.
If you're looking for good mic-pres "Audient" make some really good stuff.

Awesome! That's the recommendation I was looking for.

BTW - Can you tell me if my current audio interface will limit the quality of a mic preamp, if it doesn't connect directly to the computer itself?

Awesome! That's the recommendation I was looking for.

BTW - Can you tell me if my current audio interface will limit the quality of a mic preamp, if it doesn't connect directly to the computer itself?
Well the thing is anything in the signal chain could affect even the really well built stuff if the chain has something that isn't well built. For the price
these Steinberg interfaces are a pretty good bang for the buck. I currently still use a Motu 896 MK3,it's a great interface but I know somewhere down the road
I'll upgrade my interface to something like the Apollo or the Apollo itself. I think if anything the mic-pre should improve the results when connected with the
Steinberg but the question is,would it be utilised to it's best abilities?

I think for now it can do,I think unless you don't try you won't exactly know right. Follow your ears and see what works for you. I think you should be alright for a while,
when you have the cash then upgrade your interface.

Back
Top Bottom