Strymon Timeline Preset Clones? Patterned Trem?

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
Have any Timeline users tried to replicate some of the more interesting presets from the Strymon Timeline? I'd be curious to hear your experiences.

How about this patterned tremolo setting from the Mobius - is there a way to hook this up in the Axe? (Go to 10:41 if the link doesn't start you there).

Have any Timeline users tried to replicate some of the more interesting presets from the Strymon Timeline? I'd be curious to hear your experiences.

How about this patterned tremolo setting from the Mobius - is there a way to hook this up in the Axe? (Go to 10:41 if the link doesn't start you there).

Flippin the switch preset does a similar thing. We have a 32 step sequencer so those patterns ought to be possible. I have a möbius, if I have some time I look at that preset.

Flippin the switch preset does a similar thing. We have a 32 step sequencer so those patterns ought to be possible. I have a möbius, if I have some time I look at that preset.

I'll check that preset out. Thanks Sean, I thought you had some Strymon pedals.

for the pattern trem, just tie the sequencer to a volume block. you can set it up so the pattern plays continuously, or retriggers every time you hit a chord. to do the retrigger, attach envelope to the "run" parameter. sean will figure out that pattern for you

For a pattern like that you'd need an LFO controlling level, with sequencer controlling LFO rate. So beat by beat the sequencer would change the LFO rate to get a different number of cycles per beat, in this case 4-2-1-6-4-3-1-2.

You'd have to build the preset to work at a specific tempo because you're controlling LFO rate directly. (If the "tempo" parameter of blocks could have a modifier this would be easier and usable with tap tempo.) A 2nd LFO as the 1st LFO & sequencer run source (with your playing or a switch triggering the 2nd LFO) might also be of use to keep LFO/sequencer synced as the pattern repeats. At the end of the sequence LFO2 would quickly stop & restart LFO1 & sequencer.

Actually the sequencer can do it all by itself if there are enough steps to complete the pattern

Actually the sequencer can do it all by itself if there are enough steps to complete the pattern

That's the problem with this pattern, 96 steps would be needed. For the sextuplet beats you need 12 steps, so that determines the total (12x8). (Actually 6 steps/beat could do sextuplets with the right modifier shape, but then you can't get straight 16ths, and that would still be 48 steps.)

Timeline sounds

Hey I just posted a video yesterday of some of my live sounds. These were my attempt at creating the sounds I was getting from my Timeline and Blue Sky (mainly the Ice and Swell Delays). I also have a preset for a Dual delay, but it's not in this video.

I don't know how "close" or "authentic" they are, but they sound pretty decent to me. In a few instances, I have made them better on the Axe just for me personally...

Here's an Axe example of the pattern in that clip:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28651/axefx/patterntrem.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28651/axefx/euroredtrem.syx

There's nothing guaranteeing sync over time in this one but it stays in sync fine for a few repeats at least. ADSR1 is used to restart LFO/sequencer when you play hard enough. To use a new tempo:

1. Adjust the actual preset tempo.
2. Note the new (tempo-synced) sequencer rate, then go to the LFO 1 rate modifier.
3. Set MIN as close as possible to the rate from step 2. Set MAX to 8x that rate.

Adjust sequencer values to change the rhythm. Here are values for 1 to 8 notes per beat:

1/4 = 0
1/8 = 33.3
1/12 (triplet) = 52.8
1/16 = 66.7
1/20 (quintuplet) = 77.4
1/24 (sextuplet) = 86.2
1/28 (septuplet) = 93.6
1/32 = 100

Other values that might be useful, 2 beats required to complete whole # of cycles:
1/10 (8th quintuplet) = 44.1
1/6 (1/4 triplet) = 19.5

Hey I just posted a video yesterday of some of my live sounds. These were my attempt at creating the sounds I was getting from my Timeline and Blue Sky (mainly the Ice and Swell Delays). I also have a preset for a Dual delay, but it's not in this video.

I don't know how "close" or "authentic" they are, but they sound pretty decent to me. In a few instances, I have made them better on the Axe just for me personally...

SolarPowered,

Those are fantastic Timeline replications. Can you share those patches?

@joshuab - Sure! Glad you dig them. I've never shared patches before, so I'll give it a shot. That said - I think the tone might be a little weird as I run my amp sounds REALLY bright and clean (for band purposes).

I'll let you know when they are up (possibly today - more than likely next weeek...crazy Memorial Day weekend)...

SolarPoweredSD,
Noice job, man! I'd like to check out your patches, as well. They're probably not something I'd use in "everyday playing out", but I'd like to see how you're setting your patches up, more than anything. Great showing off tool for the Fractal, too! :pride:

@joshuab - Sure! Glad you dig them. I've never shared patches before, so I'll give it a shot.

I'll let you know when they are up (possibly today - more than likely next weeek...crazy Memorial Day weekend)...

Love the sounds and would love the patches as well. Great job! But, what's more important over Memorial Day? Your family or a bunch of sweaty (some fat and balding (myself included)) guitar player dudes?

Hey dudes. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Trying to upload these Stymon-sounding patches for those interested. However, when I go to put in the info for the upload - it won't let me change the name of the patch (which is fine) - it says it will use the name from my Axe-FX automatically. However, when I try to click "continue" it says I need to give it a name...?? Any suggestions?

Hey SolarPoweredSD.

I just uploaded a preset to see what you mean and I don't get that and I go straight to info page and then clicked continue (or upload.. one or the other) and it was successfully loaded.

Are you using the AxeChange to upload? Perhaps there is an upload with the same name? Not sure if the site allows duplicate names. Why don't you just try changing the name directly on your computer and try to upload it?

Thanks for the effort, mate. It sounded great in the clip :)

Back
Top Bottom