Strymon Timeline emulation?

crg123

Experienced
Hey guys. I've been borrowing my friend's Mark II for a few months and ended up loving it so much that I sprung for the XL (ouch my wallet haha).

Anyone my favorite patches I've found for the axe has been the strymon Bigsky emulation posted by javajunkie in http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/77739-strymon-bigsky-style-verb.html

I was hoping someone could guide me into getting a sound closer to the Timeline in this video (Don't care so much about the ending effect): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpbBbmoC5Ww Bank 12 Patch A to be specific, I understand its a very dynamic pedal but this is the sound I'm after.

I've always loved the layered textures that occur with this pedal and having seen how well the Bigsky was able to be replicated gives me hope I could get something close to this on the XL.

Thanks for the help!

I was hoping someone could guide me into getting a sound closer to the Timeline in this video (Don't care so much about the ending effect): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpbBbmoC5Ww Bank 12 Patch A to be specific, I understand its a very dynamic pedal but this is the sound I'm after.

When I build my ambient presets, typically my top row grid is a straight SHUNT across with 1 VOL/2 at the beginning and 1 REVERB block. With FW 17.02, the Ambient Reverb style set at 18 Seconds with a mix of about 30% and density to 8 with zero pre-delay gives a nice consistent reverb ABOVE your preset.

So build a preset with a top row straight shunt and 1 Ambient Reverb block in it for the direct dry guitar signal reverb. The second row put an VOL/1: (For swells modifier for exp. pedal) | AMP: Super Verb | CAB: Super Verb 2X12 | REVERB: Ambient @ 20% mix 5 sec with a slight pre-delay.

Does that get you close? Strymon makes great stuff and it's sometimes hard to get EXACTLY what you want, but the AFX doesn't discolor the sound of the amps it's playing through. My friend uses a ton of Strymon in front of his Dr. Z. By the time it gets to the Dr. Z, it isn't a Dr. Z anymore... That's the beauty of the AFX is the consistency.

Thanks! I'll try it out tonight. That's some good advice. I'm trying to learn how to do more complicated "wiring" to produce things like this.

Thanks! I'll try it out tonight. That's some good advice. I'm trying to learn how to do more complicated "wiring" to produce things like this.

Cool let us know, this is pretty much how I build presets now with a level of reverb consistently above the actual amp & cab I/O. I actually learned the method from a preset that is in the factory defaults but cannot remember which one...

I am going to start messing around with voicing also in front of the REVERB blocks with the FORMANT block in front of it. Again, Strymon stuff is pretty slick but it's closely mimicked through the AFX technology ;) .

Hmm. I must be doing something wrong. It just sounds like a normal low density reverb. I'm assuming im going to have to add something to get that shimmering modulation effect in.

Hmm. I must be doing something wrong. It just sounds like a normal low density reverb. I'm assuming im going to have to add something to get that shimmering modulation effect in.

No you're not doing anything wrong, I listened to your sample a bit closer and that 'shimmer' is more like an oscillation in the signal chain. You could try adding a tremolo block with light mix and triangle sine before your top row REVERB signal in just before the reverb block.

I haven't tried this myself and I'm at work right now but could try it later tonight at rehearsal.

Simeon on here could chime in if he is online also, being the 'verb-ambience-zenmaster'.

Yea I've been messing around with a ton of settings but nothing that gets close to that depth or warmth. :/

i hear three things going on. long reverb, plex delay and pitch modulation

i would try plex detune with random delay times between 100ms and 500ms (shortest delay time for delay 1 etc) with a really low mix. that will give you density and movement. feed that into a badass reverb. the pitch modulation may be accomplished in the reverb block itself (check the mod depth and rate) but it might not be quite right (can't test at the moment), so you could split the reverb out to a chorus set up like a vibrato and mix that back in. it should be do-able. i'll have a look later and post my findings.

here you go, see if you like this....

(i have external 1 attached to the volume block, so if you get no sound un-attach it)

edit - forgot there was a user cab in cab slot B - it was the TAF 2x10 jensens - replace it with something fendery if you don't have that one (i think it was a free one)

Attachments

• Strymon Modulated Reverb.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 134
Simeon you're a magician! This is absolutely lovely. Out of curiosity what kind of expression pedals do you use I was thinking of picking up one for volume, pitch shifting and effects controlling?

Thank you again. Its amazing.

Oh weird I was only clocking in at the high 70%. Maybe it's because I have the XL. I'll check out you patch later neo! Thanks

what other pedals was the guy using in front of his Z? i've never had any Strymon pedals color tone...unless there were some weird level issues happening in a preset or something.

Back
Top Bottom